Collecting geocoins

willdeb

You buy 'em, store 'em, oogle them .... if you have multiples you can trade them or activate them to bring to Events so other cachers can discover them. Or you can design your own, have it made (or them as a mint run under 100 can be prohibitively expensive) and use it to trade with others for ones you'd like to build your collection. That'd probably be the most fun way as you get to meet other coiners as well as get coins that are no longer available except for re-sale on Ebay.

To find vendours go to the Trackables page and under Geocoins Home you should find a Manufacturers and Vendours tab.... let your mouse do the walking and you'll soon find those that carry a regular stock or designs you enjoy.

Whatever you do don't go around keeping coins you find in caches. If you find one check and see if it has a mission. If you can move it closer to achieving its mission then move it along to another cache. If you do happen to find one without a mission and its clearly stated in the cache description that the coin is available for anyone to collect then you can keep it.

Oh, and search and read the forums!!! Self help can be very rewarding as you come across all sorts of things that you might not otherwise see, or people might forget to tell you. If you use the search box in the forums window (where the forum topics are listed) and search on collecting or collection you will get a number of results of similar threads. Also, please read the topics pinned at the top of the forums as they have a lot of good information in them, plus somewhere in there will be a link to the Geocoins Knowledgebook, which is another must read for anyone new. (The other must read's are the relevant topics pinned at the top of the forums)

Whatever you do don't go around keeping coins you find in caches. If you find one check and see if it has a mission. If you can move it closer to achieving its mission then move it along to another cache. If you do happen to find one without a mission and its clearly stated in the cache description that the coin is available for anyone to collect then you can keep it.

Unless there is something with it that specifically says it is a gift, the geocoin should otherwise be considered to be a trade item, in which case the golden rule of swag, swops and trades comes into play:

trade up, trade fair or leave it there

ETA:-

Just to clarify geocoins left as gifts will be non-activated or non-trackable; or they could be adoptable.

Edited by keewee

Unless there is something with it that specifically says it is a gift, the geocoin should otherwise be considered to be a trade item, in which case the golden rule of swag, swops and trades comes into play:

Um, no, trackables are not trade items. They do not follow the trade up, etc guidelines of swag.

The very definition of a traveller prison is when the cache owner insists that "trading" of trackables must occur.

Um, no, trackables are not trade items. They do not follow the trade up, etc guidelines of swag.

The very definition of a traveller prison is when the cache owner insists that "trading" of trackables must occur.

You really need to carefully read what I wrote and the context it was written...

Um - Yes they are if they are not activated! I was taught that by other cachers and by seeing it written here in the forums. So when they are non activated, that is when they do follow the trading guidelines. It may just be you have never come across an unactivated geocoin in a cache, but it does happen. (Not as often as years ago, but it does still happen). I have left a few in caches with an explanatory note on them myself, and I have found the occasional one. mpilchfamily and I are talking about unactivated geocoins - you are talking about activated. Need to be clear on that.

And I never said anything about a traveller prison. I have no idea where you got that from.

Suggest you go back and edit your post so as to remove content that may cause confusion, and I will amend my earlier post to make it clearer that it is non-activated we are talking about.

Edited by keewee

If you plan on placing a coin as a gift you might want to add a little note along with it. It'll help cut down on all the 'I found an unactivated coin' threads.

Thank you.

+1 - people just throw things into or grab things out of caches without thinking. Adding a clear, concise note takes any doubt or ambiguity out of the equation.