POLL: Choose locationless cache logo (PART 2/2)

Captain Morgan

Experience teaches us that getting the forum community to agree upon any sort of logo can be a long and painful process.

So why don't we just all agree to do what Leatherman says, like we wound up doing before? It would save a lot of typing.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Please attend our seminar, "Geocaching for Time Travelers," which will be held two weeks ago.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

None of them really conveys how bogus the whole locationless cache concept is. :-)

While I respect your opinion (and everyone's right to choose which caches to hunt and which to ignore), I wanted to note that people like Cap'n Morgan who do not live in cache-rich areas NEED the locationless caches to feed their habit. Those of us who have hundreds of caches within 100 miles should feel fortunate. If someone in Finland is excited enough about locationless caches to create a bunch of logos, go for it!

Yeah, I have found ten or so locationless caches. But only if I discover them totally by accident while on the way to a traditional cache hunt. In contrast, I've yet to hunt for a benchmark. The concept doesn't do anything for me. (hmmmm... maybe if locationless caches or even virtuals had their own separate areas like benchmarking, people would feel differently...)

PS: My 8 year old daughter thinks that any virtual or locationless cache is bogus. We've agreed to disagree, and I hunt down the virts when Little Leprechaun is staying at her mom's.

Everyone gets to make up their own standards, which is one of the reasons geocaching is fun.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Please attend our seminar, "Geocaching for Time Travelers," which will be held two weeks ago.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

While I respect your opinion (and everyone's right to choose which caches to hunt and which to ignore), I wanted to note that people like Cap'n Morgan who do not live in cache-rich areas NEED the locationless caches to feed their habit. Those of us who have hundreds of caches within 100 miles should feel fortunate. If someone in Finland is excited enough about locationless caches to create a bunch of logos, go for it!

Yeah, I have found ten or so locationless caches. But only if I discover them totally by accident while on the way to a traditional cache hunt. In contrast, I've yet to hunt for a benchmark. The concept doesn't do anything for me. (hmmmm... maybe if locationless caches or even virtuals had their own separate areas like benchmarking, people would feel differently...)

PS: My 8 year old daughter thinks that any virtual or locationless cache is bogus. We've agreed to disagree, and I hunt down the virts when Little Leprechaun is staying at her mom's.

Everyone gets to make up their own standards, which is one of the reasons geocaching is fun.

I've done one locationless and one Virt.

I shouldn't feel ashamed of those two caches because of some peoples abusive opinions.

lodging3.jpggeol1.jpg

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

Just for the record, I've done a few locationless ones, and I even created one (but it required actually using the GPS to find something instead of the other way around). I don't plan on doing any more though, unless I see one that's really cool.

That being said, none of the icons I saw presented the nature of the locationless cache.

Perhaps one that includes one of:

(a) a camera

(:D a GPS with an "X" through it

© an "L" with a "?"

(d) a map with a "?"

(e) a postcard (this might be the best!)

It's hard to convey a mind-picture of the reverse-quest with an icon, I guess.

I like the "L," but it should be scarlet. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I do think the ability to identify and sort any/all cache types would be an excellent feature.

I like Infosponge's suggestions, but the "?" is already being used to identify "mystery" caches ... perhaps a sphere (globe) with an L or camera on it would work.

I think it would be very nice if the virtuals were a different color on the map search page. I personally dont search for them and they look the same as any other cache on the maps. Even better still would be if they had a seperate search page like the benchmarks. I agree that there is a debate between the likes and dislikes of virtuals and I think this would be a cure all. However I have no clue how much work that is for the folks running the site or if Im too much of a minority with these thoughts.

quote:
Originally posted by team bubbletree:

Even better still would be if they had a seperate search page like the benchmarks...I think this would be a cure all.

I'm a little confused by this statement. Do you mean virtuals (as your post said) or locationless?

If indeed you meant virtuals, this creates a problem for those who like virtuals. It would mean that there would be no combined search of local caches, whereas right now it's a one-time proximity search.

The same cannot be said for locationless caches because proximity searches mean nothing in a locationless cache.

So yes - seaparate out Locationless caches into another category with a yellow background instead of the green (cache) or blue (bugs) or orange (benchmarks). But not virtuals.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Virtual

camera4.jpg

Locationless

camera6.jpg

One more change I would like to see is a way of differentiating between Normal caches and puzzle caches. The ones where you have to research or solve puzzles to complete. I hate getting out to a cache just to find that I can't solve the puzzle without a encyclopedia or trigonometry book.

mappuzzle.gif

lodging3.jpggeol1.jpg

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!