Why does my field notes upload as Chinese Characters?

I'm using a new Garmin Oregon 450t. It's a really nice unit and is working well for us. I have one issue that is driving me nuts however. Each time I upload a field note from the unit to GC everything gets converted to Chinese. I have verified the actual text file is indeed English. I do clear the geocache_visits.txt file after each upload. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I am working off a mac computer and I am using the Safari web browser to communicate with GC. Any help in understand and trying to correct this would be great.

Thank you,

5 Blind Squirrels

This seems like an endian issue.

"geocache_vists.txt" file is a UTF-16 file. In other words, instead of an old-school ASCII text file where each character is one byte, a UTF-16 file typically uses 2 bytes (there are some exceptions) to represent each character. That gives a range of 64K characters - plenty to support extended character sets. The first two bytes in the file are read to determine whether the file is a "big" or "little" endian. It appears that somewhere along your chain of events, this value is getting swapped - and then subsequently read incorrectly. So, instead of the number '1' being stored (or read) as character code 0x0031, it's 0x3100 - which is probably a Chinese or Kanji character.

You might want to change up your workflow (use a PC instead of a MAC) to find out what step is messing up the endian-ness of the file.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

- Steve

This seems like an endian issue.

"geocache_vists.txt" file is a UTF-16 file. In other words, instead of an old-school ASCII text file where each character is one byte, a UTF-16 file typically uses 2 bytes (there are some exceptions) to represent each character. That gives a range of 64K characters - plenty to support extended character sets. The first two bytes in the file are read to determine whether the file is a "big" or "little" endian. It appears that somewhere along your chain of events, this value is getting swapped - and then subsequently read incorrectly. So, instead of the number '1' being stored (or read) as character code 0x0031, it's 0x3100 - which is probably a Chinese or Kanji character.

You might want to change up your workflow (use a PC instead of a MAC) to find out what step is messing up the endian-ness of the file.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

- Steve

Hence my request for a file via e-mail rather than simply copy/paste an example in the forum. And I have access to both Mac and Windows for testing.