Garmin Oregon 300 software 4.20

Has anyone installed this, and what are the new features / fixes?

I tried looking at Garmin's site but couldn't find any information.

Changes from version 4.10 to version 4.20:

Updated magnetic Earth field data

Improved GPS performance

Improved support for BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (each provider's imagery can be configured independently)

Increased the maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200

Fixed issues with WAAS/EGNOS

Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list

Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing

Fixed shutdown on the map page when you have a geocache dashboard active and return after pressing the geocache name

Fixed issue with photo viewer not displaying correctly

Fixed issue with 3D view

Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point

Fixed shutdown when the device had more than the maximum number of JNX files on it

Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size

Fixed shutdown associated with certain custom POI files

Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field

Fixed an issue related to adding a geocache as a point in a route

Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings

Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

Has anyone installed this, and what are the new features / fixes?

I tried looking at Garmin's site but couldn't find any information.

Updated from 4.19 beta.

Unit said I was installing 'an older version' than already installed... :unsure:

Seems to be OK. Now shows the 'D' for WAAS/EGNOS again. (Lost in one of the beta's)

Installed it, zero problems. Did take awhile to lock on to birds after the reboot but after a flash update, it’s not unexpected. Was back to normal after that. Went out yesterday and tried it, can’t comment on the fixes as I’ve never experienced the issues, other than can vouch for the annoying ‘arriving at destination’ is now history. That in itself is worth the update. B)

DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.20!!!!

Did the update on my 200 this morning to version 4.20....have not been able to get satellites since.....I e-mailed garmin, waiting to hear back....even tried downgrading to 4.19 with no luck.... worked fine before the update.

It's been working fine for me.

Did the update on my 200 this morning to version 4.20....have not been able to get satellites since.....I e-mailed garmin, waiting to hear back....even tried downgrading to 4.19 with no luck.... worked fine before the update.

It's been working fine for me.

Working fine for me too. Oregon 300.

I don't recall if the "Arriving at destination" is really gone though.

Works for me too on my Oregon 200.

I found 24 caches yesterday with the new update, and didn't even notice that the "Arriving at Destination" banner was missing. I guess I'd already tuned out that annoyance. :)

Been using v4.2 on my Oregon 300 for almost a month now. Works flawlessly, found caches without any problems. Not sure why some are having WAAS issues, I have no problems to report; often times I look at the satellite page and have D's all over. This version is working so good for me I'm almost afraid to upgrade to the next update if one becomes available.

Been caching the last few days. 4.2 working great. Co-ords as near as can be, ie cachers I know have soft coords, I know coords are off! Other cachers coords I get the reading I expect to get.

It's a challenge to the old Map60CXs... :ph34r:

The 'Nearing Destination' screen has gone, it's just a 'Beep' as you near the cache.

4.20? Brilliant!

So how long should it take the unit to update itself? It's been 30 mins now and still nothing "loading profiles...." The unit is my brothers so I felt it was time to update it. It was never updated before.

You plug the unit into the computer, then run the WebUpdater. It should download in 30 seconds or so. Then it will tell you to disconnect and power on. The new software installation should take a minute or two.

It sounds like you're stuck on the boot page. Remove & re-install the batteries and try again.

Whew... it works. I was also able to put some Mapsource maps on it too. It's a big step up from my Garmin GPSMap 76

Thanks again 3XCrown

BTW, when that happens, it means some or all of your geocaches might NOT have been loaded. I recommend connecting back to the computer, deleting all the geocaches, and upload them again.

It's been so long since I updated my Oregon 200 that I've forgotten the answer.

I have basically nothing extra on the unit itself (NW Trails for Washington is under 3MB) but the unit shows as only 1.9MB free. How can I clean up the unit to make enough room to update ? How much free space does an Oregon 200 have normally ?

I have basically nothing extra on the unit itself (NW Trails for Washington is under 3MB) but the unit shows as only 1.9MB free. How can I clean up the unit to make enough room to update ? How much free space does an Oregon 200 have normally ?

From the wiki:

The Oregon 200 is a low memory version with 24MB of internal memory with a preloaded Americas basemap

Things you can safely delete : GPX files in your Garmin\GPX folder, anything in Garmin\GPX\Current folder , Wherigo cartridges, any IMG files in Garmin other than the base map, and your field notes Garmin\geocache_visits.txt

Move them to your hard disk instead of deleting them if you're not sure.

From the wiki:

The Oregon 200 is a low memory version with 24MB of internal memory with a preloaded Americas basemap

sigh - I remember now.

I use a mac. Deleting stuff doesn't delete unless you empty the trash.

Duh.