Geocaching with iPhone

Got the iPhone last week, first app I got was the Geocaching one... didn't get to use it till today and it took me to within 1 foot of it! It was a quick one on the way home from a meeting and sorta a spur of the moment thing. It doesn't got all the fancy topo maps of my 60CSx and all the bells and whistles of my Magellan GC, but I was greatly impressed with the accuracy. I wondered around in the woods a little because I forgot I was the blue pulsing ball instead of the green flag (lol) but it took me directly to cache dead on! very impressed with app, however, haven't been impressed with batterylife of the iphone over all (however, it is still new to me and I play with it constantly). I wouldn't rely on it for an all day caching run due to that issue and would really recommend a car charger if you are going to attempt it, but so far I am very impressed with it and the features of papers with up to date real time logs is really cool. I logged my smilely right from the phone and it did great!

I am not familiar with the iPhone version of Groundspeak's Geocaching app, but I am familiar with the Android version. A lot of the functionality will work just fine without premium membership. The Pocket Query features do require premium membership though, because Pocket Queries require premium membership.

I ended up buying it. I went out and found a few. It brought me within two feet of the first find. It works great! It does all that I need without the premium membership.

Your group shows you as a premium member but yet you are a member. How?

EDIT: eididited for shpeling

Edited by sword fern

I ended up buying it. I went out and found a few. It brought me within two feet of the first find. It works great! It does all that I need without the premium membership.

Your group shows you as a premium member but yet you are a member. How?

EDIT: eididited for shpeling

I think it will change after they get to 10 posts.

iPhone app is great , premium membership gets you pocket queries which is nice when you have no cell service. I use both now iPhone and older GPS that I manually put co-ords in. The gps and iPhone are both I'm synch with eachother on regards to local. IPhone is great for logging finds and taking photos.

It's fine, 'needs maint' :P

I have an iPhone 4.

The app leaks memory very badly, esp when quickly finding and trying to log caches. Becomes very slow after running for a while. I see my memory drop from around 113mb to sometimes 13mb. (My iPhone is jailbroken and I can see the memory usage). Also drains the battery quickly (which may be related to the memory leaks).

Running Navigon the battery will last for about 3-4 hours. With the Geocaching app, maybe 2 hours tops.

I am very impressed at it's accuracy though! Even in some mildly wooded areas. Works great!!

I do wish the map & search results were live updating and that cords could be tied to turn-by-turn software.

Definitely a battery drainer, but the app works great most of the time. I'll probably invest in a better handlheld GPS for navigation purposes at some point, but finding caches to look for and logging them is still awesome with the iPhone so far.

What they said :)