Garmin software update 4.5

Changelog.

Change History

Changes made from version 4.20 to 4.50:

• Updated magnetic Earth field data
  • Improved GPS performance
  • Improved support for BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (each provider's imagery can be configured independently)
  • Increased the maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200
  • Fixed issues with WAAS/EGNOS
  • Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list
  • Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing
  • Fixed shutdown on the map page when you have a geocache dashboard active and return after pressing the geocache name
  • Fixed issue with moon not showing on sun and moon page
  • Fixed issue with photo viewer not displaying correctly
  • Fixed issue with progress bar displaying properly on power up
  • Fixed issue with waypoint distances showing significantly off in the waypoint manager
  • Fixed issue with 3D view
  • Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point
  • Fixed shutdown when more than the maximum number of JNX files were present
  • Fixed 'Search Near' functionality on Hunt & Fish and Sun & Moon pages
  • Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size
  • Fixed shutdown associated with certain custom POI files
  • Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field
  • Fixed problem with profiles and the fields on the map page
  • Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings
  • Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs
  • Fixed an issue with archived tracks not displaying properly
  • Fixed an issue with having too many custom symbols on the device
  • Fixed an issue with renaming a waypoint immediately after creating it
  • Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

Changelog.

Change History

Changes made from version 4.20 to 4.50:

• Updated magnetic Earth field data
  • Improved GPS performance
  • Improved support for BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (each provider's imagery can be configured independently)
  • Increased the maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200
  • Fixed issues with WAAS/EGNOS
  • Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list
  • Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing
  • Fixed shutdown on the map page when you have a geocache dashboard active and return after pressing the geocache name
  • Fixed issue with moon not showing on sun and moon page
  • Fixed issue with photo viewer not displaying correctly
  • Fixed issue with progress bar displaying properly on power up
  • Fixed issue with waypoint distances showing significantly off in the waypoint manager
  • Fixed issue with 3D view
  • Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point
  • Fixed shutdown when more than the maximum number of JNX files were present
  • Fixed 'Search Near' functionality on Hunt & Fish and Sun & Moon pages
  • Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size
  • Fixed shutdown associated with certain custom POI files
  • Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field
  • Fixed problem with profiles and the fields on the map page
  • Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings
  • Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs
  • Fixed an issue with archived tracks not displaying properly
  • Fixed an issue with having too many custom symbols on the device
  • Fixed an issue with renaming a waypoint immediately after creating it
  • Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

Run WebUpdater to get version 4.20 for the Oregon X00 models and 4.50 for the X50's.

I have a problem with almost all versions. Not sure if it is the software issue or something wrong with my unit. I wonder if anyone here can test it on your unit and see if you can re-produce the same scenario: Say you have a lot of geotagged pictures (I have more than 500), you press "Where to" icon then "Photos", press "scroll down" arrow, press "scroll down" arrow one more time. What happens? My 550 will immediately go blank and shut down by itself. I'd appreciate if anyone takes the trouble to test on your own unit. This has been bothering for a long time. Thanks in advance!

Henry

I have a problem with almost all versions. Not sure if it is the software issue or something wrong with my unit. I wonder if anyone here can test it on your unit and see if you can re-produce the same scenario: Say you have a lot of geotagged pictures (I have more than 500), you press "Where to" icon then "Photos", press "scroll down" arrow, press "scroll down" arrow one more time. What happens? My 550 will immediately go blank and shut down by itself. I'd appreciate if anyone takes the trouble to test on your own unit. This has been bothering for a long time. Thanks in advance!

Henry

Wow, I didnt realize I had that many pictures in my unit... 580 pictures, it sure builds up quickly. I wish it had a 5M pixel camera. ;)

I checked my unit and it did crash on the first attempt after the 49th press scroll down.

Second time it scrolled thru all the picts with no problem.

Not sure what to make of it... maybe a problem with one of the pics, or you trying to scroll too fast that it doesnt have time to build the little thumbnail picture or it could be a bug!

Oh yeah I have the pics on a 8GB microsd HC card.

Edited by ZeMartelo

Henry

I can confirm-it did it on mine too.

I'm not getting the little D on the satellite page now. Is WASS messed up now? Had the thing on for over an hour while driving around at lunch time with not one lock. Used to lock all the time.

I was getting the D's with the beta 4.49 and I'm getting them with the 4.50 I put on......they do come and go ( I guess it loses a lock from time to time )

When on compass screen and usually under heavy canopy the unit will quit recording your movements.

I'm not getting the little D on the satellite page now. Is WASS messed up now? Had the thing on for over an hour while driving around at lunch time with not one lock. Used to lock all the time.

