New Nearest Cache Page (Observations)

iryshe

If you have any requests/observations include them here. I'll compile a list and try to apply them to a new release.

Already asked:

1. Keep coordinates from your last search for quick queries.

2. For caches found (by username), if the query is for your finds, show the last found date for the cache and not of the user.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I'm not sure if this is the right place as this applies to the search by zipcode, but now I get a page full of locationless caches in my list. I preferred it when the search for those was seperate. Thanks.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Any way to configure what it does when I hit nearest caches from My Cache Page? Right now it gives me X's in the brackets for founds, but our hiddens are not marked in any way (at least that I see....they look like ones we have not found).

Maybe it is just my old eyes or something about my browser, but the font is so small it is difficult for me to read. My husband made the same comment (on a different computer).

Does seem much faster. I also like that the search goes out to 150 miles. I will have to play with the different options and try to get the hang of those.

Alchemist2000

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I must not be understanding how this is susposed to work. I'm getting a page full of caches I have already found. I went to the new search page and checked the box to exclude caches I have found or hidden but when I return to the page of caches within my search area, it's still full of caches I've already found. Oh well, I guess it will all work out eventually.

Minor annoyance, the page numbers

Prev.   <<   <[1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]>   >>   Next
don't scroll. I've seen where with the above example, page 10 would be towards the middle of the list. Kind of like how Google does it, but with only 10 pages visible at a time.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I like what I see so far but I'm having some problems with searching for Belgian caches.

I can only search for caches in Belgium that have a state/province filled in while most of the caches here don't have that information. Being such a small country filling in that information just doesn't make much sense.

Is there any way to change this to the situation in for example the Netherlands,

where you just get a -not appicable- in the state/province box ?

ok, duh, I guess the little x's denote the caches that I've found. But I must say I preferred having the caches that I haven't found appearing at the top of each page, it was easier and faster for me to see what was out there to find. Just my opinion.

Is there a way to not see caches I've found or hidden when I click on Nearest Caches from My Cache page? At least in the old system they were grouped, this new format makes that particular link almost worthless.

I like the format but not this quirk.

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

I normally use Netscape 7.0. The font is definitely much smaller than you have normally used on geocaching.com pages in the past....and seems to be the case on all of the new pages you have just implemented. Brought everything up in IE and the font seemed more normal size.

Alchemist2000

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Minor annoyance, the page numbers

Prev.   <<   <[1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]>   >>   Next
don't scroll.

Eh? Try clicking on >

What I'm getting at is for it to do it automatically, like

Prev.   <<   <[5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14]>   >>   Next
if you're on page 10.

Plus, if you're on page 11 and use the <, it goes to page 1, not page 10.

But, like I said, minor. A lot of the other stuff mentioned is much higher priority.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Jeremy:

I like the new page look a lot but there are a couple of things I've noticed.

When I click on "search for caches close to my home coordinates" from "my cache page", the page I get to does show the caches closest to my home coords but it also says I am not logged in, even if I have already logged in with "remember me" ticked. We've talked about this in #geocache and I seem not to be the only one who is having this happen. Because I am not logged in, I cannot see when I last visited the caches.

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of liked having the ones I've found or are disabled (less so on the latter) at the bottom. I will probably get used to it being the new way, though.

gnbrotz mentioned in #geocache that he was unable to stay logged in *at all* -- unable to edit caches because even though he logged in he kept suddenly being not logged in. I don't know if this is related to the update.

Anyway, as I said, I really like it. It's a lot prettier (nice colors). Thanks, Jeremy.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

When I click on "search for caches close to my home coordinates from "my cache page", the page I get to does show the caches closest to my home coords but it also says I am not logged in, even if I have already logged in with "remember me" ticked.

If you use two different computers to surf the site and you use the "Remember me" link, you will get logged out of any page that ends in *.aspx when you switch between machines. There are two different logins for all the *.asp and *.aspx pages (asp and asp.net) so the old site is still using a different login concept.

If you get logged out on the nearest cache page, click the login link and log back in. We're working as fast as we can to make all the pages work in dot net so you'll have to bear with the transition. At least the site is running faster.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

What about an ability to search more than one type of cache at a time, like only the Traditionals and the Multis?

The drop down box is not letting me pick more than one type--dropdowns are mutually exclusive, I guess.

Check boxes or list boxes would allow us to have more that one type without requiring us to see all of them.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I've noticed that watched caches aren't marked (little spectacles) any more.

