Geico Gecko TB's

Team Radiation

I received mine today. Don't remember when I requested it though - right about when it was announced, I guess. Not more than a day after.

When was it first announced? I first saw it in the 5/18 Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter which arrived 5/19. I placed my order within an hour of receiving the email.

I really don't remember, sorry. My time sense is a little fuzzy right now, and sadly it is not due to too much alcohol.

I believe I first read about the sweepstakes in the forums, went on the page, and saw the trackables, and ordered one.

This is the earliest reference I can find in the forums:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=273563&view=findpost&p=4710871

Apparently the ad was already on the web page at that time, but I don't pay much attention to ads on web pages, considering them more of necessary evils than items of interest.

So if you already requested one when the newsletter came out, you just have to wait & see? Or do you need to ask for one again? I think I remember seeing something about requesting only one per user name...

Not saying that the previous poster should not have received 2. That's just lucky, I don't hold it against them. Just asking if I need to request again.

So if you already requested one when the newsletter came out, you just have to wait & see? Or do you need to ask for one again? I think I remember seeing something about requesting only one per user name...

Not saying that the previous poster should not have received 2. That's just lucky, I don't hold it against them. Just asking if I need to request again.

Well, if I don't have the one that I originally requested by the time the next batch is offered, I'm going to put in another request.

Well, if I don't have the one that I originally requested by the time the next batch is offered, I'm going to put in another request.

Thank you. :) I'll do the same, then.

Got mine today.

We got ours and I came looking for a forum thread to see if anyone had "longevity" suggestions since they are rather frail! I think we'll try attaching some laminated TB instructions.

I got one today. Does someone have a link to some sort of "TB passport" that I can print and send along with it? It's not extremely obvious that it's a trackable and not a trade item. (except for the tracking number)

We got ours and I came looking for a forum thread to see if anyone had "longevity" suggestions since they are rather frail! I think we'll try attaching some laminated TB instructions.

I got one today. Does someone have a link to some sort of "TB passport" that I can print and send along with it? It's not extremely obvious that it's a trackable and not a trade item. (except for the tracking number)

Click here: http://geocacher-u.com/?page_id=71

Got mine today.

How awesome! I'm going to check the mailbox here in a little while *fingers crossed*

Here is mine: TB46ZBE

Probably too cute, but I didn't pay for him, so I'm going to try a cute one.

Thanks for the idea. This is our first travel bug we're sending out, so this was very helpful. Here's ours if you are interested: TB4735Y Although we have no picture up, & haven't taken it anywhere, because we haven't picked anything to attach it to yet..

But we had fun with the first steps! It may make you smile. ;)

Hopefully the attachment will add some longevity to this one...

Any chance you could find a better chain?

I once saw the awesome job WriteShopRobert did attaching tags to a toy car. He used "Nylon Coated Steel Leader Wire" from a fishing store, crimped. It looks extremely secure. In this case, it looks like the little tag on the gecko would break first.

An alternative would be to use stainless steel aviation-type wire with aluminum ferrules.

I once saw the awesome job WriteShopRobert did attaching tags to a toy car. He used "Nylon Coated Steel Leader Wire" from a fishing store, crimped. It looks extremely secure. In this case, it looks like the little tag on the gecko would break first.

An alternative would be to use stainless steel aviation-type wire with aluminum ferrules.

Agree, the chain is weak. In general this trackable doesn't seem to be designed for long life in the field. We didn't upgrade the chain because after all, it is attached to a piece of plastic... We were just hoping to add something that would allow more people to realize that the tiny thing was in fact a trackable!

Agree, the chain is weak. In general this trackable doesn't seem to be designed for long life in the field. We didn't upgrade the chain because after all, it is attached to a piece of plastic... We were just hoping to add something that would allow more people to realize that the tiny thing was in fact a trackable!

That's true. Doesn't it seem like even if it didn't break that the tracking code would get worn off? I've seen a couple travel bug tags that you had to look at with enough light because it was well worn... I wonder how long these will take to wear away.

We often use one of those keychain rings instead of a wire. Easy to find, attach and durable. The downside is that thy are still not too hard to remove, but if someone wants to stal my trackable item, they are going to.

But yeah, a fancy chain isn't going to help us here considering the tags themselves seem pretty fragile. Oh well, it was free :)

Edited by d+n.s

I received mine and I have already sent it out on its way. I created my own mission and then sent it out.

I also want to know if anyone has received one of the Explorists yet? I haven't heard of anyone getting one yet, and I know I haven't received one yet. Anybody know?

I just got an email from Groundspeak...

I WON!!!

Congratulations! You have been selected as the winner of a weekly drawing for the GEICO Find the Gecko Sweepstakes. We have put your prize of a Magellan eXplorist GC GPS unit in the mail and it should be delivered to you in the next few days.

Thank you for your interest in GEICO’s Find the Gecko Sweepstakes. Enjoy your new GPS unit!

If you have any questions about Geocaching, the Magellan eXplorist GC, or you need a free rate quote for Car, Boat, Motorcycle, RV or ATV insurance please go to:

http://www.geocaching.com/GEICO

So I sent in the request form when they first hit the site, then I went to an Army school for a month, expecting to see a gecko in my mail when I got home. Alas, it wasn't there - so, am I to assume it's still on the way, or did I just not get one, and nobody had the decency to email me and tell me I got my request in too late? So if I did get my request in too late, when is another batch of these going to be available?

BTW, I'm stateside this time, and not in Afghanistan like I was during the last Jeep contest, so I won't be involved in the same fiasco I was involved in with that contest (where I was excluded from ordering a Jeep to release because I was deployed and serving my country overseas).

Too bad this contest doesn't last longer, seeing as TBs sometimes get stuck for a while.. We once found one that was stuck in a cache that was the end of a multi for two years.

You don't have to have one in your possession to enter the contest, anyone that legally qualifies (by being a resident of the US, I believe) can enter the contest once a week.

the geico tag is only a sort of advertisement to get more people to know about and to enter the contest, and of course to promote them maybe using the geico service, of course...

Here is what I did with mine: $88,000 Gold Brick - Geico Travel Tag - TB472Z5

2da444d4-b41c-4872-be13-9d34873a8d45.jpg

Edited by CedarPointFreak