Which smartphone apps are safe to use?

Skovgyden

Hi,

New user browsing your forum, and I came across this thread and in particular this sentence: "c:geo violates TOS on GC.com. It can get you banned from gc.com if you use that.".

So where do I find a list of what applications that are safe to use (or which aren't)? I've already d/l c:geo but obviously that's not a valid choice? Any references or links that give me a chance to validate what to use is appreciated...

--

Werner

The main problem is with apps that scrape the geocaching.com site. This is a violation of the TOU: "You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission."

In addition to Groundspeak's Geocaching app (for iPhone, Android, and MS Windows Phone), I know that GeoBeagle and GeoHunter respect the Groundspeak TOU.

As a rule of thumb, if the app requires your geocaching.com password, and it isn't Groundspeak's Geocaching app, then it is probably scraping the web site and violating the TOU.

The main problem is with apps that scrape the geocaching.com site. This is a violation of the TOU: "You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission."

In addition to Groundspeak's Geocaching app (for iPhone, Android, and MS Windows Phone), I know that GeoBeagle and GeoHunter respect the Groundspeak TOU.

As a rule of thumb, if the app requires your geocaching.com password, and it isn't Groundspeak's Geocaching app, then it is probably scraping the web site and violating the TOU.

Alright, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up niraD.

--

Werner

Just realized that Groundspeak is the official app to use, so I'll go with that. But it would be nice for caching-noobs that there were some list of what's approved and what's not.

What's wrong with this list? http://www.geocaching.com/software/default.aspx

It is missing iOS and Android applications.

I guess that means the only ones that Groundspeak considers officially approved for those platforms is their own (which there is a link to at the top of the page).

CacheSense (which I currently use and love for my Blackberry) has an Android version coming out shortly.

Just realized that Groundspeak is the official app to use, so I'll go with that. But it would be nice for caching-noobs that there were some list of what's approved and what's not.

What's wrong with this list? http://www.geocaching.com/software/default.aspx

I guess that means the only ones that Groundspeak considers officially approved for those platforms is their own (which there is a link to at the top of the page).

CacheSense (which I currently use and love for my Blackberry) has an Android version coming out shortly.

The Trimble Navigator is also okay.

What's wrong with this list? http://www.geocachin...re/default.aspx

I am a happy and legal user of Cachemate on my Droid. :)