When I applied this update, my GPS Mode was reset to "Normal" (WAAS off), I had to go to Setup->System->GPS-> and select WAAS/EGNOS and then it's been working fine after that. Check this setting...

When I applied this update, my GPS Mode was reset to "Normal" (WAAS off), I had to go to Setup->System->GPS-> and select WAAS/EGNOS and then it's been working fine after that. Check this setting...

You know just before I read this I was thinking about it and wondered if I should check that. Lack of experience on my part with these updated. Should check things before I post things I guess. I'll check after work and see how she is set up.

Thanks,

Rob

Likewise the issue with locking up when a new PQ is loaded.

I think they still have no idea why that's happening.

Perhaps equally concerning - there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why it never has happened to some of us. I know we've talked here about this at length -- comparing load methods, use models and everything else. It's an odd gremlin, to be sure. On 4.50, it still behaves the same way for my ~4,000 cache + child new PQ loads. Hangs up about half way on the progress bar for about 15 seconds, then finishes up and I'm ready to go.
Perhaps equally concerning - there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why it never has happened to some of us. I know we've talked here about this at length -- comparing load methods, use models and everything else. It's an odd gremlin, to be sure. On 4.50, it still behaves the same way for my ~4,000 cache + child new PQ loads. Hangs up about half way on the progress bar for about 15 seconds, then finishes up and I'm ready to go.

Yup, that's what it does for me most of the time - just not always. There's no way to reliably reproduce it either. The system.xml file shows no logged errors after it died.

Think I found a bug:

1. Can not "Move to Location" in DEMO MODE.

ex:

1. Main Menu->Setup->System->GPS->Demo Mode

2. Main Menu->Where To?->Recent Finds->(pick one)->Go->"Do you want to simulate driving this route?->Move to Location

Result is same as No in last step, shows your last position.

Worked correctly in the last public(nonbeta) release. Can anyone else duplicate this?

Edit1: downgrading to v4.20 doesn't seem to work either...

Edit2: Garmin was able to replicate this and says that if you get a GPS fix before switching to DEMO MODE, DEMO MODE will work correctly.

Edited by coggins

Anyone else having lock ups when you go to reset, delete all waypoints? I've been having to pull the batteries. It normally will lock up unless I first delete my PQs and any waypoint GPX in the garmin\gpx directory

Since deleting waypoints normally stops it from locking on on loading a new PQ, this is a real pain.

You know just before I read this I was thinking about it and wondered if I should check that. Lack of experience on my part with these updated. Should check things before I post things I guess. I'll check after work and see how she is set up.

Thanks,

Rob

I'm glad you did your post. I've done a lot of these updates and I didn't think to check that either. I just thought it was broke. Sure enough, the setting had been changed.

Thanks!

Brent

myotis - I held my breath and tried the Reset/Delete Waypoints on both an Oregon 450, and 550t - worked fine, no lock ups. Got bold and loaded waypoints back into both units and tried it twice more....again - no lock ups.

Bill

I've messed with it some more. If I do NOT have a PQ with child waypoints loaded, it works fine. But whenever I go to delete all waypoints with a PQ loaded it locks up.

I've messed with it some more. If I do NOT have a PQ with child waypoints loaded, it works fine. But whenever I go to delete all waypoints with a PQ loaded it locks up.

I'm afraid this isn't going to help you much...at least I can't think of a solution for you; however, since I couldn't remember if I actually had a PQ w/child waypoints loaded when I tested this previously...I tried it again (whew, that's a long sentence)!. I loaded a PQ with 744 caches, and 193 child waypoints. I then ran the Reset - "Delete All Waypoints" option on my Oregon - it did not respond as quickly as it does when I select "Delete Current Track" or "Delete Trip Data, Timers, Averages, etc." BUT after about a 1 second delay, it did delete all waypoints without locking up. I reloaded and tried it 3 more times...in each case there was a slight delay, but waypoints were deleted without locking up. Maybe it's the number of child waypoints you have loaded, or possibly the way you have your Oregon "customized". I still think that they (the Oregons) can be configured in so many different ways by the owner...that it is possible one particular combination of settings can cause problems for that owner, but not others (because they haven't set up their Oregons that specific way)...that's just my theory though. I do hope you can find a solution.

Bill

I've determined it is related to the number of childwaypoints. I tried loading just one cache with a childwaypoint and it worked fine. I tried with about 25 caches with child waypoints and it worked fine. I also tried filtering from different distances to make sure there was not a certian waypoint that was causing the problem. I checked and I am loading 511 childwaypoints and when I go to delete, it shows 24% memory used. I also tried some patience as I was pulling the batteries pretty quick. If I let it set for a while, the screen fades away. Then when I power it back up it goes through the reload process-but the waypoints are no longet there. Very strange!