Search for caches by difficulty

Green Toad

As a new geocacher I think it would be nice to be able to search for caches based of their difficulty. It would be nice to hit the easy caches first to get the hang of things. This would definitely help when planning a day a caching, if I only pull up the easier caches rather than search through numerous difficult caches to find the needles in the haystack.

-stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

Stroh, here are some tips to help you:

1. I see you are already a supporting member of the site... good for you! As a member you can obtain pocket queries. Why not order a query (in GPX format) showing all caches within 50 miles of your home coordinates which are rated 2/2 or lower? That will weed out most of the evil Leprechaun caches. Access the pocket query generator from your profile page and look for the section that filters by difficulty when you construct your query. icon_biggrin.gif

2. The reason I said GPX format, assuming you get a PQ with ALL the area caches, is that you can use ClayJar's Watcher software to sort and filter the cache list any way you want. You can, for example, sort the list by ascending order of difficulty, and filter the list of caches to exclude all multicaches, all micro caches, etc. GPX format also gives you the complete text of the cache page plus the last five logs... everything you need except for maps. It is much, much easier to plan a cache hunt this way.

3. If you are having trouble with a particular cache, write to the owner. Most of us are glad to help a newbie with a hint to get you in the right direction, or even to suggest cache hunts that you might find to be a bit easier.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Thanks for the response. I took your advice and created one. Hopefully, soon I will have the skills to complete a Lep cache in record time!

PS: just a personal Q, as an attorney (I'm currently an unemployed peer) how do have the time to geocache as much as you do AND have 1300+ posts on this site?

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif