Geocache available to premium members only?

So you think there should be nothing extra for those who spend money to support the hobby. Wth out premium members you wouldn't have geocaching at all.

You are free to enjoy this hobby for free as you wish because others pay.

Edited by Walts Hunting

While I agree that Premium membership should indeed have added perks, the ability to "hide" a placed cache from non-premium members should not be one of them. I will maintain that opinion even once I sign up for the premium membership and I most certainly would never make ANY of my caches available only to one group of geocache hunters. Perhaps I'm wrong but I just don't see it that way. As a premium member I would also never look down my nose at a non-premium member with the attitude that "you only play because I pay". I'd quit this altogether before I'd lower myself to that way of thinking. But hey, to each his own. :D

While I agree that Premium membership should indeed have added perks, the ability to "hide" a placed cache from non-premium members should not be one of them. I will maintain that opinion even once I sign up for the premium membership and I most certainly would never make ANY of my caches available only to one group of geocache hunters. Perhaps I'm wrong but I just don't see it that way. As a premium member I would also never look down my nose at a non-premium member with the attitude that "you only play because I pay". I'd quit this altogether before I'd lower myself to that way of thinking. But hey, to each his own. :D

Hi Yerkes83,

There are plenty of other legitimate reasons for the premium members only caches than "you only play because I pay". Take a few minutes and read the other forum posts in the links that palmetto gave you. I try to NEVER look down my nose at anyone including non-premium members...but, I think this feature is important for many reasons....I won't repeat them all here...go read the other posts.....

Quitting instead of lowering yourself...sounds dramatic and rather like a knee-jerk reaction.....this is a great hobby - go enjoy it.

Sheri

You are not wrong or right. You are free to choose your path as are others. Many feel the PMO caches keep them safer.

...I most certainly would never make ANY of my caches available only to one group of geocache hunters.

Almost all caches are available to only certain groups of Geocache hunters.

-- There are puzzles that some people will never be able to solve.

-- There are caches on top of mountains that some people will never be able to hike to.

-- There are challenge caches which some people will never meet ther requirements for.

-- There are diving caches that exclude people who don't know how to use SCUBA.

-- etc. etc.

When you look at it, paying $30/year for full access to the site is a relatively easy obstacle to overcome.

There can be many reasons members place a PMO cache. None of which have anything to do with looking down on non-members. Often COs make there caches PMO to help encourage others to support the hobby. Some times its done in hopes of keeping the cache better protected. The idea being those that pay are more likely to follow the guidelines. So the cache doesn't get trashed and trackables are more likely to not go missing. Doesn't always work out that way but some think it does.

I became a PM by first registering my Garmin GPSrs and getting my free 30 day trials from each unit. Like you i wanted access to the PMO caches. There are quite a few of them in my area. That was my primary reason. Once i knew for sure i was addicted to caching i then put down the $30 for the membership. Upon buying a paperless unit i discovered all the other benefits and now can't do without the membership.

I can't seek out Wherigo caches. I'm not going to rant about it, though.

Not all caches are meant to be found by all players.

IBTL

I can't seek Chirp caches, and I'm not gonna whine about it, either.

IBTL

I can't seek out Wherigo caches. I'm not going to rant about it, though.

Not all caches are meant to be found by all players.

IBTL

I can't seek Chirp caches, and I'm not gonna whine about it, either.

IBTL

The Chirp caches that I've read the cache pages for all had "alternative" means to find the cache, for those of us who don't have that technology.

But I have yet to see a Wherigo that is seekable by those of us without that technology.

IBTL