New Nearest Cache Page (Observations)

iryshe

quote:
Originally posted by sun_m00n_starz:

Finally.... a primo perk to being a premium member. I'm so glad that the found maps will be back and think that having them only for the premium members will help recruit some of our more sluggish-to-join frequent fliers on the website.

Sorry if I missed the possible answer in this huge thread, but is this found map feature going to be available for premium members outside the US too?

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Thanks for making the site work faster and more reliable.

I have a wish that I cant se anyone have mentioned yet. It would bee cool to search for Travel Bugs near my location, or filter on caches containing TBs in other searches.

I also agree with whoever it was that said Style Sheets should/could be used to customize fonts and colours on the cache-list.

hbrx.

Oslo, Norway

So, we gonna put the Placed column issue to a vote?

I'd do it, but I never have much success getting responses. It probably needs to come from you, Jeremy, to have any weight.

My contention is the Placed date, while important enough to be in the listing, isn't important enough to have it's own column. Moving the Placed date to under the name would free up room for the longer cache names without wrapping.

So, we gonna have a poll?

CR

72057_2000.gif

Thank you, Jeremy, and whoever else has been working on this. It certainly wasn't a case of "If it ain't broke...", because the system was starting to break down. After the big crash a couple weeks ago (right when I had new cache placed), the horrible thought occurred: "What if...?" Well, it's too dreadful to imagine, eh?

That said, a couple of points:

- It's not always clear what "Last Found" means on a cache list. If you're looking at someone else's profile, it means "last found" by that user; if you're looking at a general cache list, it means "last found" by anybody; and if you're looking at you're own profile, it means both - but the site isn't clear on that (in the latter case, there is an explanatory note at bottom, kinda-sorta, but it isn't really clear, and it IS at the bottom.

- You know what would be a GREAT refinement? If there was a way to stop users from posting "found it!" notes on their own caches. Shouldn't it be possible to de-activate that option for the cache owner? It would be even better if it could be made retroactive, correcting their cache totals, but I imagine that might be more difficult to accomplish.

Thanks again!

Over the last few days the styles have changed multiple times on the /seek/ pages. I didn't really mind any of them, until this one.

Why is there a hover class that makes the fonts bold so it shifts everything on the screen when you mouse over? I'm I the only one that finds this the most annoying thing that could possibly done? Change the color, the underline, but please don't change the font style since the height/width changes.

I hadn't noticed it until today, but when I bring up a search, click on a link and then use the browser back button, the found caches page comes up as having expired and has to be refreshed/retried before I get the search results back. The problem is completely repeatable - every time I went to look at a cache, when I tried to go back to the cache list, I had to go through the same refresh/retry drill.

I just tried it again and it works, but I wasn't logged in before, so maybe that's what makes it intermittent. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd make sure it was reported.

Jon of Jon & Miki

quote:
Originally posted by hbrx:

It would bee cool to search for Travel Bugs near my location, or filter on caches containing TBs in other searches.

Unfortunately it appears you cannot do this with the searches.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

That's what Pocket Queries are for...

Actually pocket queries are not just for finding travel bugs. Unfortunately your answer isn't going to be much help to hbrx, since the PQ's are for Premium members. You need to stop assuming that everyone can get pocket queries.

quote:
Originally posted by murrcat:

ok, duh, I guess the little x's denote the caches that I've found. But I must say I preferred having the caches that I haven't found appearing at the top of each page, it was easier and faster for me to see what was out there to find. Just my opinion.

Mine as well. I don't want to have to scroll thorugh pages and pages of stuff I have already found. Think what the guys who have caches in the hundreds have to scroll through. I do several searches based on the zip code closest to where I'll be caching and the old search was very easy that way.

And what about the bright yellow icon saying "new" - that was very nice - easy to scroll through several pages and see what has been added.

I looks nice though.

