New Garmin Etrex

Just saw this on the Garmin Blog:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2011/05/the-new-etrex-garmins-best-selling-gps-handheld-just-got-better.html

New Garmin eTrex 10, 20 & 30.

EDIT: Shame I can't edit the subject to include the model numbers.

Glad to see these are finally out, and its about time. The etrex series was starting to look very antiquated and it was a pain for us Geocachers because they were not paperless units. Finally it seems they will have paperless caching built into all of their non driving GPS units. It will be nice to see a good inexpensive option when compared to the Dakota's, Oregon's, and Montana's.

I still think the price for the etrex 20 & 30 is kind of expensive ($199 & $299 respectfully.) I was hoping for more along the lines of $150 & $200. Time will tell if they are worth the money or not.

I still think the price for the etrex 20 & 30 is kind of expensive ($199 & $299 respectfully.)

I would disagree with that, for example: compare the eTrex 30 vs the eTrex Vista HCx you would get a lot more for the same published MSRP: ANT+, 3-axis electronic compass, BirdsEye & Garmin Custom Maps capable, paperless caching, GLONASS, etc...

I see one of these coming to my handlebars -- as a cue sheet and cyclometer. For this use I actually prefer a minimal, monochrome device like the eTrex 10.

I wouldn't worry about retail pricing. Only bleeding edge early adopters pay retail.

Nor would I worry along the lines of "wish I had waited for THIS one instead if buying THAT one.". You can always buy/sell/trade up or down. If it weren't so, my hobbies would leave me flat broke but with garage full of old toys.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

I still think the price for the etrex 20 & 30 is kind of expensive ($199 & $299 respectfully.)

I would disagree with that, for example: compare the eTrex 30 vs the eTrex Vista HCx you would get a lot more for the same published MSRP: ANT+, 3-axis electronic compass, BirdsEye & Garmin Custom Maps capable, paperless caching, GLONASS, etc...

Ya the more I think about it I was comparing the MSRP of the etrex with the retail price of the Dakota 20 which are roughly the same. I'm sure it will end up being $250-$275 once it is all said and done and I think that is fair.

Available 3rd quarter 2011. I think it is great that the eTrex line is finally getting paperless capability - about time! Not great for the resale value of my Venture HC though :)

I searched but could not find information such as:

• Number of geocaches that can be loaded (2000 or 5000?)
  • Amount of internal memory
  • Screen resolution (presumably around 176x220 or 160x240)

Available 3rd quarter 2011. I think it is great that the eTrex line is finally getting paperless capability - about time! Not great for the resale value of my Venture HC though :)

I know! I just bought a venture hc and I'm mad that I did! It definitely won't sell for as much as I bought it for and if it does even get me 80 dollars and if I sell my Etrex H for 60 or 50, then that leaves me to find the other 120 dollars!! :(

I know! I just bought a venture hc and I'm mad that I did!

I know it's easy to say this when it's not my own money, but don't fret too much about it. Trying to keep ahead of manufacturer's new products all the time is a losing proposition. And just look at all the iDevice buying folks. They buy, even though they know that in 1 year, his Steveness will announce a new product rendering their new purchase obsolete.

I used my Venture HC for my first 1000 finds, in 3 countries, and it works just fine. I supplemented it with a cheap, used Palm PDA for paperless, and I added the size / terrain / difficulty to the cache name and hints to the description. Most of the time I don't need to pull out the PDA.

Free internal memory (Etrex 20/30) is 1.7 GB.

The screen resolution is reduced to 128x160.

Source (German):

http://www.navigation-professionell.de/garmin-etrex-serie-etrex-10-etrex-20-etrex-30/

http://www.garminonline.de/common/pdf/pressemitteilung/Garmin_PMD_eTrex-Serie_2011.pdf

In the PDF link in the previous email, it says:

Display: transflektiver 2,2-Zoll TFT-Touchscreen (= 5,6 cm Displaydiagonale), 65.000 Farben, 128 x 160 Pixel

My German sucks but does this mean it's a touchscreen as well?! Where do I buy one? B)

Thanks to Google Translation:

Technical data

Dimensions and weight: Dimensions (W x H x D): 5.3 x 9.9 x 3.3 cm

Display: 2.2-inch transflective TFT touch screen (= 5.6 cm Display diagonal), 65,000 colors, 128 x 160 pixels

Weight: 142 grams (with batteries)

• Efficient and high-contrast display

• Powerful processor for fast map drawing

• Mini USB port

• waterproof to IPX7 (30 minutes in up to 1 m Water depth)

• Support for paperless geocaching

• Battery life: up to 25 hours (depending on use)

• Galileo Ready

• eTrex 20 and 30 additionally with:

• 1.7 GB of free internal memory o microSD card slot

• Support for Garmin vector maps (street, topo, BlueChart g2 marine maps)

• Support of GPI-data

• eTrex 30 additionally comprising: o tilt independent 3-axis compass, barometric altimeter, ANT +: wireless data transfer from device to device or of appropriate accessories

Free internal memory (Etrex 20/30) is 1.7 GB.

