Cache Logging

Have noticed lately that some fellow cachers are logging a cache as found but stating that because they did not have a pen or pencil they were unable to sign the cache log. This may well be the truth but it can also not be especially with harder to find micro's. Surely if one does not have a pen/pencil and cannot sign the log, they should not claim it as a found cache or at least until they bring a pencil/pen and sign said cache log.

I find it hard to believe that any cacher with more than 2 finds would go out without a writing instrument. I would tend not to believe them.

I have forgotten my pen in the car. I have more than 2 finds. I also have walked back to the car for the pen, but while I can't think of exact caches, I am sure there have been times when I didn't.

I find it hard to believe that any cacher with more than 2 finds would go out without a writing instrument. I would tend not to believe them.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. "No tickey, no laundry". Although I do agree with a photo as proof or a note to the CO indicating an alternative signing method was necessary. It can happen that a pen is lost during the search but I think every reasonable effort should be made to sign the log. Happening more than once is suggestive of fudging the numbers of founds. Gee, that doesn't happen, does it?

What's the point of making up rules so you can delete someone's find log?

There is no rule requiring cache owners to delete logs just because the logger says he forgot a pen or couldn't write on a wet log. However, cache owners are allowed (maybe even required) to delete online logs that are bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate. If the cache owner thinks a find log is bogus and there is no signature or other proof to the contrary, the owner can delete the log.

Most cache owners would not think that a cacher saying they forget a pen is trying to cover up a bogus log. Most cache owners would accept it as honestly reporting what happened. But if you see a pattern in someone's logs that makes you suspect that they are always without a pen on caches they were not likely to have found, you might use that as evidence of a bogus log.

Most cache owners would not think that a cacher saying they forget a pen is trying to cover up a bogus log. Most cache owners would accept it as honestly reporting what happened. But if you see a pattern in someone's logs that makes you suspect that they are always without a pen on caches they were not likely to have found, you might use that as evidence of a bogus log.

Hey, thats what I do. :lol::laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(for you guys that don't think Im joking, I am)

I've always got a pen in my pocket, it's a habit I carried over from my days fueling jets. If I leave the house without it in my pocket, it just feels weird... Kinda like if you walk out without the watch you wear everyday. Or, to the younger crowd, like walking out of the house without your cell phone.

The puritan in me tends to agree fully. However, a photo of the cache or a leaf mark or mud mark or whatever to mark the log would also suffice.

If I don't have a pen/pencil I use precious bodily fluids. :blink:

OH EM GEE!

Perhaps that explains the booger I found on a journal recently. :sad:

Yeah, I figured leaving bodily fluids was better than just taking the log book and saying I could not sign because there is no log book. ;)

Maybe I'm new, but it makes me wonder why some people are 'so very paticular' about all the logs & such.

This is a game based on the HONOR system. There are no geo-police to write you a 'geoticket'

Why do people get so upset when things aren't done EXACT?

Sure, I've logged smilies but didn't sign the logs (for variety of reasons including 'forgot my pen', log was soaked, no room on log, blinker logs soooo tight - was afraid to get it out and the ability to get it back in, etc etc etc). I've also gone back to some of them and signed them later. But - how do you know that? Again, based on TRUST/HONOR system.

There are logs signed in the caches that don't get logged online. Those also fall into the 'it's not done properly' scenario doesn't it?

Relax people! Have fun for what the game is to YOU. Stop worrying about what other folks are (and are not) doing. You're spending more time being too worried about what everyone else is doing. Enjoy the game FOR YOU!

Sorry, a little rant...

(J)

Guilty. I rarely bring anything to write with because most cache owners here put pens and/or pencils in their caches. Even many micros have a stub of a pencil. It's so common that when I encounter one without something to write with it's a bit of a surprise. The only exception would be smaller micros and they are a small percentage of caches in this area. Most are small or regular.

But even if there is nothing to write with there is a way to sign the log. Just this week I found a cache that turned out to be a micro without a pencil. I dipped the end of a stick in dirt and scratched my initials in the log. I've also used ashes from a cigar, a soft rock and a leaf rolled up.

As far as people logging my caches, if they tell me they found it and forgot to sign (or forgot a pen on my few log only caches), I take them at their word unless I have a good reason to believe they are not telling the truth.

I have forgotten my pen in the car. I have more than 2 finds. I also have walked back to the car for the pen, but while I can't think of exact caches, I am sure there have been times when I didn't.

The car was about 200 feet away. Most of the walk to the cache was through raspberry brambles and tangled vines. When I found the cache I reached for my pocket with the pen. But no pen. I was not going to walk back through the brambles and vines to the car, then back again to the cache and back yet again to the car. I picked up a stick and wrote an R with dirt.

It's appreciated when the CO provides a pencil in the cache when there's room. Most micros (film canisters, pill bottles) can accommodate a cut down pencil (use a saw or an exacto knife to score and snap the pencil).