[This message was edited by RedShoesGirl on June 19, 2003 at 08:23 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by RedShoesGirl:

I don't want to have to scroll through pages and pages of stuff I have already found. Think what the guys who have caches in the hundreds have to scroll through. I do several searches based on the zip code closest to where I'll be caching and the old search was very easy that way.

This has been asked and answered, but it is a long thread, so it could have been missed.

To eliminate the caches that you have found or hidden, just add &f=1 to the end of the URL on your search.

For example this is a lat/long search using the coordinates of a cache that you have found (Yellowdog6):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=35.19808&lon=-116.14297&f=1

Note, that by adding the &f=1 afterwards, the search results do not include any caches that you have found or hidden.

Here is a search for the ZIP code of Baker, CA (near Yellowdog6).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?tx=9a79e6ce-3344-409c-bbe9-496530baf758&f=1

The &f=1 should have eliminated all of your found/hidden caches (presuming that you are logged in).

Also, by clicking on 'New Search' at the top of a search result page, you will be taken to a search page where there is a check box to eliminate found/hidden caches.

Now I realize that some of this is not entirely intuitive. However, Jeremy is aware of the user convenience issues with the new search and search results pages, and they will be improved in the near future. Until then, just add &f=1 to the end of the URL of a search.

I hope this is helpful.

Happy hunting,

Tom

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

Now I am in a position to agree that some features should be available to premium members only. The found maps being one of them, with perhaps the option of more defined search options that can narrow down a cache search much more than features available to the masses.

Not only that, but I'd be interested in sorting on certain fields, like when last found with never found at the top, sort on lastest placed, recently placed cache highlighted, clickable cache owners to take me directly to their profile, maps with found/owned cache not listed, stuff like that.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:

Now I am in a position to agree that some features should be available to premium members only.

Agreed. If one geocaches regularly, then $3 bucks a month should not be a big deal for customizable search features (a movie is $10). The basic search result should be fine for the casual cacher. I'm all for Groundspeak making some money.

I would also like to have the ability to do unlimited PocketQuery type searches that do not result in sending an email with the EasyGPS and MobiPocket files. This should not be a huge strain on the server, and it would allow Premium members to do more than 5 highly customizable searches per day. Mind you, I love EasyGPS and MobiPocket files, I would just like to be able to do more advanced searches without putting too much of a strain on the servers.

Hehe, here's a pretty easy one, Jeremy.

If you filter your search, the page still says "All Geocaches" at the top of the page. Very, very minor, but I expected it to say something different, since my finds weren't included.

Maybe it should read:

Filtered Geocaches

By {waypoint,zip code, etc.}

Excluding {Found, Owned, Multi, etc}

Been away a while, and just saw the new search page format. Sorry, don't like it too much.

For my old eyes, the font is a bit hard to read.

But the thing that makes it hard to use is that the found and unfound caches are all mixed together (the faint highlighting does not help much, you still have to read it all).

I really liked having the unfound caches in a group. Now, if you had a search option (for members) that just showed one type of cach (unfound, found, ownded, all), then it would be much usable again.

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Actually pocket queries are not just for finding travel bugs. Unfortunately your answer isn't going to be much help to hbrx, since the PQ's are for Premium members. You need to stop assuming that everyone can get pocket queries.

You're right. My answer was much too short, and came across as condescending, which I did not mean to do.

My full answer:

Right now, searching for caches near you with that have a Travel Bug in them is a feature that can only be done by premium members through Pocket Queries. It appears that you are not a premium member so I'm afraid that doesn't help you much.

Currently, there is not a way to show a list of active caches that contain travel bugs other than searching the nearest cache pages and looking for the icon_bug.gif Travel Bug icon.

