What Does "This Cacher is Locked" Mean?

Unfortunately, you can't do a search for thread topics that have been locked. (Which is what is probably going to happen to this thread.)

You could do a perusal of the threads in the Earthcaching forums, though.

(Those of you playing along at home... drink.)

*coffee's ready...*

ibtl

Unfortunately, you can't do a search for thread topics that have been locked. (Which is what is probably going to happen to this thread.)

You could do a perusal of the threads in the Earthcaching forums, though.

(Those of you playing along at home... drink.)

*coffee's ready...*

ibtl

Spike it with cream liquor and take a big swallow!

I looked up the Earthcache GC20ETR, Colossal Head 4, which shows that it is archived. The account of cache owner, Cav Scout, is "locked". What does that mean?

Thanks everyone.

Every couple of months somebody posts that question.

According to a post the CO posted on another board, the last time he was 'locked' (wasn't the first time) was for repeatedly deleting valid find logs.

Caches are archived because the CO is unable to provide maintenance with his account being locked.

I looked up the Earthcache GC20ETR, Colossal Head 4, which shows that it is archived. The account of cache owner, Cav Scout, is "locked". What does that mean?

Thanks everyone.

Earthcache forums, page 2:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264924

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264986

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=264985

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=265020

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks everyone.

Every couple of months somebody posts that question.

According to a post the CO posted on another board, the last time he was 'locked' (wasn't the first time) was for repeatedly deleting valid find logs.

Caches are archived because the CO is unable to provide maintenance with his account being locked.

And if you read his account of the matter, he was doing fine 10 months into his year long ban and looking forward to being off the ban. Then one morning Miss Jenn took a look at her todo list and found at the top the task of permanently banning Cav Scout and archiving his caches. I don't think we will ever get to page 4.

And if you read his account of the matter, he was doing fine 10 months into his year long ban and looking forward to being off the ban. Then one morning Miss Jenn took a look at her todo list and found at the top the task of permanently banning Cav Scout and archiving his caches. I don't think we will ever get to page 4.

Why would they suddenly change a year ban into a permanent ban? That doesn't make sense unless he did something else during that time.

Why would they suddenly change a year ban into a permanent ban? That doesn't make sense unless he did something else during that time.

That's what everybody has been wondering and it never has been answered. All related threads have been locked, and this one will probablty get locked also.

That's what everybody has been wondering and it never has been answered.

His statements elsewhere indicated that when he was reinstated he would go back to the same behavior as before (regarding the deletion of found records).

I would imagine that with him choosing not to change and Groundspeak not changing their rules to accommodate him it was best just to stop the cycle for good.

Correct.

That's what everybody has been wondering and it never has been answered. All related threads have been locked, and this one will probablty get locked also.

If I had been locked I certainly wouldn't want a Lackey discussing the details with the general forum. It's a matter of good policy. I wouldn't hold my breath for the telling of the whole story and frankly I'm willing to give Groundspeak the benefit of the doubt on this one.

He got a bum deal if you ask me. Everyone thinks they know the story but they haven't gotten a clue. Moral of the story is that you are not allowed to maintain your caches the way that you set them up. ;)

What do you mean by that?

No answer, no picture, no log.

He got a bum deal if you ask me. Everyone thinks they know the story but they haven't gotten a clue. Moral of the story is that you are not allowed to maintain your caches the way that you set them up. ;)

Oh, come on!! I double-dog dare ya! :lol:

Um, I think that WAS his answer, chad-knower.

Um, I think that WAS his answer, chad-knower.

Yeah, but pretty durned vague. Don'tcha just lava threads lika this?

You are his brother, right? Can you say what happened to get him permanently banned?

You are his brother, right? Can you say what happened to get him permanently banned?

Long story short, He got in trouble for maintaining his ECs the way he thought they should be maintained. He was against armchair logging and when he thought it was a armchair logger, he would delete the log since they either didn't post a picture of them at the EC site or send the right answers.

That was the start of it, it just ballooned from there.

Edited by joranda
Long story short, He got in trouble for maintaining his ECs the way he thought they should be maintained. He was against armchair logging and when he thought it was a armchair logger, he would delete the log since they either didn't post a picture of them at the EC site or send the right answers.

I'm curious, what is/was his understanding of the "right answers"? Factually correct answers?

I'm curious, what is/was his understanding of the "right answers"? Factually correct answers?

Well I am sure that is what he meant by right answers. Answers that was for the ECs.

Was it really THAT simple? I have 2 Earthcaches, and for some reason, 1 of them is regularly logged by lets just say "the clueless among us". There are obviously picture and answer requirements. I've deleted 3 logs over the years, but those 3 people all went completely bonkers, and I tend to just let it go lately.

Well, he ain't no Seal, but I wouldn't mess wit a Cav Scout. :D

Can pictures still be required for EC's, or not? I had some friends that visited an EC in Jamaica (I think it was) and the cache owner insisted on a picture. They didn't have one. Their log was deleted several times. Groundspeak was brought in, and I don't think that even ended it right there. They ended up by posting a picture that some friends that were with them had taken (a duplicate of what the friends had posted with their log), just to settle the matter. It was so bad that my friends have sworn off Earth Caches ever since.

I

Can pictures still be required for EC's, or not? I had some friends that visited an EC in Jamaica (I think it was) and the cache owner insisted on a picture. They didn't have one. Their log was deleted several times. Groundspeak was brought in, and I don't think that even ended it right there. They ended up by posting a picture that some friends that were with them had taken (a duplicate of what the friends had posted with their log), just to settle the matter. It was so bad that my friends have sworn off Earth Caches ever since.

I

You haven't been able to require a picture of a person or something like a GPS unit at a site for a while now. However, in some circumstances you are able to require a picture of something at the site. It's get convoluted really fast.

Which is the crux of this issue anyhow.

And since I know this will devolve rather quickly now... ibtl.

I

You haven't been able to require a picture of a person or something like a GPS unit at a site for a while now. However, in some circumstances you are able to require a picture of something at the site. It's get convoluted really fast.

Which is the crux of this issue anyhow.

And since I know this will devolve rather quickly now... ibtl.

IBTL also. :ph34r: But look at what I bolded above. What do you mean by "at a site"? We're talking about Earthcaches here. Whole 'nuther ballgame, not even reviewed or approved by Groundspeak. I would like to know this answer myself, specifically in the case of EC's. Unless that's what CokeCherry meant.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

You cannot require a picture of the cacher at the site to log an earthcache. The required learning activity should be designed to be both educationally meaningful and site specific. As I understand it, you can require photos that are a meaningful part of the educational activity- for example a picture of an example of a fossil. I also believe that you cannot require that the photo include that the cacher be identifiable in the picture in any case.