The screen resolution is reduced to 128x160.

Thank you!

Let's hope the screen resolution is a mistake. Half the resolution of an already low resolution screen will make maps practically useless.

Also of interest from kiwitonia's post : only the 30 is ANT+ capable (meaning Chirp capable).

Edited by Chrysalides
My information from a reliable source is: eTrex 10 monochrome display with 128x160 resolution, eTrex 20 & 30 TFT display with 176x220 resolution and 65K colors

Reasonable. The 128*160 resolution wouldn't be terrible for the monochrome unit. It's same pixel count as Edge 205/305 cycling units, and more than current low-end eTrex H (64*128). Suitable for displaying waypoints, track lines, and data fields -- but not real maps. 176*220 color is exactly what the upper-end eTrex models have now, but 16 bit color instead of 8 bit color will also be a step up.

Brabenecz, without giving away TOO much, can you tell us what kind of reliable source you have? Know a beta tester? Someone with access to marketing or tech data ahead of release?

My information from a reliable source is: eTrex 10 monochrome display with 128x160 resolution, eTrex 20 & 30 TFT display with 176x220 resolution and 65K colors

Reasonable. The 128*160 resolution wouldn't be terrible for the monochrome unit. It's same pixel count as Edge 205/305 cycling units, and more than current low-end eTrex H (64*128). Suitable for displaying waypoints, track lines, and data fields -- but not real maps. 176*220 color is exactly what the upper-end eTrex models have now, but 16 bit color instead of 8 bit color will also be a step up.

Brabenecz, without giving away TOO much, can you tell us what kind of reliable source you have? Know a beta tester? Someone with access to marketing or tech data ahead of release?

He read the press release.

JHolly, could you give me a link to the more detailed PR you're talking about? I can't find these details like screen resolution on Garmin's site, and the German product flyer someone linked here only said 128*160 (clearly wrong/incomplete as it didn't differentiate between the B/W and color models).

I know a man who had the new eTrex in hand but unfortunately off. I'll try to get more information from him.

From the translation in German:

"• 1.7 GB of free internal memory o microSD card slot"

Does that "o microSD card slot" mean that all you have is 1.7 GB and no slot for a micro SD? I'd hope there is a SD slot.

The 20 & 30 have card slots or they couldn't use the preprogrammed Bluechart cards mentioned in the Garmin blog post linked in the op above ^

Does that "o microSD card slot" mean that all you have is 1.7 GB and no slot for a micro SD? I'd hope there is a SD slot.

Translation error, it's two seperate items. 1) 1.7 GB free internal memory, 2) microSD card slot.

JHolly, could you give me a link to the more detailed PR you're talking about? I can't find these details like screen resolution on Garmin's site, and the German product flyer someone linked here only said 128*160 (clearly wrong/incomplete as it didn't differentiate between the B/W and color models).

I can't find the link now. It was a review or something that had some links I followed.

I know! I just bought a venture hc and I'm mad that I did!

I know it's easy to say this when it's not my own money, but don't fret too much about it. Trying to keep ahead of manufacturer's new products all the time is a losing proposition. And just look at all the iDevice buying folks. They buy, even though they know that in 1 year, his Steveness will announce a new product rendering their new purchase obsolete.

I used my Venture HC for my first 1000 finds, in 3 countries, and it works just fine. I supplemented it with a cheap, used Palm PDA for paperless, and I added the size / terrain / difficulty to the cache name and hints to the description. Most of the time I don't need to pull out the PDA.

Ah! Keeping up with technology. I remember, a long time ago, paying $300 for a CD writer that wrote at 4X. Now, I'm looking off in the corner at a 80 52X CD spindle that has at least 60 CDs left. They will never be used. I can now put 32 times the data on a chip the size of my pinky fingernail. I keep it around for nostalgic reasons.

I remember about 33 years ago, my step father brought home a brand new VCR that he paid $2000 for it. Now, charities refuse to accept them because they are electronic waste. It cost more to handle them then the charities get in return.

