What do I do with this Geo thing?

jimcc66

Hi, My Grandfather Dad was out on Milford Lake here in Kansas and found this Geo thing. He gave it to my son and he brought it home. We don't do the Geo thing and would like to take it back but my Granddad isn't the sort to put it back. And I don't know where he got it except that it was in a tree or a bush by Milford Lake. Is there anyway we can contact the owner and get this back to where it belongs? If so how do I figure out who or where? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for any help you can give me. You can post here, email me at jimcc66 at gmail or better yet call or text me at (phone number removed by moderator)

Thanks agian, Jim N.

Edited by jimcc66
Not a good idea to list phone numbers in Internet forums

It should be put back where it was. If you can't do that then perhaps sending the cache owner an email letting him know you have it would be the next best thing.

Do you have any idea where he found it? I count about 14 caches along the shore of Milford Lake and another dozen or so nearby. Milford Lake is quite big so if we can narrow down the general area where it was found then we can figure out which cache it is and who the owner is.

Edited by briansnat

Another question, how big is the container? Is it like a film canister or smaller? Is it larger like the size of a loaf or bread or is it somewhere in between?

Here are pictures I took of the item, there is no info on who to contact that I can see anywhere.

1306539349613-1.jpg

1306539463631.jpg

1306539411815.jpg

Edited by jimcc66

Another question, how big is the container? Is it like a film canister or smaller? Is it larger like the size of a loaf or bread or is it somewhere in between?

Here are pictures I took of the item, there is no info on who to contact that I can see anywhere.

1306539349613-1.jpg

1306539463631.jpg

1306539411815.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the papers that was in the box

scan0003.jpg

It should be put back where it was. If you can't do that then perhaps sending the cache owner an email letting him know you have it would be the next best thing.

Do you have any idea where he found it? I count about 14 caches along the shore of Milford Lake and another dozen or so nearby. Milford Lake is quite big so if we can narrow down the general area where it was found then we can figure out which cache it is and who the owner is.

I will call him right now and see if he is willing to take it back. If not which I suppose will be his answer then I will try to find out close to where he found it, and post back here. Thanks, Jim

The guidelines say it should have identification in it or on it,

If there is no ID on it, it is just trash and should be disposed of, Some may find this rather cold but is why ID is needed on or in the cache.

Cold? Yes! The right move? NOT!

If you looked close enough, you probably would've noticed a travel bug. Nice of you to suggest throwing it away.

The gentleman wants to do the right thing... Please allow those that would help, do so.

I dropped an email to the likely owner of the cache.

That would be great! Hope we can get this to whoever it needs to be with. here's a picture of the other paper that was in it. Which led me here. Haven't got dad on the phone yet. I'll try again in a few. Thanks again all for your help

scan0004.jpg

I dropped an email to the likely owner of the cache.

That would be great! Hope we can get this to whoever it needs to be with. here's a picture of the other paper that was in it. Which led me here. Haven't got dad on the phone yet. I'll try again in a few. Thanks again all for your help

scan0004.jpg

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to try to figure out what to do with the cache.

If there is no ID on it, it is just trash and should be disposed of, Some may find this rather cold but is why ID is needed on or in the cache.

It's not cold. It's a very, very, very bad piece of advice.

And it's completely oblivious of reality and common sense.

Look at the log sheet in the photo: "replaced with permission of the owner".

You have no idea of the history of this cache, how it started out, what was originally on the original log sheet, etc, etc, etc.

Please refrain from passing along any more of this type of ill-considered "help" to others.

Any 'codes' on it or in it that start with "GC"?

My girlfriend found this tag in the box. Maybe this is what we need to figure out where it belongs. Called dad he had a general idea that it was south of Milford about a mile and a half sitting by a tree. Said he could get it back to within a hundred yards or so but not sure exactly where it was. Also he thought it was some junk toys that had washed up during high water or he would have let it be.