Any chance that can be re-instated.

Also distances seem to have changed. Have I moved, or is it using kms instead of miles now?

One day my sigline will stop changing.

Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". icon_smile.gif

thataway is the last place I ever found signs of anyone getting in here...

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

If you would like to have a say in the future of geocaching in the UK, please visit http://www.gagb.org.uk

Hmm, this is gonna take some serious getting used to!

The new features are nice (I guess), but I liked the idea of separating caches on the original report by whether you'd found them or hidden them. That feature will be missed.

The filtering dropdown box should really be a series of check boxes. That way we could at least search for caches near our home without seeing locationless caches or having to do multiple searches. I would rather see checkboxes than multiple selections in the drop down, but we could live with either I guess.

Locationless caches appear to be still selected by where they are "located" when posted. In the case of locationless caches, the distance criteria is meaningless. I'd rather see them sorted as newest first in the case of locationless.

Whatever selections are made in the dropdown or checkboxes should be retained as part of the URL so that we could save the URL as a bookmark and not have to reconstruct the query each time we log on to see what caches have popped up in our neighborhood. It may already be that way, but if not, I think that's an important feature.

Well, sorry to be less than enthusiastic, but it's kind of a shock when an old friend undergoes such a drastic facelift. Hopefully we'll be able to get the same things done somehow.

Jon & Miki

Well, faster, but it seems like we've lost function here...

1 No indication of watched caches

2 No indication of whether we've found it

3 Unknown (changed?) radius (or else a lot of new caches are showing up)

And with the new filter, some things seem missing:

4 No easy way to filter based on our home coordinates (without retyping them?)

5 No multiple selections of type of cache

I know change can be hard, and this is still my favorite site, but I think some enhancements are needed...

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I also have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in seeing locationless caches.

No need to yell. Just do a new search and filter your request by type.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Sorry, my raised voice was simply my distaste for that cache type which has been beat to death icon_smile.gif

Your reply though misses the point. I want to see all caches except locationless. The only option if you don't want to see a non-geocache is to search for all the traditional, then all the multi's, then all the micros, etc.

It would be nice to see some of the pocket query options available in the regular searches.

I like it, it looks like a big improvement. I have two suggestions:

1. Add an option of searching for Traditional and Multi caches (i.e. real caches) at the same time or allow for selection of multiple types.

2. Change the default target on the search result page so that the cache pages open up in new windows.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Rocket Man

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

1. Add an option of searching for Traditional and Multi caches (i.e. real caches) at the same time or allow for selection of multiple types.

Hmm... Maybe. I'll look into it. I will probably filter out Locationless caches in the near future (Rusty)

quote:

2. Change the default target on the search result page so that the cache pages open up in new windows. That will save a lot of reload time when going back to the search page

This I won't do, since I'll get more complaints than praises for that one. What I do is right click on a cache and choose to view in another window. A keyboard shortcut is to hold shift down when clicking on a link to open a new browser window.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

When I search for all caches found by me, I am only shown 16. My status page shows 28 found. Something not right here.

(And shouldn't it be easier find my finds...like have the user name default to me...)

[Edit later: This was my mistake. I had subsetted by type...now to check if anyone responded to this...]

[This message was edited by beejay&esskay on June 15, 2003 at 08:15 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

Well, faster, but it seems like we've lost function here...

1 No indication of watched caches

I will be re-adding this to the pages within the week.

2 No indication of whether we've found it

Green date (on the right) and [x] mark to the left of the name. You can also remove all finds from your list (New Search)

3 Unknown (changed?) radius (or else a lot of new caches are showing up)

150 miles max. I may reduce it back to 100 miles since it isn't necessary for everyone. Not sure why this is on your "lost functionality list" though icon_smile.gif

4 No easy way to filter based on our home coordinates (without retyping them?)

The nearest cache page was a huge job. I'll probably set something more functional on the "my cache page" which is due for a massive overhaul anyway. In the meantime I'll probably create a dropdown option for "my home coordinates" on the nearest cache search page. Eventually I'd like to have the ability for users to store multiple bookmarks of coordinates for later use.

5 No multiple selections of type of cache

Right. Of course this functionality didn't exist before. Since it is a new capability I'm sure it will improve over time. Again, not sure where you're losing functionality when this option didn't exist before.

quote:

I know change can be hard, and this is still my favorite site, but I think some enhancements are needed...

