Nasty Email Message Today

So, today I woke up to have an email from a fellow cacher.

This cacher hides micros at every allowable distance across most of the county.

I posted a needs maintenance on one of his caches because the log was completely soaked and I was unable to sign and I logged the smiley/find.

His email basically blames it on other cachers for caching in the rain and states that I should have left a piece of paper with my name signed. (Did not have one) or not logged the find.

I guess I feel that I went through the trouble of finding the film can/medicine bottle/bubble container and should be able to log it, particularly as I did you a service and let you know the cache needed maintenance.

What do you think?

I offered to delete the smiley, bitterly.

I would have done exactly what you did with the exception of offering to delete my find log. I would have read the email, realized I was dealing with an unreasonable cache owner (or at least someone having a bad day) and deleted the email without responding.

You did the right thing to post that NM. Others have noted a wet log for at least a month.

I'd be tempted to include a link to the guidelines regarding Cache Maintenance

http://support.Groun...ge&id=307#maint

Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location. You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to maintain proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable amount of time – normally a few weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

But then again it's probably best to just ignore the guy. But don't let this CO bully you out of using the Needs Maintenance feature. It's important to the caching community as a whole.

He/she dosen't maintain his/her caches and blames you?

I found one yesterday that didn't have any kind of seal on it. I put in a new log sheet because then they cannot deny you the find but I ain't gonna' put a seal on too.... well I would of but my seals were either too big or too small. :unsure:

Since we've been getting all this extra rain this year, I've found a few logs lately that were drenched and you could not sign them, so I printed up a bunch of logs from the geo-university and swap wet for dry and then e-mail the CO's to come get their wet logs if they so desire. They've all respectfully declined to pick them up.

I posted a needs maintenance on one of his caches because the log was completely soaked and I was unable to sign and I logged the smiley/find.

His email basically blames it on other cachers for caching in the rain and states that I should have left a piece of paper with my name signed. (Did not have one) or not logged the find.

I guess I feel that I went through the trouble of finding the film can/medicine bottle/bubble container and should be able to log it, particularly as I did you a service and let you know the cache needed maintenance.

What do you think?

I have posted a needs maintenance if it is wet and has had others saying the same for awhile. If the prior logs do not say anything about the cache being wet, I will just state that in my online log so the owner has some time to get there and change it out before getting a NM log down the road. I feel a NM log should be posted only for caches with a history of problems.

Of course we ignore the micros anyway because of these sort of problems. The containers usually are trouble-prone. Plus we just don't care for micros out in the boonies where we like to cache.......

I think it is time to move on, get past this, go caching, remember to take along some paper next time, as you obviously do a pen or pencil since you hunt for micros. We even take along spare 'small, med and large' containers to help a owner of a nice area, if the cache is in need of help.

Shirley~

-------------------------

Like 2 O.F. (the rockhounders), I explain it's condition in my log if I'm the first (or 2nd) to find it soaked. Most who read the logs (and care about their hides) will fix 'em when time permits.

A string of "wet log" notes gets a NM.

You found the hide and deserve the find.

Like 2 O.F. (the rockhounders), I explain it's condition in my log if I'm the first (or 2nd) to find it soaked. Most who read the logs (and care about their hides) will fix 'em when time permits.

I just found something else along these lines in the 'West Southwest' forum click here. If you live in a friendly area and like the other cachers, this is the way to go and why.

This is a good thread, thanks to the OP for starting it. We see way too much stress and hurt feelings, when we could just have fun and help others out that deserve it. Now, if you are tired of one person's hides and he is not being fair to anyone else, just place an ignore on all of his caches.

Shirley~

----------------------

I just found something else along these lines in the 'West Southwest' forum click here. If you live in a friendly area and like the other cachers, this is the way to go and why.

This is a good thread, thanks to the OP for starting it. We see way too much stress and hurt feelings, when we could just have fun and help others out that deserve it. Now, if you are tired of one person's hides and he is not being fair to anyone else, just place an ignore on all of his caches.

Shirley~

----------------------

True. Or people don't need to hide 300 micros, and blame people for caching in the rain when they get a wet log. :ph34r:

Shirley~

----------------------

True. Or people don't need to hide 300 micros, and blame people for caching in the rain when they get a wet log. :ph34r:

:ph34r:

:laughing:

I concur with the vast majority here.

