Will the log-in problems ever go away?

BrownMule & Jackrabbit

I was staying logged in for a couple of week there, but suddenly it seems like all the old issues are back. If I switch computers or browsers, I have to log in again. Almost every time I do this, I'm immediately redirected back to the login screen, where I'm obliged to log in a second time. When I do, I get the "this is an error but don't worry about it" page, but at least by then I'm logged in and can putter around for a while. Until I go home/go to work/open my other browser/Hawkeye logs in, at least. w

I have that same problem and more and I am only using one machine. I log on once and then I am redirected to the log in page again. This problem has been around on and off for months. I hope it gets fixed soon. I first thought it was my browser settings but its not. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

It's clearly not the same old problem, though. Now I'm almost always logged out when I visit a cache page. I wouldn't mind it so much if, after I logged in to log the cache, it took me to a page letting my log the cache!

Instead, you end up hitting the back button twice, which then reloads the Reset Login page!

Other bugs are creeping in, as well. I can't delete logs anymore. I can edit them (so I've been editing them to say "Cache owner: please delete me" when I get accidental duplicate logs).

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

Other bugs are creeping in, as well. I can't delete logs anymore. I can edit them (so I've been editing them to say "Cache owner: please delete me" when I get accidental duplicate logs).

I haven't noticed this error yet, but I would find that one very annoying. icon_frown.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

I was staying logged in for a couple of week there, but suddenly it seems like all the old issues are back. If I switch computers or browsers, I have to log in again. Almost every time I do this, I'm immediately redirected back to the login screen, where I'm obliged to log in a second time. When I do, I get the "this is an error but don't worry about it" page, but at least by then I'm logged in and can putter around for a while. Until I go home/go to work/open my other browser/Hawkeye logs in, at least. w

That is exacly what just happened for me icon_frown.gif

I'm this --> <-- close to saying "screw it" and not bothering with the forums, my cache page, pocket queries, etc. The problems have NOT gotten any better for me since day one (when they changed various things, most notably the search results page).

I do realize that Jeremy et al are overworked and underpaid, and I'm grateful for their efforts, but this needs to be put on the top of the priority list and should resolved QUICKLY, or paying customers might become non-paying customers. I know that $3/month isn't a lot, but it is paying for a service, and the quality of the web site experience has gone down the tubes.

It's like having an idiot light on on your dashboard - regardless of how minor the problem may be, it's always staring you in the face, reminding you that there's a problem. This login thing is a big, bright idiot light on the gc.com dashboard.

--

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by BrownMule:

I guess we'll have to log in twice each time we come here from now on and be redirected to the log-in page. Everytime I try to log-in it's a different quirk. OH Well!_

Same problem here. It's not that big of a deal on a T1 line but dial up can bring the suck when it is busy.

I think that what we are experiencing are growing pains. Must be patient. I know it has been a problem for a little bit but we must hang in there. Keep up the good work Jeremy and crew!

icon911.gif

beerchug.gif

It's not only asking me to log in twice but it kicks me out of not only geocaching.com but also AOL or MSIE...ususlly at the main page but has done it while looking up caches too.

Heres the AOL error message if it helps:

WAOL caused an invalid page fault in

module JGDW400.DLL at 0167:028c440f.

Registers:

EAX=00000018 CS=0167 EIP=028c440f EFLGS=00010246

EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0576f484 EBP=00000000

ECX=00000016 DS=016f ESI=00000179 FS=47af

EDX=0000000f ES=016f EDI=0074d2fc GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8b 83 c8 0b 00 00 85 c0 75 1c 6a 00 8d 93 bc 0b

Stack dump:

00000000 00000001 00000000 0074d2fc 028c3f17 0074d2fc 016dc9ac 000001a6 00000018 00000000 00000000 0074d2fc 000001a6 028c3e41 0074d2fc 01b03c80

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by Corp Of Discovery:

It's not only asking me to log in twice but it kicks me out of not only geocaching.com but also AOL or MSIE...ususlly at the main page but has done it while looking up caches too.

That sounds like a problem with the client (AOL/IE). It might be triggered by some javascript on the GC website, but no javascript, no matter how broken, should cause your browser to crash.

Make sure you're current on both AOL and IE. For AOL, go to the home page and click the download link (I didn't check but I'm sure it's there). For IE/Windows, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ .

HTH

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

Hypothesis: Does it require relogin only when you've accessed your gc account from a different computer in between logins?

That is currently how it seems to work for me. (I use 3 different computers).

(For me, when I have the login screen and I login, I am re-presented with the login screen, even though it now says I'm logged in, so I just go to where I was trying to in the first place.)

I thought I saw something from Jeremy saying this was a security measure and that he was considering only requiring a login when changing computers every 30 days.

-----------------------

Current caching status

4 FTF

1 LTF

17 pending LTF

What my problem is, is exactly the way Jeremy explained it in another thread. If you log onto GC.com on any machine, it logs you off on all other machines. When you and your wife use the same account and you use two different computers, it becomes a serious PITA--especially when you have to do the log-on dance twice in order for it to take.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

especially when you have to do the log-on dance twice in order for it to take.

You actually don't need to log in twice. One you log in the first time, you can then just go to the place you want to be instead of logging in the second time (at least, that is what I have found).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Richard-n-Dawn:

Pardon me for meddling, but out of curiousity, what browser are you using? If you are using IE, have you tried adding "geocaching.com" to the Per Site Privacy Actions? Have you tried deleting all the cookies and temporary internet files?

What is "Per Site Privacy Actions" and where does it live?

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

What is "Per Site Privacy Actions" and where does it live?

In IE 6(ish), go to the "Tools" menu and select "Internet Options...". On the "Privacy" tab select the "Edit..." button near the bottom. This lets you add geocaching.com to allow cookies all the time.

I was guessing the problem could be with blocked cookies, but I was wrong. icon_redface.gif

quote:

If you log onto GC.com on any machine, it logs you off on all other machines. When you and your wife use the same account and you use two different computers, it becomes a serious PITA--especially when you have to do the log-on dance twice in order for it to take.

Also a PITA is having to log in multiple times using a PalmOS device over a 14.4kbps connection. *sigh*

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

Discovered a little fix that's works okay for now.

Before I had tried to use a bookmarked url to log on, but it didn't work very well. I've revisited it and it seems to work correctly now.

Here's what I'm doing at the moment:

• Create a bookmark and name it to LOGON or whatever.

• Make the bookmark show:

http://www.geocaching.com/login/default.aspx?username=sissy-n-cr&password=xxxxxxxxxx
Obviously, put in your username and password.

So far, so good. Not the best solution, but gets me logged on much quicker. How long this will last, I don't know.

Use at your own risk as this obviously creates an avenue for someone to use your account on any machine that you've created this bookmark.

Hope this helps!

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:

• Make the bookmark show:

http://www.geocaching.com/login/default.aspx?username=sissy-n-cr&password=xxxxxxxxxx
Obviously, put in _your_ username and password.

Hope this helps!

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

Thanks, but for those of us who made the unfortunate choice of an & in our user name, could someone tell me the syntax that allows the & to be used as part of the name?

-----------------------

Current caching status

5 FTF

1 LTF

22 pending LTF