Image removed by request, sorry didn't know it was a no no. Thanks for all the help tho! <Edit - I also deleted the tag picture from my Photobucket account /Edit>

Jim

Edited by jimcc66

please do show me where there is such a detailed guideline, except for

Label your geocache. To avoid confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label it as a "geocache" on the outside of the container. Transparent containers help to show that the contents are harmless. If the container has any military markings, we recommend covering these permanently or removing them. Include a printed "cache note" inside your geocache explaining what it is and providing a brief description of geocaching.

which this CO clearly did as the guidelines instructs

Edited by t4e

Hi, My Grandfather was out on Milford Lake here in Kansas and found this Geo thing. He gave it to my son and he brought it home. We don't do the Geo thing and would like to take it back but my Granddad isn't the sort to put it back. And I don't know where he got it except that it was in a tree or a bush by Milford Lake. Is there anyway we can contact the owner and get this back to where it belongs? If so how do I figure out who or where? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for any help you can give me. You can post here, email me at jimcc66 at gmail or better yet call or text me at (phone number removed by moderator)

Thanks agian, Jim N.

On the cover, or the first page, of the log book (that little note book) is there a number that starts with GC? Or is there any indication of the geocaching "handle" of the person who placed it?

There is no requirement in the guidelines to have the cache name or GG# inside. In fact I'd venture to say most caches don't have it.

Bad advice to someone who is looking to do the right thing.

Hi, My Grandfather was out on Milford Lake here in Kansas and found this Geo thing. He gave it to my son and he brought it home. We don't do the Geo thing and would like to take it back but my Granddad isn't the sort to put it back. And I don't know where he got it except that it was in a tree or a bush by Milford Lake. Is there anyway we can contact the owner and get this back to where it belongs? If so how do I figure out who or where? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for any help you can give me. You can post here, email me at jimcc66 at gmail or better yet call or text me at (phone number removed by moderator)

Thanks agian, Jim N.

On the cover, or the first page, of the log book (that little note book) is there a number that starts with GC? Or is there any indication of the geocaching "handle" of the person who placed it?

Hi no there is no CG designator that I can see. There is JJTally written on the cover. The first page I posted a picture of here above and the second page has " 4-10-11 Helifrek & wife (Pita)" and a smiley face just after "Pita"

Thanks agian, Jim N.

Hi no there is no CG designator that I can see. There is JJTally written on the cover. The first page I posted a picture of here above and the second page has " 4-10-11 Helifrek & wife (Pita)" and a smiley face just after "Pita"

That's OK we know what cache it is. See posts 7 and 11 (and 20)

Thanks agian, Jim N.

Ah, I see that the current log book is a replacement for the original -- I also see that someone already mentioned that fact.

Well well, everyone has been busy playing detective.

Yes, this is my cache container. I obtained permission from the owner of this cache listing to replace the broken container that was at Prop Check. I am not sure if the high water levels we had in the area got the cache container or not, but none the less, it is safe. I unfortunately moved away from the area three weeks ago, and cannot make it back quickly to make sure it gets replaced. I gave this nice finder some specific instructions on where to place the container, but I might see if a local friend could help out as well. If not, it isn't my cache to decide what to do with it. I will let the owner decide, who is still active, but does not make it up to Milford Lake often. Glad to see my container is still doing well. And such a nice argument over rules! I make sure that all of my cache containers are properly marked, and now I also include a phone number. Thanks to everyone for making sure that the right person was contacted.

Mystery solved

Someone should now deal with the TB tracking number in the photo problem! Remove it or blur it out. Please

Doug 7rxc

Done Doug, again I apologize I/we are not Geo hunters and didn't know I was in error. I thank you all for your help. I have the coordinates, pictures and some guidance from JJTally and we are going to attempt to replace the Geo today. I will let you know if we are successful later this afternoon. Thank you again, Sincerely, Jim Nichols

Someone should now deal with the TB tracking number in the photo problem! Remove it or blur it out. Please

Doug 7rxc

Done Doug, again I apologize I/we are not Geo hunters and didn't know I was in error. I thank you all for your help. I have the coordinates, pictures and some guidance from JJTally and we are going to attempt to replace the Geo today. I will let you know if we are successful later this afternoon. Thank you again, Sincerely, Jim Nichols

Jim,

That is very kind of you.

Doug 7rxc

Jim,

Well thank you Brian and others, you are a friendly bunch !! I wasn't actually too keen on this <sarcasm> "little" </sarcasm> 3 mile hike. But surprisingly my girlfriend was. So we're off on the bikes to go see if we can avoid the ticks and other critters to restore what was, so to speak. I am hoping it will be fun and that we will be successful in our adventures. I'll take a picture or two to post for when we get back if your interested. Thanks again to all and we'll be back soon.... I hope!