Well, duh icon_wink.gif

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

quote:
Originally posted by beejay&esskay:

When I search for all caches found by me, I am only shown 16. My status page shows 28 found. Something not right here.

Yeah. You searched for only traditional caches. You have 16 traditional caches found.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

What are the pocket queries going to look like now?

Is there any way to remove your caches placed and or found from the list?

Maybe the cache dates that you found should be red and the caches that you have not found should be green. Hmmm just a thought. But I really like the look.

I love it! Of course, who is ever 100% satisfied? When I limit the search to caches in my state, they are listed in the order they were hidden. If there was a way to change the sort order based on distance from my home coords that would be very cool. But this is an improvement.

Now, about those maps..... icon_wink.gif

Much faster! Sunday night, and I don't notice any bogging by the server. Now that I've found the "Exclude hidden/found..." checkbox, I'm much happier with the search page than before.

We're having no luck pasting coordinates into the search box to find nearest caches. It only give us results from N 00 00.000 W 00 00.000. Allowing pasting into a single search box would be helpful, but I do realize that parsing that data out may be problematic. Wait, I'm in Texas; problematicable.

Now if we could just get the founds back on the state map page, searching would be PERFECT! (yes, yes, I know. Another topic that's been beaten senseless.)

Nonetheless, thanks for your tireless efforts, Jeremy and team!

Budophylus

San Antonio, TX

5-star cache team member (because we can make the easiest 1/1 into a 5-* difficulty cache)

What started all of this? Well, I said to my friend: "I'm bored. Can't we find a new sport?" Now, hundreds of caches later...

Ok maybe I'm being totally blond here and missing something obvious, but what happened to being able to look up a map of your state?

I loved being able to look at the map, zoom in on an area and go from there.

I've been looking and looking and I cant find that option. Is that feature gone or am I just missing the obvious?

quote:
Originally posted by budophylus:

We're having no luck pasting coordinates into the search box to find nearest caches. It only give us results from N 00 00.000 W 00 00.000. Allowing pasting into a single search box would be helpful, but I do realize that parsing that data out may be problematic. Wait, I'm in Texas; problematicable.

Select By Coordinates first. A new search box will reload in the window. Enter from there.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Huh... Only one other person seems to have my problem:

I can no longer log a cache!

The search page shows me as "not logged in", but every other page has me logged in and clickng "log in" just returns me to my page stating "logged in".

On the cache page itself, clicking "log in to log this cache" returns me to my page showing me as already "logged in".

I already figured out that the search page requires JAVA (read: slow) to get to other pages, but I haven't found any of the filtering stuff everyone's talking about, so trying to get to the unfound caches was pointless.

(I went backed and searched by keyword, but as said, couldn't log it.)

!?!!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but something's not right here.

Thanks,

Randy

Actually, I finished my log in too much haste.

I would love to have the ability to define from "My" page that when I do a search from my home coords/Zip code to exclude my hidden/found caches at that point, to avoid having to do another search. Perhaps this could be implemented when you do the aformentioned "My" page overhaul. This would cut down on the need to do a second search, and take some of the strain off of the server. Not that it appears to need the relief right now....

Budophylus

San Antonio, TX

5-star cache team member (because we can make the easiest 1/1 into a 5-* difficulty cache)

What started all of this? Well, I said to my friend: "I'm bored. Can't we find a new sport?" Now, hundreds of caches later...

Excellent upgrade. I appreciate having the ability to customize my search to my specific criteria. I also like the ablity to to eliminate caches I've hidden/found if I choose to do so.

Now when can I expect the found caches feature to be restored to the maps pages! That is a feature I relied on quite often to play Geocaching excursions.

Thanks

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEOGeocachers/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NWPAGeocachers/

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Hmm... Maybe. I'll look into it. I will probably filter out Locationless caches in the near future (Rusty)

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Thank you for being so responsive on what surely is a hot-button issue. All in all the increased page speed, and cleaner format are welcome despite the minor annoyances(sp?).

Oooh... I'm excited I'm excited I'm excited!

I'll be glad to see the watch notifications pop back up. You could probably just pop the icon right under the checklist marker to the left of the cache type; I don't think it would disturb the column too much.

The more-than-one-type function would be really cool, but it'll probably be hard to code. If you're feeling ambitious, go for it! I personally don't have a need for it, but it seems like others do.