Missing Soldier

ShadowAce

Hello,

My name is Dirk and we cache by the name ShadowAce. We live in Tucson Arizona and my cousin's son is stationed at Dugway Utah. I am looking for any cachers in the western Utah area.

" Spc. Joseph Bushling, 26, left English Village to drive around the desert in his black 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Saturday night, May 7th, 2011. On Sunday, May 8, 2011, at about 7 p.m., he contacted a friend at Dugway stating that he had run out of gas and was going to walk back to the test area, according to a press release from Dugway Proving Ground. No contact with him has been made since that phone call. His last known location was west of Granite Mountain, which is about 35 miles west of Dugway’s main gate.

On His CAR WAS FOUND AT Lat 39.98649 Long 113.20004"

N 39 59.189, W 113 12.002 for us Geocachers.

I am hoping this is not an improper use of Groundspeak, but I am asking cachers who own a cache in the area if they may have seen something, anything, that might be useful to the search.

A forum/page is also being used on Facebook to help get information out and I ask you to please, if you are willing, share this with all the local cachers who might be in the area. Joseph Bushling

Thank you in advance.

Dirk Harris / ShadowAce

Dirk Harris / ShadowAce

Just giving this a bump to keep it on the top page...

I see that there is yet another search planned for this weekend.

Hope they have some luck.

Dirk if you see this, I sent you a email via profile back when you posted this... not sure if you got it!

It was re the closest cache... the owner changed names, it was on the cache page.

Doug 7rxc

There is no one out there.... quite literally.

There is no fence for the military range but it is not a place to go with unexploded ordinance around, and they did chemical testing as well. Areas have been blocked off for decades.... all with no fence.

If there was a breakdown he would have headed back across the desert for the base. If he made it out of the mountains. I have taken scouts out to the geode beds (there are a few caches) south of there. All in all it is hot, and rough country. Salt/Sandstorms kick up in the flats.

He is not the only one, a number have turned up missing out there. In the last search for someone another body was found.

As it is, I dont go out there in the summer, the closest cachers are an hour and a half away (mostly because no one lives out there).

I agree fully. People go out into the wilderness and never give a thought to telling anyone where they are going (a trip plan).

They don't go prepared for anything other than a nice pleasant trip in the countryside (survival kit, and supplies). They seldom seem to do any pre-planning at all, or checking the weather. Makes life interesting for us SAR types who have to go pick them out.

Our area is much more 'civilized' than that area. Climate is better too I'd guess. We still do training sweeps looking for traces of a chap that vanished 20 plus years ago, still no sign of anything on him. Someday someone hiking or hunting will find a relic or bones. I just wish them well, if only for their own sakes, on this weekends hunt. I imagine it's getting warm out there. Having plotted the given locations for the items found on GE and looked at the area, I mentioned a few spots I'd look at (not the direct line) but back up towards the 'main' road from the found vehicle coordinates. Tempting to cut cross country to shorten that distance. But beyond that and pointing out the closest cache owners change of cacher name. That's about my limit. Other than praying for an answer.

Doug 7rxc

I think part of the story references Joseph:

From 8newsnow story:

[

To the east, Utah authorities are looking for a young man who disappeared in May along I-80 near Dugway. To the west, an elderly hitchhiker vanished in April in California's Humboldt County. Is it possible that the trucker who was traveling with Carnes is a killer -- even a serial killer -- maybe a husband and wife team who somehow gained Carnes' trust along the road?

]