not sure if lost but found

Today while mountainbiking at heber downs in whitby, ontario Canada I stumbled upon a cach in the middle of the trail. The lid was off of it but everything in it was dry and in good condition. So like a good little cacher I signed the log book took note of the co ordinates and stuck it under the nearest tree. all it said on the LB was "hidden by Shawntee and Shawn" or something of the sorts. I found it at N 43deg 56.359' and W 078deg 59.186'. We have had a lot of rain here lately and like I stated above everything was dry. It was in a 6"x6"x2" opac tuperware.

Not sure what to do now?

Nearest active geocaching.com cache to those coordinates is still 0.1 mile away; a small named Flying High. It could be an abandoned cache or one that has been hidden but not yet published. I can't find any users here with the name of "Shawntee and Shawn" or simply"Shawntee".

Thanks for taking the time to report it. We have a few reviewers here that can check those coords for caches that we mortals can't see. Perhaps they can shed some light.

Today while mountainbiking at heber downs in whitby, ontario Canada I stumbled upon a cach in the middle of the trail. The lid was off of it but everything in it was dry and in good condition. So like a good little cacher I signed the log book took note of the co ordinates and stuck it under the nearest tree. all it said on the LB was "hidden by Shawntee and Shawn" or something of the sorts. I found it at N 43deg 56.359' and W 078deg 59.186'. We have had a lot of rain here lately and like I stated above everything was dry. It was in a 6"x6"x2" opac tuperware.

Not sure what to do now?

Did it have a stamp in the box? If so, it's likely a letterbox. I can't find anything on Atlas Quest in that area but if it has a stamp it might be an unlisted/word-of-mouth box

Other possibilities:

• an archived cache that was never retrieved by the CO,
  • a cache that someone placed without checking to see if it was too close to another cache then didn't go back to retrieve it
  • a cache listed on another site

Edited by Lone R

Not sure what to do now?

Did it have a stamp in the box? If so, it's likely a letterbox. I can't find anything on Atlas Quest in that area but if it has a stamp it might be an unlisted/word-of-mouth box

Other possibilities:

• an archived cache that was never retrieved by the CO,
  • a cache that someone placed without checking to see if it was too close to another cache then didn't go back to retrieve it
  • a cache listed on another site

Yeah. Its most likely a letterbox. Atlas quest is not the only letterboxing site out there. There is also letterboxing North America.

Okay. Did some research and IF its a letterbox than its most probably this one: Highway of heroes

I know the planter of Highway of Heroes and have acquaintence with or have heard of most (it's a small group) of the letterboxers in Ontario. Gwynlais has never been associated with "Shawntee and Shawn" and I have never come across those trailnames in the Ontario letterboxing circles. I checked both AQ and LBNA for the trailnames - not on either site. Also, Hwy of Heroes is next to Lake Ontario. The container in question is 18km north.

It's more likely to be an abandoned cache - unpublished because it was too close to another cache or an abandoned archived cache.

A reviewer might be able to help.

Edited by Lone R

If you're back out that way, take a look at the log and see who the last few folks who logged it were and the dates. That's how I tracked down an archived multi that had been muggled and then replaced by the muggles two years later. The owner was able to get the cache listing reinstated due to my found it log.

This is definitely NOT the Highway of Heroes Letterbox.

As an avid letterboxer I have visited it and as Lone R wrote its on the shore of Lake Ontario.

I also checked the letterboxing sites I know of and even the archived stuff in LBNA and there is no mention of it.

I am going to check with another boxer JIGGS11 who has probably found most LBs east of Toronto. If he doesn't know about it it probably is not a LB.

I wonder if its a LB Hybrid?

Kenlaur

As an avid letterboxer I have visited it and as Lone R wrote its on the shore of Lake Ontario.

I also checked the letterboxing sites I know of and even the archived stuff in LBNA and there is no mention of it.

I am going to check with another boxer JIGGS11 who has probably found most LBs east of Toronto. If he doesn't know about it it probably is not a LB.

Kenlaur

Not only has LoneR proven herself horrifically competent in finding Letterboxes and trail names (which believe me, is a lot harder than looking up a Geocache or Geocacher), this one is even on the home turf. The only strange thing is that the OP, who hasn't yet returned to the thread, seemed to refer to it as Letterbox themselves (used the term "LB")

all it said on the LB was "hidden by Shawntee and Shawn" or something of the sorts. I found it at N 43deg 56.359' and W 078deg 59.186'.

Kenlaur

Not only has LoneR proven herself horrifically competent in finding Letterboxes and trail names (which believe me, is a lot harder than looking up a Geocache or Geocacher), this one is even on the home turf. The only strange thing is that the OP, who hasn't yet returned to the thread, seemed to refer to it as Letterbox themselves (used the term "LB")

all it said on the LB was "hidden by Shawntee and Shawn" or something of the sorts. I found it at N 43deg 56.359' and W 078deg 59.186'.

Sorry for not returning i figured this thread was dead. When I said "LB" I was refering to the logbook. Before this I never new about letterboxes.