===================

I'll have to agree to others above regarding premium features going to non-premium members. If you could get all the perks of flying first class by paying coach prices, would you still pay first class prices to "help support the airline"?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I noticed that Jeremy said most of the login issues have been fixed... however, I'm still having trouble. I think it's because I access the site both from work and from home, and Hawkeye also uses the same login to access the site from his work and home computers. Before the upgrade, we never had trouble staying logged in from four different sites, but now we're getting bounced out a lot. I can go to "my cache page" and see that I'm logged in... but the logout occurs when I click one of the search links (from my home coordinates / filtered). (If this doesn't fall under the "most" issues that have been fixed, no problem, we'll wait.)

Red IS gone!! Thank You! Page looks much better now.

I, too, will be glad when and if the search from My Cache Page either automatically removes ones I've found and hidden or puts them at the bottom of the page as before.

But, I can be patient.

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

I can go to "my cache page" and see that I'm logged in... but the logout occurs when I click one of the search links (from my home coordinates / filtered). (If this doesn't fall under the "most" issues that have been fixed, no problem, we'll wait.)

I had a similar problem this morning. But I deleted my cookies (hadn't done that yet), shut down the browser, opened it back up and went to the site and problem solved. Now I can go to my page and click the search to coord links and stay logged in.

You may want to try deleting your cookies for this website (easiest way is to search your computer for "geocaching" and look for little 1K text files usually in a folder called Cookies).

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Any chance of getting the little watchlist icon reinstated?

Reinstated. Also I added a "new" icon if the cache was found in the last 7 days, and modified the distance field to show the default distance. You can switch between km and mi now with a click (it stores in session). I'll have the option to choose meters or miles in your login preferences soon.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Jeremy -

The Watched cache icon is great, and the removal of the Bold on Mouseover is much better now! It really was causing text to jump around before.

Interesting concept on the "New" icon for those caches which have been found (by ANYONE) in the last 7 days. What about a different type of icon instead? How about a little animated .gif file of a treasure box being opened or something? If you want, I (or anyone else with more talent) can try making such an icon for you.

Another thought... you might want to make the white background on the travel bug icon transparent, since now it shows up sometimes on a colored background, and the colored background doesn't shine through the travel bug's transparent areas like it should. Again, I can do that for you if you'd like. These things are superficial, but some of us would be glad to chip in and help you so you have more time for the serious issues.

Good job! You're kicking butt now!

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I was confused for a second with the new New! icon...I thought "now why do these old caches have New! icons? icon_confused.gif Then I realized it meant there were new logs...but I still don't really like this feature.

For one, its confusing for the afore mentioned reason. Two, its repetative since you already have it saying "two days ago" or whatever.

A possible solution would be to make the color of the font that says "two days ago" yellow if it is within 0-7 days.

Silly little annoyance...I appreciate all the hardwork and can't wait to see whats next!

Happy Halloween

One thing I'd love to see come back is my Watch List icons.

I do alot of my caching from my watch list and now I can't tell what I'm watching from the "nearest" lists.

Please bring them back!

Draegon

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

"To conquer without risk is to succeed without glory"

This is an awfully long thread, so I apologize in advance if this was already mentioned. Tonight I created a new cache, no problem. But when I tried to access the finished cache to edit it prior to its review I kept getting bounced to the "hide & seek a cache" page. I tried again from "My cache" page, where the new cache is listed, and got bounced to the same "hide & seek" page. This is new behavior of the site - I used to be able to view and edit a cache before it went "live".

OK, I tried holding down the shift key when I clicked the link to the new cache and it opened up - go figure...

[This message was edited by ZingerHead on June 19, 2003 at 06:48 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by ZingerHead:

Tonight I created a new cache, no problem. But when I tried to access the finished cache to edit it prior to its review I kept getting bounced to the "hide & seek a cache" page. I tried again from "My cache" page, where the new cache is listed, and got bounced to the same "hide & seek" page. This is new behavior of the site - I used to be able to view and edit a cache before it went "live".

OK, I tried holding down the shift key when I clicked the link to the new cache and it opened up - go figure...