I totally agree. A few months ago, I received a nasty email from a CO regarding a swag that we had left in her cache (a phony dollar bill that offuscated her) and that she did not appreciate. I tried to enter in a reasonable discussion with her, but it led nowehere.

It would have been better to just delete her e-mail. :blink:

I can't believe we got his far without somebody mentioning that he logged a find without signing the log. I guess the forum-go-ers hat micro-spew/non-maintenance worse then they hate the not signing a log rule!

I agree, keep the find. :lol:

He did not sign the log, because he was unable to. That would be a good enough excuse.

For the average cacher it would be. The forums seem to attract the "hardcore" players that refuse to log it AT ALL no matter what the circumstances are if they don't have there name in the log. It's annoying because very few people outside these forums play like that. But watcha gonna do?

I can't believe we got his far without somebody mentioning that he logged a find without signing the log. I guess the forum-go-ers hat micro-spew/non-maintenance worse then they hate the not signing a log rule!

He did not sign the log, because he was unable to. That would be a good enough excuse.

For the average cacher it would be. The forums seem to attract the "hardcore" players that refuse to log it AT ALL no matter what the circumstances are if they don't have there name in the log. It's annoying because very few people outside these forums play like that. But watcha gonna do?

If you're going to call us out, get it right. If I can mark the log somehow, I log the find. If I have to poke a hole in a mushy log with my pen, that's my mark for that cache and I log it. A mud line with a stick? Log it. Most "hardcore players" I've talked to, or posts I've read, have the same mindset.

If you're going to call us out, get it right. If I can mark the log somehow, I log the find. If I have to poke a hole in a mushy log with my pen, that's my mark for that cache and I log it. A mud line with a stick? Log it. Most "hardcore players" I've talked to, or posts I've read, have the same mindset.

Who says he's calling you out? You sound like a firmcore player. I have read other posts that state exactly what Coldgears said. There are several posters in these forums that see it black and white with no shade of grey in the middle. No sign = no find.

So simple. No Sign = No find. No excuses, log a note.

Edited by mresoteric

That's right. I may forget my pen, but I am never without my trusty pocket knife, sharpened to a razor edge and needle tip.

lettherebeblood.jpg

Oh... and a quill pen can quickly be fashioned with almost any bird feather to be found nearby.

That's right. I may forget my pen, but I am never without my trusty pocket knife, sharpened to a razor edge and needle tip.

lettherebeblood.jpg

Oh... and a quill pen can quickly be fashioned with almost any bird feather to be found nearby.

Now that's hardcore. And I hope you're joking.

Who says he's calling you out? You sound like a firmcore player. I have read other posts that state exactly what Coldgears said. There are several posters in these forums that see it black and white with no shade of grey in the middle. No sign = no find.

So simple. No Sign = No find. No excuses, log a note.

Never heard of the guy. :lol: That's the full content of his post? I think you could count the number of "black and white with no shade of grey in the middle. No sign = no find." people on one hand. Then you could use the other hand for the people who hate all micros.

lettherebeblood.jpg

What method do you suggest to form that blister first? <_<

lettherebeblood.jpg

I usually use a hammer. But in a pinch you can smash your finger between the heels of your hiking boots.

Yes we do. Someone must have gotten offuscated [sic].

There is a big difference between being too lazy to bother signing the log and unable to sign because the CO needs to take care of his cache.

lettherebeblood.jpg

Your fellow cachers thank you for not marking the logs like the dog you are. :blink:

I would, however, like to point out that blood is also a bodily fluid. You should sterilize the loge when done. I'd recommend fire.

fire-intro-pic.jpg

Edit - Loge? What the heck is a loge?! Well, whatever it is, I suggest that while you are sterilizing it you sterilize the log at the same time.

Edited by GOF and Bacall

I carry a Uniball Powertank RT pen (better than a fisher Space Pen). It will write on even wet soggy logs.

