Daily dump

Swagger

There's been talk of increasing the PQ size or otherwise increasing the limits for various groups of users (see GPSs with 1000 waypoints).

What about dumping all the caches for an entire state or country into a LOC or GPX file? This could be done each night (or once a week) and be made available to premium members. Those users that import this data into other programs (myself included) would find it very useful, and it would allow them (myself included) to be able to delete at least one pocket query. One daily dump = 50, 100, 1000, or ? number of pocket queries to not have to run. I think it's a winner for both the users and the server admins. This would also be a good alternative to the upcoming web services, for those of us not using Microsoft on the back-end.

--

Random quote:

sigimage.php

This would be a solution for some users. Myself, if I wanted the huge PQ, I would rather have the nearest thousand caches than all the caches in my state. There are parts of my state that I am not going to go. Why would I want a download of those caches? I would rather have a download that included those caches that, while out-of-state, are much more convenient.

First, let me say I wholeheartedly agree with and endorse this idea, for selfish reasons of my own having to do with finding all of the caches along a route.

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

This would also be a good alternative to the upcoming web services, for those of us not using Microsoft on the back-end.

The back-end in this case is geocaching.com. Your front end doesn't have to use any Microsoft software; .NET Services seems to be just a fancy name for SOAP, with GUIDs added to increase your frustration level.

Oh, and I like my random quote better. It uses a prettier font icon_smile.gif

pirate.cgi.gif

I guess I should have been more clear. I wasn't suggesting to do this instead of the PQ increase; it's just something I thought about while reading the PQ thread.

I would also like the PQ limit increased, but if this option were available then I wouldn't need most of the PQs I run.

--

Random quote:

sigimage.php

Jeremy once mentioned in the chat that he already creates a daily shapefile that contains all of the caches. I don't know if he still does that, what with the new map server and all, but if he does it would be about as useful as a .loc file would be, and no more server load since he already generates it for his own purposes.

pirate.cgi.gif