Looking for a field gpx reader

I have discontinued using my Palm pilot because the battery seems to be dead whenever I need it, and the recharging connector seems to be getting funky.

I have an Etrex Vista HCX and use a GSAK macro to load the first 80 characters of the cache data into the gps expansion card. Problem is, when the name or hint gets too long it gets truncated.

1. Is there a way to load data into the entire information screen?

2 If the answer to 1 is no, is there a rugged, fieldable device and software that will read and display the entire gpx file in a hand held device? I'm thinking an ipod (not an iphone).

Now a days you can get paperless data to display on anything like a PDA, iPod, Amazon Kindle, Nintendo DS, etc... If you have a device that displays data laying around there is a good chance someone has found a way for it to display paperless data.

Since you asked about an iPod I assume you mean the older iPod classic types models. There are a few ways to do this. On the Mac I use MacCaching to get the paperless data on my iPod classic. On Windows you can use Cache Magnet. Both software do essentially the same thing which is put the paperless data in the Notes section so you can see name, coordinates, description, hints, and previous logs. To see what it looks like do a youtube search for "CacheMagnet iPod." It is actually a pretty slick way to get paperless data in a pinch without spending any extra money.

None on an SD card. But you plug the unit into your PC and drag and drop the GPX files into the GPX folder on the unit. For under $200 you can get a Dakota 10.

Even my Colorado 400t can read GPX files from the SD card...and that's the oldest paperless handheld GPS from Garmin. :blink:

None on an SD card. But you plug the unit into your PC and drag and drop the GPX files into the GPX folder on the unit. For under $200 you can get a Dakota 10.

I would disagree and did an experiment a couple of weeks ago to confirm. Place the GPX file under /Garmin/GPX on your SD card and it gets read in.

Just like for maps the Garmin checks both.

One of the reasons I bought the XOOM is that someday it will activate the sd card slot and I can go to the froggie's site, run and download PQ's then load them to the sdcard and move it to the Garmin and all is well.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Can a Sony eReader work? I am struggling to get and old palm m500 to work as I have never used a palm. I have an Sony eReader but not sure how pocket queries would work in it.

Thanks

Now a days you can get paperless data to display on anything like a PDA, iPod, Amazon Kindle, Nintendo DS, etc... If you have a device that displays data laying around there is a good chance someone has found a way for it to display paperless data.

Since you asked about an iPod I assume you mean the older iPod classic types models. There are a few ways to do this. On the Mac I use MacCaching to get the paperless data on my iPod classic. On Windows you can use Cache Magnet. Both software do essentially the same thing which is put the paperless data in the Notes section so you can see name, coordinates, description, hints, and previous logs. To see what it looks like do a youtube search for "CacheMagnet iPod." It is actually a pretty slick way to get paperless data in a pinch without spending any extra money.

I have discontinued using my Palm pilot because the battery seems to be dead whenever I need it, and the recharging connector seems to be getting funky.

I have an Etrex Vista HCX and use a GSAK macro to load the first 80 characters of the cache data into the gps expansion card. Problem is, when the name or hint gets too long it gets truncated.

1. Is there a way to load data into the entire information screen?

2 If the answer to 1 is no, is there a rugged, fieldable device and software that will read and display the entire gpx file in a hand held device? I'm thinking an ipod (not an iphone).

I bought a Palm battery on ebay for under $10. Also, I use GPXSpinner to convert the GPX to a web page for my Palm. I convert the web page to an iSilo doc. If you too use GPXSpinner maybe just the web page can be loaded to a tablet or smart phone or iPod for viewing.

Is there a rugged, fieldable device and software that will read and display the entire gpx file in a hand held device? I'm thinking an ipod (not an iphone).

Geosphere on the ipod touch. Beautiful display. Great filtering.

The iPod touch (or old iPhone that has been deactivated) is a really great device for paperless use. I hope the new one has a GPS in it, then it will really become the ultimate GPS/paperless unit.