What's the closest cache to your house to get hit by the bomb squad?

I've heard plenty of stories about Bomb Squads coming out and detonating caches, but I never thought it would happen near me. In fact, it did, about a year ago... But I never noticed. I even put an archive notification for every cache within 25 miles, hoping to find one hit by the bomb squad. The thing is, this one was replaced!

This cache almost got the supreme form of muggle: Philadelphia Police Department Bomb Squad! Just as I was leaving my place of work (which involves handcuffs and cars with funny lights on the roof) I observed a pending assignment called in by the beauty school involving a white male wearing a "Tick Magnet" shirt who was observed placing a suspicious package outside the business (described by 911 dispatch as a metal ampule full of paper). Having just finished my days duties, I stopped by, off duty/on my way home, and checked out the "suspicious device." I confirmed that the item was one belonging to our community and resumed incoming PPD units.

For future cache placement and recovery, please make business owners aware of what you are doing in populated commercial areas. The ladies inside the salon were claiming bio-terrorism, especially when today's GC-er stepped inside and asked to hang out for a minute to fill the log. They really thought it was some kind of "germ holder."

In all of the excitement I forgot to sign. Consider this my official notification!

(I replaced the cache after the "investigation!")

Is the log.

This happened less then 10 miles from me, in a parking drive by frequently. The two things that I really like to note are that, it was a geocacher who worked as a local police man that noticed it.

The other thing is the fact that the buisness owner was worried when he went inside and asked for a pen. I do that very frequently. I find a micro, and as usual I don't bring a pen. I did that today actually, I was JFK plaza (love park) and found the cache, so I brought it into the gift shop and asked for a pen. I do it at least twice a week.

That worries me.

Anyway, what's the closest bomb squad you've had near your house? I'm just glad to say I've had one!

About 10 miles from me. The squad did not blow it up but took it back to the station to lock in the evidence room. An officer in the evidence room apparently is a geocacher, because he logged it as found (well, he did!) and added the story.

Not giving GC code to protect the privacy of the parties involved.

You know what? This is actually a very interesting topic, and something that's never come up before. I might just have to take the OP off ignore (just kidding). 80 Miles, Jamestown, NY. Sams Club parking lot.

That's probably the closest one to me, I'm 50 miles east of there.

That was actually August 2005, but I can't think of anything else in Western New York. Now that I think of it, I am also about the same distance from the cache at Wal-Mart Canada Corporate HQ that was blown up in suburban Toronto last year.

Oh what the heck, it's a holiday weekend, and I have some time. Jamestown, NY Sams club micro 67.3 miles from my home coordinates, Mississauga, Ontario Wal-Mart Canada corporate HQ parking lot micro 60.9 miles. So the winner, despite my first post, is 60.9 miles away in Mississagua, Ontario. :blink:

How about across the street.

One day we were sitting around and heard a helicopter going in circles outside. Went online to Claycord.com which is a local up to date blogger by the mayor of a small nearby town. He already was saying there was a bomb scare at Newhall park across the street. I was on the phone right away to our police wondering if it was one or more of our geocaches in the park. They said they didn't know what I was talking about and a police officer would be contacting me. I decided to go over and see what was going on. As I made my way over I checked on some of my caches. As I was approaching a police vehicle I got a phone call. It was the officer in the car. I chatted with them and they informed me what they found were real pipe bombs. But was curious about geocaching. He asked if cachers made containers look like pipe bombs. I said I hope not. Then he asked where was the nearest one in the park. I said about 5 feet behind you!

Edited by jellis

How about across the street.

One day we were sitting around and heard a helicopter going in circles outside. Went online to Claycord.com which is a local up to date blogger by the mayor of a small nearby town. He already was saying there was a bomb scare at Newhall park across the street. I was on the phone right away to our police wondering if it was one or more of our geocaches in the park. They said they didn't know what I was talking about and a police officer would be contacting me. I decided to go over and see what was going on. As I made my way over I checked on some of my caches. As I was approaching a police vehicle I got a phone call. It was the officer in the car. I chatted with them and they informed me what they found were real pipe bombs. But was curious about geocaching. He asked if cachers made containers look like pipe bombs. I said I hope not. Then he asked where was the nearest one in the park. I said about 5 feet behind you!

That is WAAAY to scary. :ph34r: I can tell there is gonna be an overuse of the :ph34r: emoticon in this thread :laughing:

Ive never had the bomb squad do something near home, but when I was vacationing in Los Angeles last december, I was looking for this urban micro :anitongue: and then there is a helicopter circling around the area in which I was searching.

A few seconds later I saw the LA Bomb squad speeding by. I knew they weren't looking for me- but they were looking for something/one else, and I headed back to the hotel. BOy, that was sooo :ph34r: . Less scarier said then done.

Inside of 50 miles, twice. One was the infamous "Short Circuitry" that was an ammo can decorated on the outside with parts from the motherboard of a computer. Shut down Hwy 101 in California for several hours while the Eureka Bomb Squad came and did their thing.

The other was last year near a roadsign right off the highway that was found by Caltrans and called in. One of our local LEO cachers tried to get the whole thing called off, but was too late. That CO archived almost all of his other caches. I think the ones that are still active, he just forgot about :(

This cache was maybe a mile from our apartment in Germany, part of a great series around Wiesbaden. Someone freaked out about the film container at the trash can and called the Polizei, and the usual comedy ensued. Series was immediately archived, unfortunately. I even got called out in the German forums because a non-local cacher was looking at caches in the area logged that day and thought one of our caches was the one. Nope, not it!

How would I know and why would I care?

I know, I shouldn't feed the trolls.

You are either rude or in bad need of some happy pills.

I know, you just want to boost your number of posts.

I feel like kwhart has a point, but I also feel like an emoticon might bring it into context (or out of your perceived snark levels).

See below:

How would I know and why would I care? :unsure:

How would I know and why would I care?

I know, I shouldn't feed the trolls.

You are either rude or in bad need of some happy pills.

I know, you just want to boost your number of posts.

I feel like kwhart has a point, but I also feel like an emoticon might bring it into context (or out of your perceived snark levels).

See below:

How would I know and why would I care? :unsure:

OR

How would I know and why would I care? :sad:

and my emoticon to post like would be :blink: