Geico Gecko TB's

Team Radiation

Was pretty excited to read about the Geico contest this morning and went to register.. NOPE! USA only.

Oh Well.

Now, the Star-Bellied Sneetches had bellies with stars.

The Plain-Belly Sneetches had none upon thars.

But, because they had stars, all the Star-Belly Sneetches

Would brag, “We’re the best kind of Sneetch on the beaches.”

With their snoots in the air, they would sniff and they’d snort

“We’ll have nothing to do with the Plain-Belly sort!”

And, whenever they met some, when they were out walking,

They’d hike right on past them without even talking.

sneetches.jpg

After a quick look at the Geocaching and Geico home pages I see nothing about the Travel Bugs. The only place I've seen any info on them is here in the forums. So, how did they first get discovered?

Geico is starting a new promotion with Geocaching.com tomorrow, May 14; 6,000 Gecko-shaped TB's are to be released. You can request a free TB to be sent to you. The contest lasts for 20 weeks and some entries will win free GPS units. We have a relative who works for Geico who told us about this one. See details at

http://www.geocaching.com/geico/

Was pretty excited to read about the Geico contest this morning and went to register.. NOPE! USA only.

Oh Well.

makes sense, Geico doesn't operate in Canada

snip/.... but there are laws, lots of them, governing contests in other countries, the make it unfeasible for them to be run internationally.

please give an example because i really can't think of any law that would prohibit GC to approach a potential sponsor to run a contest

Because Groundspeak has to obey the laws of their state/country regarding sweepstakes, contests, and the like?

Even contests and sweepstakes that are run in Canada can have exclusions. "Not available to residents of ...." appears a lot, if you read the fine print.

As already mentioned, contests in the US often say "not available to residents in Alaska" or will say "only in the 48 contiguous states".

Why is everyone so anxious to help promote an insurance company? :blink:

this is a general discussion, regardless of the fact that an insurance company is involved this time

in UK is Timberland and tomorrow can be a car maker, i think that if such partnerships are being introduced and provides some income for GC its a good idea, as long as it will not become overly commercial and developing some double standards

Edited by t4e

Because Groundspeak has to obey the laws of their state/country regarding sweepstakes, contests, and the like?

No no no no NO!

<snip>

WINNING! :anitongue::anibad::laughing::anitongue:

How could you even think to pair Charlie Sheen and Dr. Suess!!! Blasphemy!

Well the Rapture is tomorrow so now I'm screwed. THANKS! I doubt I'll get an act of mercy in by the deadline, so I guess I'll just have to join in on the post Rapture looting and random gunfire. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Besides, I like to explore the limits of good taste and TMI. :anibad:

After a quick look at the Geocaching and Geico home pages I see nothing about the Travel Bugs. The only place I've seen any info on them is here in the forums. So, how did they first get discovered?
my weekly newsletter had that information

including a link to request a trackable, and another link to enter the sweepstakes

I suspect that this information was only included in newsletters sent to members identified as residing in the USA

Why was there NO PROMOTION about this??? I heard about it today, only to find out that they are all already gone. Now that sucks. They are not even listed on the promotion list on the Trackables page. Man, when the Jeeps came out, it was a madhouse. This is a huge disappointment. Thanks... for nothing, I guess.

Why was there NO PROMOTION about this??? I heard about it today, only to find out that they are all already gone. Now that sucks. They are not even listed on the promotion list on the Trackables page. Man, when the Jeeps came out, it was a madhouse. This is a huge disappointment. Thanks... for nothing, I guess.

I found out about it by reading the Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter which came out yesterday. Couldn't you have done the same?

Plenty of other people were able to find out about it...

No one asked for people to pile on. I was merely asking about the lack of promotion. Because, if its a promotion, shouldn't it be promoted??? Anyway, it doesn't matter, Groundspeak's game and rules... I just remember the Jeep promotion lasting a long time, this lasted 1 day... that's all... and this is why I hate the forums. Thanks anyway.

I suspect that this information was only included in newsletters sent to members identified as residing in the USA

everyone got the same thing, they release one newsletter only, not feasible to edit it for everyone's location and identifying those living in USA only

It was sent out in the newsletter, and they went fast! Very fast. If you live in the US, you can still enter the sweepstakes by visiting the website, and then find them in caches to move along, after they start being placed in the wild. Anyone who signed up for one had to promise to place it in a cache within two weeks of receiving it.

You know, after reading some of the various threads around the forum, I don't know what people expect from their US geocaching brethren.

Do you think we had a choice in this matter? Do you expect us to talk to Groundspeak for you?

I'll be happy to agree with more international promotions, when it's not the casual geocacher being disparaged for a flipping commercial.

'Tis a shame the Geico Gecko Geocoins are only going to be launched in the USA. I would have liked one - because the Gecko and I have the same accent! And, I now live just across the border in Canada - below the 49th Parallel. So near, yet so far.........

It would cost Geico too much to ship these all over the world, and that would put insurance rates up. I hope these guys travel well and don't get lost in geo-space. I'd love to see an image of one posted at the start of his/her journey and at points around the world hopefully. Kinda like a "Where The Hell Is Matt?" but this would be about "Gordon" or "Gloria."

Wow, hope we got in this in time ... the kids think the gecko is hilarious and would love to send that TB around ... we were able to fill out that form when we spotted it in the newsletter. I don't mind a little advertising when it's cute and if it stays family-friendly. The kids have already had two sets of Flat Stanleys kidnapped this year (the paper doll swap based on the storybook Flat Stanley) so something like this will cheer them up.

Wow, hope we got in this in time ... the kids think the gecko is hilarious and would love to send that TB around ... we were able to fill out that form when we spotted it in the newsletter. I don't mind a little advertising when it's cute and if it stays family-friendly. The kids have already had two sets of Flat Stanleys kidnapped this year (the paper doll swap based on the storybook Flat Stanley) so something like this will cheer them up.

I understand, they are fun. But the fact is I would rather go the extra mile to get both of your Flat Stanleys moving again than to log a promotional travel tag. Geocaching is a community sport. Best when shared.

It was sent out in the newsletter, and they went fast! Very fast. If you live in the US, you can still enter the sweepstakes by visiting the website, and then find them in caches to move along, after they start being placed in the wild. Anyone who signed up for one had to promise to place it in a cache within two weeks of receiving it.

I wonder if I was fast enough? I found out about it last Thursday night. My newsletter didn't arrive until 2:30 AM, Friday. Unfortunate as others received it on Wednesday.

And when a promotion is run overseas, that the citizens of the US are not allowed to enter, shall they all rise up and protest how unfair it is? This is a game. Sit back and enjoy the game when it is your turn to play.

What goes around, comes around.

There is also an outdoor gear company called "Gear Aid" that released 53 geocoins in Damascus, VA, last weekend and they gave me 4. Nice looking coin and the only openly commercial aspect is the link to their site. All coins are registered to them and I'll be placing the 4 I got in NH caches soon. I see nothing wrong with them distributing these coins.

BlueDeuce, if you swap Flat Stanleys, we'd be happy to swap with you. :) Assuming our last batch return home safely, anyway. We've got one that will be going with us to the GPS exhibit in Nashville this weekend, then back home with it ... and hopefully they'll send ours back as well.

I got my geico bug today. Put a picture of it attached to the item I'm sending it out with and it's all activated ready to be placed this coming weekend.

Anyhow, I don't expect it to last long in the wild. It's like a cachekinz sort of tag. It's very small (thin and small in general). You really have to read to see it's a trackable and not just a piece of advertising swag.

But oh well. It was free and I'm willing to send it out there but I'm not expecting much of it.

I got my geico bug today. Put a picture of it attached to the item I'm sending it out with and it's all activated ready to be placed this coming weekend.

Anyhow, I don't expect it to last long in the wild. It's like a cachekinz sort of tag. It's very small (thin and small in general). You really have to read to see it's a trackable and not just a piece of advertising swag.

But oh well. It was free and I'm willing to send it out there but I'm not expecting much of it.

I'm not expecting it will last long either, but attached a travel bug guide to it anyway to try to help..

da546973-cb29-4d30-9323-a83909eb4a42.jpg

I'm not expecting it will last long either, but attached a travel bug guide to it anyway to try to help..

Is this guide somewhere that I can print a few of? Is it on site or yours? I found a few dog tags I've had since 2001 and may send a few of them traveling.

Thanks, Mike

Is this guide somewhere that I can print a few of? Is it on site or yours? I found a few dog tags I've had since 2001 and may send a few of them traveling.

Thanks, Mike

It's not my site. It is a site called Geocacher University. They have lots of great downloads.

Edited by broncobob9

Thanks, Mike

It's not my site. It is a site called Geocacher University. They have lots of great downloads.

That's what I was looking for, thanks.

Edited by mikemtn

Just re-posting this from the Off Topic forum, since this is the TB forum and all...

Hi All - We are just getting a huge shipment of Gecko's out the door on their way to you and got some good news from GEICO. You can save... wait not that's not it - they are going to order another shipment :) We will re-enable the order form after filling all the previous requests. If you are interested check this page: http://www.geocaching.com/GEICO/request.aspx in mid- to late June. Thank you for your interest in the GEICO Find the Gecko Sweepstakes and the Gecko TB's!

Here's a couple size shots of it. Really skinny little guy. I have one by a sharpie and by a chapstick.

Holy crow, that's tiny.

Yeah. Tiny doesn't cover it. So when I say tiny print on the back and tiny little tb number on the back that is very difficult to read I mean it.

You have to really squint to see it's a trackable. I suspect many will get lost because of this. As geocaching is an afterthought on the back. Lots of words (not explaining it's a trackable until the very end) in a tiny spot with the number all tiny too. I figure this will go missing quickly mistaken for swag.

I received mine today. Don't remember when I requested it though - right about when it was announced, I guess. Not more than a day after.

When was it first announced? I first saw it in the 5/18 Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter which arrived 5/19. I placed my order within an hour of receiving the email.

I received mine today. Don't remember when I requested it though - right about when it was announced, I guess. Not more than a day after.

When was it first announced? I first saw it in the 5/18 Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter which arrived 5/19. I placed my order within an hour of receiving the email.

I really don't remember, sorry. My time sense is a little fuzzy right now, and sadly it is not due to too much alcohol.

I believe I first read about the sweepstakes in the forums, went on the page, and saw the trackables, and ordered one.

Edited by Chrysalides