GPSMAP 62/78 software version 3.0

Looks like were out of beta :) :

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4995

Change History

Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.00:

Updated magnetic Earth field data

Improved GPS performance

Improved support for BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (each provider's imagery can be configured independently)

Increased the maximum number of supported JNX files to 250 from 200

Fixed issues with WAAS/EGNOS

Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list

Fixed issue with track and route review from the map page if you came from the elevation plot

Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing

Fixed issue with gpi files that have alerts attached to the points

Fixed issue with progress bar displaying properly on power up

Fixed issue with track navigation not adding waypoints to the Active Route list when they are exactly equal to a track point

Fixed shutdown when unit had more than the maximum number of JNX files on it

Fixed shutdown related to topographical maps and land cover text size

Fixed Glide Ratio to Destination field

Fixed problem with profiles and the fields on the map page

Fixed an issue with magnetic north reference and waypoint headings

Fixed shutdown on the map screen when a waypoint was being moved to the same location as a geocache or other POIs

Fixed issue where proximity waypoint alerts could only be set in feet regardless of what was selected as a Distance/Speed unit in the setup page

Fixed an issue with archived tracks not displaying properly

Fixed an issue with having too many custom symbols on the device

Modified the 'Arriving at Destination' message banner so that it no longer appears when navigating to a geocache

After sending them a few system.xml files and finally a screenshot of my (and a few other friends who own 62s units) ongoing yet infrequent issue, where the unit would freeze when a screen would slide out to the the right..

We have reproduced it here. Hopefully we can implement a solution soon. Thanks for your report on this.

62 Software Team

This Beta team have been very communicative :antenna:

Edited by Maingray

1 time hang and 1 time crash today. Still not yet perfect.

I'm glad to see they got rid of the proximity screen, although I do like the warning beep. I got a warning at about 40 feet (I'm guessing) at one cache I did today but at 280 feet at another (?). But, all systems are go and my GPS is working fine. Downloading went well. The PQ I had previously downloaded appears to be intact and the "sticky" issue appears to be non-existent.

I've only had the 62st for about a month so my history with this unit is short though I have many years of Garmin experience, back to the 12XL. I went from 2.80 to 3.00 - seems like WAAS/EGNOS is much more erratic with 3.00. While accuracy remains very good, the "D" indicator on the satellite bars come and go, even while standing in the clear. I reloaded 2.80 and tested under the same conditions and the indicators stayed pretty rock solid.

Dave

Further to my trip yesterday, I noted the following issues with the latest 3.0 software.......

1) Geocache proximity alert - great the beep is back and the screen is now clear.... but the proximity alarm seems to go off at random - sometimes at 100ft, other times at 12ft....... frustrating.... I appreciate that it does go off before the cache, but the randomness is an issue. Beeps at waypoints within a route are spot on, so I cannot see it been an issue with the software been 'busy' while navigating.

2) 62s with GB 50k Discoverer maps - While doing a search all poi, first attempt=hour glass constant, 2nd attempt=hour glass for 5secs then the screen just faded and the unit turned off. The strange thing here was the screen fading and not immediate switch off.

Loads of other issues still not fixed...

1) 'unattempted' note still not uploading to GC.com

2) KMZ files - increase 100 limit and make switchable ( I know its a marketing issue on the limit to force Birdseye sales, but switchable would be nice )

3) Prob with chirp clue lost when press Go to navigate

4) Blue route pins not customisable ( ok in basecamp with registry edit )

5) Active route page doesnt show next waypoint unless you scroll down loads of pages after a few miles into a route - the next waypoint marker should be mid screen - I'm no longer interested in waypoints from 5 miles back showing at the top of the screen - I want to see when the next geocache is coming up....

6) Sunset times out, so is sunrise, moonrise and moonset.

7) Battery indicator is useless - all bars drop within last hour.

Beta team informed by email of the 'new' ones and a reminder sent about the old.

2) KMZ files - increase 100 limit and make switchable ( I know its a marketing issue on the limit to force Birdseye sales, but switchable would be nice )

5) Active route page doesnt show next waypoint unless you scroll down loads of pages after a few miles into a route - the next waypoint marker should be mid screen - I'm no longer interested in waypoints from 5 miles back showing at the top of the screen - I want to see when the next geocache is coming up....

Beta team informed by email of the 'new' ones and a reminder sent about the old.

1) gc.com need to add the log type to the site, then I'm sure it would work.

2-7) Agreed and I'll rewrite and add to my emailed "list" ;)

Very happy with this release though... the next beta will fix the erratic crashes I have, I hope.

the proximity alarm seems to go off at random - sometimes at 100ft, other times at 12ft....... frustrating....

That's always been like that, the proximity alert is not based on distance but rather on ETA. Speed while walking is highly variable (esp. from a GPS's POV), thus so is the ETA.

What kind of log type is that supposed to be?

1) gc.com need to add the log type to the site, then I'm sure it would work.

2-7) Agreed and I'll rewrite and add to my emailed "list" ;)

Very happy with this release though... the next beta will fix the erratic crashes I have, I hope.

'Unattempted' on the 62s = 'write note' on gc.com so I agree Garmin and GC.com need to get their heads together on this one. Functionality is there on both but maybe they both need to call it the same thing.

Thanks for the support on the other issues - the more emails they get, the quicker their fix should be. If the points I have raised in my original post matter to you, then please email the beta team - if the issues dont effect or bother you, please do not tell us by replying to this post - just ignore it and carry on. Maybe they have a priority system based on the 'popularity' of the problem...... but if its wrong for even just one person they should fix it......

Edited by janandsteve
the proximity alarm seems to go off at random - sometimes at 100ft, other times at 12ft....... frustrating....

That's always been like that, the proximity alert is not based on distance but rather on ETA. Speed while walking is highly variable (esp. from a GPS's POV), thus so is the ETA.

I take your point re eta and speed, but the alert for a waypoint within a route beeps at a fixed distance - so why doesnt it beep at a fixed distance for a geocache? To be honest I always thought it beeped at approx 50ft before..... or thereabouts....

What kind of log type is that supposed to be?

'Unattempted' is the last option at the bottom from the log attempt screen.

'Unattempted' on the 62s = 'write note' on gc.com

If I am out and want to not declare a find, or a DNF or needs maint, I select this option...... eg Location busy, dont have time to wait and search, cache prob still there, so I just want to write a note for the website - its not really a DNF because I didnt attempt it.

'Unattempted' is the last option at the bottom from the log attempt screen.

'Unattempted' on the 62s = 'write note' on gc.com

If I am out and want to not declare a find, or a DNF or needs maint, I select this option...... eg Location busy, dont have time to wait and search, cache prob still there, so I just want to write a note for the website - its not really a DNF because I didnt attempt it.

Honestly I never understood the "unattempted" field note to equal the "write note" log type on gc.com, I've always understood it as means to revert a cache that was inadvertently marked as found back to unfound state (without using the DNF option, which is different). I'm not sure if it's supposed to be what you think it is. It may be, in which case it's definitely a naming issue.

Used 3.0 on a couple of runs now, including some sky scraper caching with the 62s and City Navigator doing the heavy road navigation for me... very very competent, the early problems I had with map redraw seem to have been fixed, even with the 3d outlined buildings showing up. Not even a single crash, which I am going to GUESS is due to lack of topo maps loaded for the area (Boston, MA). I'm keeping 3.0 on the unit.