Watching

Kouros

How about a Cache owner being able to see who is watching their Caches?

Technically there's no real need for it, but it is nice if an owner happens to notice a Cacher they've run into before is paying an interest in their project.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

I agree, if you want to 'watch' a cache and be anonymous you can just keep track of the waypoint and bring up the cache page from the hide/seek a cache page. Or if you have logged it as a find you can bring it up from your cache page.

As as cache owner I get excited when I see someone watching one of my caches. As a fairly new cacher I'd love the chance to contact someone watching one of my caches and get their opinion on it, especially if they haven't logged the find.

mgc.jpg

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

I'd like to know who is watching my caches but more to the point, I'd like to be able to email them all at once.

I realize I can post notes in the cache to achieve this goal but I'd rather not clutter up the cache logs!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

There's really no need for this, except to be nosy. If you want to contact your watchers, just post a note, wait a few minutes, then delete it. They'll get the email.

If we're allowed to spy on watch lists, it's just a matter of time before a cache owner will want the ability to remove or ban certain people from watching their cache.

Let well enough alone. It ain't broke. Don't try to fix it.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I'd like to know who is watching my caches but more to the point, I'd like to be able to email them all at once.

I realize I can post notes in the cache to achieve this goal but I'd rather not clutter up the cache logs!

Post the note, then immediately delete it. Message still goes out, but the page is not cluttered.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I don't see a need to know who is watching a cache, but perhaps the cache owner should be given an option to "block all watchers."

"Watching" just automates what you can do manually.

If there were a "block all watchers" option, people who wanted to see what was up with your cache would just visit it every day and see.

If there were a "show me who's watching my cache", then people who didn't want to be on that list would just visit it manually every day.

Having said that, though, I would like to see some Travel Bug watch options: watch the caches my bug is in (to see which visitors leave the bug behind, and possibly report that it's missing). Maybe even (although most people will instinctively dislike this) watch the person who is holding my Bug (to see if they visit a cache and don't drop it off).

How about "watch a geocacher"? Again, you can do it now with just repeatedly looking at someone's "found" log and noting any additions.

Just a question - why would you want to block watchers from keeping an eye on your cache? I watch the 3 closest caches to my home. One is only 3 miles away and placed by an American from NYC. I'm just interested in who visits it - and if it ever disappeared or was vandalised, I could easily help the cache owner put it back together.

Other caches I've watched were one I couldn't find and thought were removed or stolen - the autoemail thing proved my GPS just wasn't very accurate when others found it after my visit.

Mark

Mark, Matthew & Christopher

icon_biggrin.gif We'll get there eventually.... icon_biggrin.gif

Just a question - why would you want to block watchers from keeping an eye on your cache? I watch the 3 closest caches to my home. One is only 3 miles away and placed by an American from NYC. I'm just interested in who visits it - and if it ever disappeared or was vandalised, I could easily help the cache owner put it back together.

Other caches I've watched were one I couldn't find and thought were removed or stolen - the autoemail thing proved my GPS just wasn't very accurate when others found it after my visit.

Mark

Mark, Matthew & Christopher

icon_biggrin.gif We'll get there eventually.... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mdshamilton:

Just a question - why would you want to block watchers from keeping an eye on your cache?

The best reason I can think if is if as a cache owner someone refuses to follow your rules for the cache and keeps logging a find they did not earn. This it's not so much a 'block all watchers' as a Ban this User from doing anything with my cache (or potentially any of my cache's).

If I put myself out as making a rule knowing it's going to take my time to verify and enforece I'm going to enforce it.

Oh, and once everyone gets the ability to see who's watching (and I'm curiouse myself) I'd like to have the ability to not be seen by those who can now see whos watching when I'm watching.

On the other hand the current system really isn't broke and I don't have any issues with it other than curiosity.

Wow. I said above:

"If we're allowed to spy on watch lists, it's just a matter of time before a cache owner will want the ability to remove or ban certain people from watching their cache."

And only about 4 hours later, we get:

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I don't see a need to know who is watching a cache, but perhaps the cache owner should be given an option to "block all watchers."

The function wasn't even made available before someone wanted to ban watchers.

Point made.

PS_sig.gif