Thanks to Google Translation:

Technical data

Dimensions and weight: Dimensions (W x H x D): 5.3 x 9.9 x 3.3 cm

Display: 2.2-inch transflective TFT touch screen (= 5.6 cm Display diagonal), 65,000 colors, 128 x 160 pixels

Weight: 142 grams (with batteries)

• Efficient and high-contrast display

• Powerful processor for fast map drawing

• Mini USB port

• waterproof to IPX7 (30 minutes in up to 1 m Water depth)

• Support for paperless geocaching

• Battery life: up to 25 hours (depending on use)

• Galileo Ready

• eTrex 20 and 30 additionally with:

• 1.7 GB of free internal memory o microSD card slot

• Support for Garmin vector maps (street, topo, BlueChart g2 marine maps)

• Support of GPI-data

• eTrex 30 additionally comprising: o tilt independent 3-axis compass, barometric altimeter, ANT +: wireless data transfer from device to device or of appropriate accessories

Galileo Ready

??????

Anyone know what that means?

I can't imagine Garmin advertising the fact that they DON'T have a feature.

Galileo Ready

??????

Anyone know what that means?

Galileo is the global satellite navigation system currently built by the European Union. We will probably see another generation of Etrexes before it's usable.

Thanks for your reply. I have not seen word one in the US news. I figured from the name that it might be a new GPS system. Galileo would be proud. Imagine how far we have come because Galileo decided to put two magnifying glass at the opposite side of a tube.

...Galileo would be proud. Imagine how far we have come because Galileo decided to put two magnifying glass at the opposite side of a tube.

Except it wasn't his idea.

Hans Lippershey is generally credited with inventing the telescope and applied for a patent in 1608, but was refused because of earlier patent applications for similar devices. Even without a patent, he shopped the idea around to potential buyers so the invention became widely known about in Europe. Galileo had heard of Lippershey and others' telescopes and had been trying to find/buy one for himself before he gave up and made his own some sometime in late 1609.

More of a DIY-er than inventor there. Galileo's more noted for his USE of the telescope and contributions to astronomy. Now, in a weak attempt to bring this back around to our navigation themes, HE did try to solve the problem of determining longitude. With a telescope. By observing (and timing) the moons of Jupiter! Call it the original sat nav :D

I read about the parameters of the new eTrex from Garmin, and understand that if today chose a navigator, it hardly would have bought Dakota. Garmin eTrex - more memory, twice, and only slightly smaller screen. However, if you do not watch Google images, it does not matter. And for pictures of Google, it is still not enough screen Dakota. And the price does not discuss. Only because of the price would have bought now eTrex.

...Galileo would be proud. Imagine how far we have come because Galileo decided to put two magnifying glass at the opposite side of a tube.

Except it wasn't his idea.

Hans Lippershey is generally credited with inventing the telescope and applied for a patent in 1608, but was refused because of earlier patent applications for similar devices. Even without a patent, he shopped the idea around to potential buyers so the invention became widely known about in Europe. Galileo had heard of Lippershey and others' telescopes and had been trying to find/buy one for himself before he gave up and made his own some sometime in late 1609.

More of a DIY-er than inventor there. Galileo's more noted for his USE of the telescope and contributions to astronomy. Now, in a weak attempt to bring this back around to our navigation themes, HE did try to solve the problem of determining longitude. With a telescope. By observing (and timing) the moons of Jupiter! Call it the original sat nav :D

Well... I guess I need to sing Hans Lippershey in the middle of Queens hit song, for now on.

:ph34r:

The revelation that the etrex 10,20,30′s having GLONASS capability definately creates alot of questions regarding the benefits of such dual reception. From what Ive read, there is a greater potential to increase availability and accuracy however it may be largely location dependant. Areas outside of North America or those who travel outside the US may benefit more. There has not been alot of discussion in the consumer GPS forum regarding GLONASS, probably because this is the first handheld line to have the ability to receive the signals. Perhaps a breakdown of what is currently known about GLONASS+GPS would benefit masses of consumer users looking for the ever elusive highest possible accuracy. Hopefully someone here who's more knowledgable on the system could summarize the particulars for the rest of us?

Is the GLONASS+GPS receiver a game-changer or is it a novelty?

Edited by yogazoo

With all of the announcements lately, the Montana, the expanded 62 series, the new eTrex series, its no wonder REI has been selling the 62s for an incredible $280. They must have bought a boat load of inventory of the 62s and realized that they are suddenly going to be a bit tougher to sell with so many more options hitting the market in the next few months. I wonder how REI's relationship is with Garmin is these days....