Having said that - I'd understand anybody that didn't want to touch a wet soggy mushy log in any of my caches. On the other hand, I use quality containers (except 2) and don't worry about water intrusion or blaming caching in the rain.

lettherebeblood.jpg

Your fellow cachers thank you for not marking the logs like the dog you are. :blink:

I would, however, like to point out that blood is also a bodily fluid. You should sterilize the loge when done. I'd recommend fire.

fire-intro-pic.jpg

Edit - Loge? What the heck is a loge?! Well, whatever it is, I suggest that while you are sterilizing it you sterilize the log at the same time.

Took nothing, left hepatitis.

lettherebeblood.jpg

You don't wanna know. :ph34r:

What do you think?

I think you don't have to hunt his caches if you think he has hidden too many, too close together. I'd like to SEE his "nasty" email, so we could judge for ourselves what's really going on here...

lettherebeblood.jpg

I usually use a hammer. But in a pinch you can smash your finger between the heels of your hiking boots.

What do you think?

Had a similar problem with a local nutter around me. My solution was from now on I find a wet log I photo graph it with my signature item and post the photo with the log. This proves both that you found the cache and the condition of the log.

lettherebeblood.jpg

I'm a carpenter. It happens to even the best of us. I went to the ER once to have a finger stitched up. The Dr. asked "How'd you do that?!" I said "I hit it with a hammer." He looked at my finger looked up and said "How the hell many times?!" Once Doc. Honest. When I hit something with a hammer it stays hit." :laughing: God I hope that is the last time I get a look at one of my own bones. :blink:

I'd have ignored him/her if it were me. CO has no right to get snippy and tell you what you should have done just because you brought attention to the fact that thier cache needs some sort of love. Water off a ducks back my friend, just let it roll.

Was the CO being snippy or was the OP being overly sensitive? Granted, mentioning not "caching in the rain" likes a bit on the crazy side. I'd like to see the actual email.. perhaps if I read the rest of the thread I'll find it.

He/she dosen't maintain his/her caches and blames you?

I found one yesterday that didn't have any kind of seal on it. I put in a new log sheet because then they cannot deny you the find but I ain't gonna' put a seal on too.... well I would of but my seals were either too big or too small. :unsure:

Since we've been getting all this extra rain this year, I've found a few logs lately that were drenched and you could not sign them, so I printed up a bunch of logs from the geo-university and swap wet for dry and then e-mail the CO's to come get their wet logs if they so desire. They've all respectfully declined to pick them up.

That and

If I cant sign, replace, or drop a scrap tag then I don't claim a found it. This behavior also explains why I keep a few spare nano scrolls, micro strips, 1"x2" note books, 3"x5" note books and a note pad in my back pack.

Ignore it and move along.

Some folks take a NM log as a personal attack- it isn't.

I never really understood why. My sentiment when someone leaves a NM log on one of my caches is "Thank you for bringing this to my attention." It's kind of an important part of cache maintenance, you know, being made aware of when it is necessary.

What do you think?

You fell for the "geocaching.com guideline trick". :blink:<_<

You don't need to follow the guidelines and report every wet logsheet. :(

You certainly don't need to log a needs maintenance note. :(

And You absolutely don't need to write clear articulate logs turning yourself in for not logging on the logsheet. :o Just post a short log that says Thanks for hiding the cache.....that's it... nothing more. :D

Now get back out there and find some caches....and remember to have some fun while doing it! :rolleyes:

What do you think?

You fell for the "geocaching.com guideline trick". :blink:<_<

You don't need to follow the guidelines and report every wet logsheet. :(

You certainly don't need to log a needs maintenance note. :(

And You absolutely don't need to write clear articulate logs turning yourself in for not logging on the logsheet. :o Just post a short log that says Thanks for hiding the cache.....that's it... nothing more. :D

Now get back out there and find some caches....and remember to have some fun while doing it! :rolleyes:

I do not think that I saw a post noting that signing the log is "required" is not anywhere in the guidelines....this is an old topic really.......

Cache owner needs to get over themselves. While I very much appreciate it when folks help out with our hides, I do not expect it. If they have too many caches to maintain, they shouldn't keep hiding new ones and should concentrate on maintaining the hides they have.

As far as signing wet logs, I normally give it a go, the ball point pens we use normally write on just about anything. But if it's a pile of pulp, an ink stain is about as good as I can do sometimes.

Think I spotted the cache in question -- the owner doesn't appear to frequent the forums. So I doubt an apology is forthcoming on the boards, however deserved it may be.