Jim

Doug 7rxc

Jim,

Very kind indeed. Where most people would have done nothing but thrown away the container, you actually did a little research. Thank you.

Doug 7rxc

No problem, you would have no way to have know the problems it could cause the TB... And I'm glad you are going to put it back into play... and perhaps accept the invite to play the Geocaching game.. since you are already registered...

One last thing I thought of... before you finish placing it... check to see if the rest of the TB / Traveller is there... I hope you went to the TB page, there was a pic of it there... what it should look like complete TAG, chain and a traveller. Thanks again and have some fun (not ticks).

Doug 7rxc

If you looked close enough, you probably would've noticed a travel bug. Nice of you to suggest throwing it away.

The gentleman wants to do the right thing... Please allow those that would help, do so.

That information was not available to me at the time of posting, I may have had a different response.

I was of the impression there was nothing to ID the cache.

That information was not available to me at the time of posting, I may have had a different response.

I was of the impression there was nothing to ID the cache.

Picture added before you posted...

1306539463631.jpg

Or, maybe, you didn't refresh the page before your reply. I know I've done it occasionally! :laughing: )

Doug 7rxc

Jim,

Well thank you Brian and others, you are a friendly bunch !! I wasn't actually too keen on this <sarcasm> "little" </sarcasm> 3 mile hike. But surprisingly my girlfriend was. So we're off on the bikes to go see if we can avoid the ticks and other critters to restore what was, so to speak. I am hoping it will be fun and that we will be successful in our adventures. I'll take a picture or two to post for when we get back if your interested. Thanks again to all and we'll be back soon.... I hope!

Jim

Hope you make it there and back ;)! If you have any problems getting out there (likely with the elevated water level), let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Hi all, sorry I haven't posted back till now. We didn't make it to the original location of the Geocach. Spent a few hours trying to get it all figured out but in the end we didn't have the energy to continue. (not to mention gps on our cell phones was worthless)So we ended up riding the rest of the day. I guess I'll need a little... or a lot of help. If anyone wants to volunteer that would be great. Please let me know if you can help me get this corrected. You can email me through this website or directly at jimcc66 at gmail. Thanks, Jim

Hi all, sorry I haven't posted back till now. We didn't make it to the original location of the Geocach. Spent a few hours trying to get it all figured out but in the end we didn't have the energy to continue. (not to mention gps on our cell phones was worthless)So we ended up riding the rest of the day. I guess I'll need a little... or a lot of help. If anyone wants to volunteer that would be great. Please let me know if you can help me get this corrected. You can email me through this website or directly at jimcc66 at gmail. Thanks, Jim

That's too bad. You already went above and beyond with your effort. Hopefully someone will see this and could perhaps pick it up from you and return it to its hiding place.

I'm going to move this to the appropriate regional forum where locals are more likely to see it.

I'm coming in late for this fantastic story. Thanks for all you have done, Jimcc66!! I thought it was awesome enough that you took the time to set up an account just so you could start this thread, much less uploading all those photographs and scans, and then hiking out there to try to replace it. Awesome!

loved reading this thread...well done Jim for coming on here and posting and trying more than you needed to to get it back to the orginal place... It reminds me of when i first started geocaching and realised many years ago i came across a geocache and it wasnt until now i worked out what it was, infact i think there was more than one time i have come across a geocache, just thought someone lost their lunch box.

Update. I have handed off the Geo to JBnW. I am sure it is in good hands and will be returned shortly. Thank you all for the help and encouragement. I have learned some about your game and although I'm not sure it is for us it was very interesting. I wish you all the best! Thanks again, Jim N

loved reading this thread...well done Jim for coming on here and posting and trying more than you needed to to get it back to the orginal place... It reminds me of when i first started geocaching and realised many years ago i came across a geocache and it wasnt until now i worked out what it was, infact i think there was more than one time i have come across a geocache, just thought someone lost their lunch box.

Update. I have handed off the Geo to JBnW. I am sure it is in good hands and will be returned shortly. Thank you all for the help and encouragement. I have learned some about your game and although I'm not sure it is for us it was very interesting. I wish you all the best! Thanks again, Jim N

Thank you again for your efforts... hopefully you will continue to play, even if at a more sedate level... There are lots of them along easier walking and biking trails... best is to fit them into your other plans... on the way to or back... I do that for hikes, bikes, drives and IF I had a boat by boat.. Just fit it into your life as a 'extra'.

Doug 7rxc