This seems like similar behavior to what I see when I search for a cache and I'm not logged in (as far the the particular sarch page was concerned). When the Hide and Seek a Cache page pops up, does it specify at the topif you're logged in or not? This might be one of those asp vs. aspx cookie issues.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Any chance of getting the little watchlist icon reinstated?

Reinstated. Also I added a "new" icon if the cache was found in the last 7 days, and modified the distance field to show the default distance. You can switch between km and mi now with a click (it stores in session). I'll have the option to choose meters or miles in your login preferences soon.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

I am glad to see that MILES will be a Preference.... AS an AMERICAN I prefer to be Polilically INCORRECT, MILES, feet Inches, Gallons, American STANDARD, not metric anything if I can help it.(used to be so bad, that I actually replaced every Metric nut and bolt on a car with ASE nuts and Bolts)

GOD BLESS AMERICA....

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

Heh, I was assuming the NEW! icon all over the place was a bug. It's quite distracting -- when I see it, I jump, because it means a NEW CACHE! I agree with other comments -- if you really want to emphasize caches found within the last seven days, I'd suggest making a new icon rather than re-using this one. If it appears all over the page, it's hard to tell when it has real significance (a new cache, something I care very much about) or not (someone found a cache six days ago? uh, that's nice). It's adding clutter/visual noise. An animated GIF would be even noisier. I think the best suggestion is to use a different color for the "3 days ago" note on recently-found caches.

I do care when caches were last found -- I regularly scan my found list for new logs, for instance. But I do it more often than once a week, and have no difficulty scanning by the "x days ago" field. The new display has already made this more convenient than it used to be without any icon at all... but if you do want to use one, I'd suggest a less flashy one, and one that doesn't already have another meaning.

quote:
Originally posted by Brainerd: I do several searches based on the zip code closest to where I'll be caching and the old search was very easy that way.

This has been asked and answered, but it is a long thread, so it could have been missed.

To eliminate the caches that you have found or hidden, just add &f=1 to the end of the URL on your search.

Thanks Tom, but to put it bluntly this is dumb. I have to do each search twice now.

and yes, I did miss it being covered in the six pages of messages before this one!

Tonight my searches have several "new" icons next to them....old caches...not new ones = way confusing.

I agree that the "New" image showing new logs on a cache is a bit redundant redundant. You already know that the cache was found 'Today', so what would be the point of putting 'New!' next to that? I would imagine that if a cache was found, a log would be included, as it is impossible to log a cache find otherwise. However, the icon indicating a new cache is good.

Now, since this thread has already extended to 7 pages, with no end in sight, perhaps a New Nearest Cache Page (Observations) Part Deux is warranted. icon_smile.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:

I agree that the "New" image showing new logs on a cache is a bit redundant redundant. You already know that the cache was found 'Today', so what would be the point of putting 'New!' next to that

Brian

Team A.I.

Redundancy is not always bad. I like the new "new" icon on the "last found" column. It gives me a quick way to see what recent activity there has been in the area I am searching.

Of course that information is available in text...but it's much faster to find with the visual clue.

If "new" is good for "placed", why isn't it good for "found"?

quote:
Originally posted by RedShoesGirl:

Tonight my searches have several "new" icons next to them....old caches...not new ones = way confusing.

RedShoesGirl...

I know. I kinda agree, but it does make for quick browsing. And there is a distinction between the 'NEW' caches and the ones that have been 'NEWLY' visited. The new icon for the 'New' caches will be in the Placed column, and the new icon for the caches that were 'newly' visited will be in the Last Found column.

I believe that the new icon appears when the cache was either placed or visited in the past 7 days.

I hope this helps in deciphering the new search result page.

Happy hunting,

Tom

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Originally posted by Great Scott!:

How do I make it stick? Each new time I open my nearest cache page, I have to switch back to miles.

