Magellan GPSr

Im new to this GPS but I just finished reading online that the 'Map Datum' shouldnt be set up as NAD27...but mine is. It also said that it should be set as WGS82 or something like that... but I dont have that in the drop-down menu? I do have WGS72 though... would that be the same thing? BTW, I found this in [Tools-Settings-Navigation-Map Datum] Someone please help me out.. does it really matter?

The datum does matter. When I first started geocaching I was using a map with a different datum. That put the cache on the wrong side of a slough. Took me about 3 tries before I figured out my problem. There should be a choice for WGS84 on your GPS. That is the system used for GC.com. If you truly don't have a WGS84, you could use NAD27, but don't expect to get too close. I am not sure how close WGS72 is to WGS84, but it may be closer.

The three letter at the name of the datum indicate a name of the datum, the last two digits indicate the year that it applies to. NAD is North American Datum, WGS is World Geodetic System. There are many others. The last two digits indicate the year that the data was measure, or put into use. 1927, 1984, etc. There is a WGS96 system out there, but it doesn't seem to have caught on.

Good Luck!