Edited by khumbu_calypso

Is there anything left for Garmin to update in their handheld line of products? The Montana is interesting but I'm still waiting for something of a "game changer". Perhaps it will be the future model in state series;there are a lot of states left!

Edited by flyjazz

Is there anything left for Garmin to update in their handheld line of products? The Montana is interesting but I'm still waiting for something of a "game changer". Perhaps it will be the future model in state series;there are a lot of states left!

I think it's clear they need to do some kind of Internet connected GPS at some point. I'm hoping for something like an iPhone 4 but with a better battery and more GPS features. How cool would it be to download caches while out on the trail. We can only wait and hope.

I think it's clear they need to do some kind of Internet connected GPS at some point. I'm hoping for something like an iPhone 4 but with a better battery and more GPS features. How cool would it be to download caches while out on the trail. We can only wait and hope.

Do you mean this? Garmin 295W Perhaps a better implementation would have saved this model but it was essentilly a flop. Amazon had it for like $75 (new) after Christmas. Personally I don't think it would catch on. 1) If people want to download caches and geocache they already have a smartphone for that. 2) WiFi is worthless 99% of the time when your out and about (unless your a big city cacher).

Garmin could definately add new features that enhance the outdoor navigation experience but as far as "Game Changers" go I'm not sure how much more a handheld GPS could do. The Montana looks awesome to me but that price has to come down. GLONASS+GPS capability could be a game changer in parts of the world but as far as I've been reading, the main benefits come in other parts of the world than the US.

I’m thinking about moving from an Oregon 300 to an Etrex 30. Just wondering… not having owned a 3-axis compass unit before (Oregon 300 has a 2-axis compass), does the calibration routine of a 3-axis compass differ from that of a 2-axis compass, or is it the same “slowly rotate the unit twice while holding level” procedure?

And I would also add that the 3-axis compass is not necessary to calibrate often. In the most recent firmware Dakota, he became stable enough to work (when the Dakota just came out, kept forgetting calibration). Likely to be similar etreh Dakota 20 and Oregon 450.

I’m thinking about moving from an Oregon 300 to an Etrex 30. Just wondering… not having owned a 3-axis compass unit before (Oregon 300 has a 2-axis compass), does the calibration routine of a 3-axis compass differ from that of a 2-axis compass, or is it the same “slowly rotate the unit twice while holding level” procedure?

I love the 3 axis over the 2 axis....It is so much easier to use the GPS as normal rather than needing to keep it flat while walking. Calibrating is similar as you just have to turn in each way one time. You also only have to do it when you swap batteries so its not a big deal...takes 10 seconds.

I wouldn't want to replace my Oregon 300 with the eTrex 30. I see the lower resolution screen as a significant downgrade, and the 3 axis compass to be not enough of an incentive to change.

If I'm replacing it with a button unit, I'd pick the 62s over the eTrex 30, if the 62s goes down to the sub-$300 level again. Otherwise, I'd replace it with a 450 when it goes below $250.

I still haven't found out how many geocaches it can hold, either 2000 like the Dakota or 5000 like the x50 and 62/78 series. If it is important to you, something else to consider.

Thanks for the replies about the 3-axis calibration. I’ll have to wait for the reviews before deciding. True, the resolution is less than my Oregon 300 but same as my backup HCx so I’m used to it.

Love the 300 touch screen over the button navigation though, just wish the 300 was a bright as the HCx. Hopefully the Etrex 30 will hold >1000 caches as I have to keep shrinking my PQ radius to keep within the limit because southern Ontario is becoming so cache dense (either that or I’m not finding them fast enough).

Love the 300 touch screen over the button navigation though, just wish the 300 was a bright as the HCx.

Same here (300 and Venture HC). The 450 is supposed to be an improvement over the 300 though.

Apparently a lot of it has to do with the resistive touchscreen cutting down amount of available light. Amazon bought a company called Touchco more than a year ago that has a resistive touchscreen without this problem (is pressure sensitive, is cheap, and does multitouch as well) but nothing seems to have come out of it.

Apparently a lot of it has to do with the resistive touchscreen cutting down amount of available light. Amazon bought a company called Touchco more than a year ago that has a resistive touchscreen without this problem (is pressure sensitive, is cheap, and does multitouch as well) but nothing seems to have come out of it.

Hopefully it will be included on the new Amazon tablet due in 2011Q4. Neither you or I will be holding our breath.