I noticed that this morning. It is stored in you session but if you aren't logged in it won't stay. I'll see what I can do to fix it.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

Perhaps the "new" icon should be redesigned to say "found" to help cut down on the confusion. Then "new" really means a new cache and "found" highlights the fact that it was found recently.

We're designing new icons for the nearest cache page. I'll see what I can do to make the new images different.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

What about an ability to search more than one type of cache at a time, like only the Traditionals and the Multis?

The drop down box is not letting me pick more than one type--dropdowns are mutually exclusive, I guess.

Check boxes or list boxes would allow us to have more that one type without requiring us to see all of them.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

I know you've already responded to this Jeremy but I'd just like to reiterate the addition of multiple choice filtering. That's the *only* thing I can find to critique, otherwise I really like the new layout. Though it seems unpopular for some, I like having my found caches seen in context with other caches. The [X] and green date is enough to let me know I've found it already and I get a better sense of what caches I've done in relation to the ones I haven't.

Thanks for the hard work, I think it's great!

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

... I'd just like to reiterate the addition of multiple choice filtering. That's the *only* thing I can find to critique, otherwise I really like the new layout. ...

Thanks for the hard work, I think it's great!

-Dan

I agree with Dan. However, this should probably be a premium member option. $3 a month is nothing for the service that you provide for me, but there should be a bit more of a benefit to upgrading to a premium membership than what presently exists.

Happy hunting,

Tom

Henry David Thoreau

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

quote:

I agree that the "New" image showing new logs on a cache is a bit redundant redundant. You already know that the cache was found 'Today', so what would be the point of putting 'New!' next to that

Brian

Team A.I.

Redundancy is not always bad. I like the new "new" icon on the "last found" column. It gives me a quick way to see what recent activity there has been in the area I am searching.

Of course that information is available in text...but it's much faster to find with the visual clue.

If "new" is good for "placed", why isn't it good for "found"?

Because it's repeating information you already have a visual clue for. If it was never found, you have nothing in the far right column. If it HAS been found, you are already told that the cache has a find log and how many days ago. You also have notification of when YOU found the cache. Redundancy isn't bad if the redundant information isn't right next to the same information. There should simply be one or the other. Since cachers seem to like the fact that the results page shows when it was last found, I think it should stay. The problem is going to be that the results page is going to get too 'busy', which with the addition of the 'New!' graphic in the found column, is beginning to happen. Certain amounts of different colors is fine, but too much of the wrong color (in this case, yellow) begins to take away from the page itself. If there *must* be a graphic there, I would suggest a med. green instead of the yellow to highlight the graphic. That way, it doesn't blend into the green of the border and graphics that already exist. Also, not 'New!' for the graphic in the found column.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Great Scott!:

How do I make it stick? Each new time I open my nearest cache page, I have to switch back to miles.

I noticed that this morning. It is stored in you session but if you aren't logged in it won't stay. I'll see what I can do to fix it.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Jeremy,

My nearest is now in Kilometers. I want miles.

How do we change that for each user?

Also any chance we will show the submitted cache hider from the online submission form and cache title page and not the account holder?

I have an adopted cache that no longer shows the original hider because it is hooked to my account.

Thanks for all your hard work, Jeremy--I'm loving the site more every day!

How about a solution to the flaw that only credits the first person/team listed as the hider of a cache? For example, if a cache is hid by 'Ren and Stimpy,' only Ren gets credit for hiding the cache. It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to fix...

The "New" flag comes up along side many caches that were placed a while back. It shows up under the "Last Found" column. It seems that anything found within the last 6 days is getting the "New" flag. I thought it was for new caches that were placed.

Nothing Worth Knowing Reveals Its Secrets Easily - A Friend

Did it. Now I'm a Premie.

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

Doh! Now I'll have to quit mooching of gc.com and pay up to get this feature.

quote:

Yes. However due to bandwidth and server load we will have to make this for Premium Members only. That shouldn't be a problem since you are one.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish