Alien Search Party - The 2nd Invasion!

Oh man! I would love to go, but I am hosting IowaGeocachersOrg Hike and Seek Sept 24-25th.

I might be too wore out to go cache halfway across the country!

Keyword...MIGHT!

EDIT: DOUBLE OH MAN! This is in AUGUST! NOT Sept! OK..I'm excited now!

Edited by busterbabes

The power trail itself doesn't interest me from a finding caches standpoint, but I am curious to know what was worked out with the NDOT/etc to resolve issues/difficulties that got the original ET Highway shut down.

Turns out NDOT got a bit of flack from the locals for the decision. Seems the locals wanted the ET trail to return. The CO's were approached about reestablishing the trail.

If I had to guess, the agreement probably looks similar to what was worked out before the supposed snowplow incident.

I'd estimate they'll not place some of the caches in the mountains that had the narrower shoulders and short-visibility curves. They probably will alps have to place caches off the road a bit and not place them at the base of markers.

I doubt we will here details before the trail goes public.

The power trail itself doesn't interest me from a finding caches standpoint, but I am curious to know what was worked out with the NDOT/etc to resolve issues/difficulties that got the original ET Highway shut down.

Turns out NDOT got a bit of flack from the locals for the decision. Seems the locals wanted the ET trail to return. The CO's were approached about reestablishing the trail.

That is hilarious! Don't you just love democracy?! Power to the People...

If I had to guess, the agreement probably looks similar to what was worked out before the supposed snowplow incident.

I'd estimate they'll not place some of the caches in the mountains that had the narrower shoulders and short-visibility curves. They probably will alps have to place caches off the road a bit and not place them at the base of markers.

Per their info page:

"The NEW ET Highway MEGA trail!!!: We have talked to many parties about the ET Highway PT, to include County Commissioners, NDOT & Groundspeak. We have gotten guidelines from NDOT and what they feel meets their safety concerns and have repopulated the area with caches. These caches won’t be along the mile markers like before but a safe 50+ feet off the highway, in areas where there is plenty of room to pull completely off the road. NO chance of meeting up with a snow plow!!! With all parties now on the same page...perhaps this trail will have some staying power!"

Additional info here:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1b8VhcV3yki54pXTMynpnoQPYPFawZjmyD4wj_zZ7bz0

... These caches won’t be along the mile markers like before but a safe 50+ feet off the highway,...

What is that going to do to finds per minute? It would seem that this will limit the maximum 24h find total.

The NEW ET Highway MEGA trail!!!: We have talked to many parties about the ET Highway PT, to include County Commissioners, NDOT & Groundspeak. We have gotten guidelines from NDOT and what they feel meets their safety concerns and have repopulated the area with caches. These caches won’t be along the mile markers like before but a safe 50+ feet off the highway, in areas where there is plenty of room to pull completely off the road. NO chance of meeting up with a snow plow!!! With all parties now on the same page...perhaps this trail will have some staying power!"

What? People are actually going to have to walk 50+ feet? What kind of power trail is that? Hopefully people will be able to drive right up to them somehow.

The NEW ET Highway MEGA trail!!!: We have talked to many parties about the ET Highway PT, to include County Commissioners, NDOT & Groundspeak. We have gotten guidelines from NDOT and what they feel meets their safety concerns and have repopulated the area with caches. These caches won’t be along the mile markers like before but a safe 50+ feet off the highway, in areas where there is plenty of room to pull completely off the road. NO chance of meeting up with a snow plow!!! With all parties now on the same page...perhaps this trail will have some staying power!"

What? People are actually going to have to walk 50+ feet? What kind of power trail is that? Hopefully people will be able to drive right up to them somehow.

They will when Groundspeak releases their new caching vans. All terrain, no doors, fits 6 cachers, has quick detach seat belts and is only 4.5 feet wide. ;)

Edited by daschpeeg

Whether they can/should/are able or not will likely not matter - somebody will rent a Hummer and drive over to them anyway - mark my words.

The NEW ET Highway MEGA trail!!!: We have talked to many parties about the ET Highway PT, to include County Commissioners, NDOT & Groundspeak. We have gotten guidelines from NDOT and what they feel meets their safety concerns and have repopulated the area with caches. These caches wont be along the mile markers like before but a safe 50+ feet off the highway, in areas where there is plenty of room to pull completely off the road. NO chance of meeting up with a snow plow!!! With all parties now on the same page...perhaps this trail will have some staying power!"

Golly, I sure hope somebody figures out how. I mean, heck, the local economy is depending on it.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Golly, I sure hope somebody figures out how. I mean, heck, the local economy is depending on it.

flicking_dirt_up_having_dirt_bike_fun.jpg

Whether they can/should/are able or not will likely not matter - somebody will rent a Hummer and drive over to them anyway - mark my words.

The same way that they drive around the Alien Head despite the cache owner's statements that this should not be done.

I don't think running 50 feet to a cache will cut down on the numbers or the time of getting them all. It will be a blast just to be outdoors and enjoying time with out of state caching friends. Any reason to get away from the computer works for me. ;)

I don't think running 50 feet to a cache will cut down on the numbers or the time of getting them all. It will be a blast just to be outdoors and enjoying time with out of state caching friends. Any reason to get away from the computer works for me. ;)

GET AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER, JORANDA!!!

:lol:

But I have to log my finds for the day and plan me out a Illinois Rt66 powertrail. ;)

Hi all, just to help put hings in perspective... by the time one pulls off the roadway, that 50' distance is greatly reduced. The problem we are trying to overcome were those cachers who were stopping on the roadway so their passengers could jump out and grab the ones that used to be close by. Hopefully 50' off the road is enough encouragement to get vehicles off the road completely and not endanger their lives and those of their passengers. Highway Patrol knows about the caches and are fine with them but vehicles whose tires aren't all to the right side of the white lines will be cited.

Glad to see so much excitement over the return.

The Alien Search Party - The 2nd Invasion! event looks like it will be a huge success and there will be some fun night caching to follow...

The number of Attendees after only one week, along with the number of watchers and page view counts, is making us wonder about the possibility of a Mega. :antenna:

But I have to log my finds for the day and plan me out a Illinois Rt66 powertrail. ;)

Smartphone. Log them all from the field. :lol:

That is hilarious! Don't you just love democracy?! Power to the People...

Hate to be the one to point it out, but it was capitalism, not democracy that won this one.

Power to the businesses, not the people.

Either way though, it looks like a lot of people are indeed happy, so that's what really matters here.

I'm glad you all got your power trail back (or will get it soon, I guess).

If that is the kind of thing you enjoy, then I guess you (and the rest) are getting what you deserve.

Personally, I think I'll sit this one out.

Then again, if a dear friend invited me to do it...

Since you just live a state over from the event, if we do make it there, you can cache with us. There is only three right now and room for one more. ;)

Hi all, just to help put hings in perspective... by the time one pulls off the roadway, that 50' distance is greatly reduced. The problem we are trying to overcome were those cachers who were stopping on the roadway so their passengers could jump out and grab the ones that used to be close by. Hopefully 50' off the road is enough encouragement to get vehicles off the road completely and not endanger their lives and those of their passengers. Highway Patrol knows about the caches and are fine with them but vehicles whose tires aren't all to the right side of the white lines will be cited.

Glad to see so much excitement over the return.

The Alien Search Party - The 2nd Invasion! event looks like it will be a huge success and there will be some fun night caching to follow...

The number of Attendees after only one week, along with the number of watchers and page view counts, is making us wonder about the possibility of a Mega. :antenna:

It should. I'm sure your well aware that the majority of the ones on Route 66 are 50 feet or more from the roadway. Yes, there are some guard rail ones, some at the sign posts and a number along a fence line that runs parallel to I-40. But the majority are well off the road. Does 375 have a berm you have to climb over? If not, piece of cake.

If that is the kind of thing you enjoy, then I guess you (and the rest) are getting what you deserve.

Since you just live a state over from the event, if we do make it there, you can cache with us. There is only three right now and room for one more. ;)

I'm sure I would only slow you down...

I was surprised not to see anything mentioned in the "DNFs and Log / Container Replacement Policy" section of the ET Highway Info Page saying it is acceptable to swap the containers as you go rather than replace them as you found them (what was the phrase that was coined to describe this activity?) It had been mentioned in the forums that it was an accepted practice by the cache owners.

Edited by slukster

OH COME ON! You're way too modest. Who wants to see AZcachemeister join Joranda and team? :P:D:lol:

OH COME ON! You're way too modest. Who wants to see AZcachemeister join Joranda and team? :P:D:lol:

You can come too. ;)

Edit cause something got mixed up. ;)

Edited by joranda

I was surprised not to see anything mentioned in the "DNF’s and Log / Container Replacement Policy" section of the ET Highway Info Page saying it is acceptable to swap the containers as you go rather than replace them as you found them (what was the phrase that was coined to describe this activity?) It had been mentioned in the forums that it was an accepted practice by the cache owners.

Wow, geocachers will actually have to find geocaches? An amazing new concept.

I am glad that I get to go back with my caching friends and do it all over again. :)

Power to the numbers, right on!

Oh yeah, I may hit the 10,000 mark while I am there. That would be cool to save the oldest cache in Nevada for that 10,000th cache since it is in that area.

I was surprised not to see anything mentioned in the "DNF's and Log / Container Replacement Policy" section of the ET Highway Info Page saying it is acceptable to swap the containers as you go rather than replace them as you found them (what was the phrase that was coined to describe this activity?)
Some of us have called it the three cache monte.

Got my vote. Not sure if it's gonna help any though, even if it becomes part of the official rules guidelines. People would still do it, just secretly.

You can come too. ;)

Edit cause something got mixed up. ;)

Only if Bittsen can join us, too.

I am glad that I get to go back with my caching friends and do it all over again. :)

Power to the numbers, right on!

Oh yeah, I may hit the 10,000 mark while I am there. That would be cool to save the oldest cache in Nevada for that 10,000th cache since it is in that area.

What does 10,000 mean when a newbie could reach that in a week by only hitting power trails? Given enough power trails, and enough time, they could be #1 in the world in a year or less.