Who has had their cache hide ruined by pjmpjm?

Hammerman.

Lke the title of this topic I'd like to put a list together of cache hiders who have had their cache hide ruined or blatantly revealed by pjmpjm? Either is his logs or his photos.

Please understand, I'm NOT coming from an "blame and retribution" angle, I understand it may be and probably is an innocent oversight on pjmpjm's part, however some of the photo's and logs do tend to reveal too much regardless of the intent.

Edited by extremepc

It may help others understand the issue if more details are given. What cache are we talking about.

Looks like it is this one.

It's unfortunate for it to happen this way, but if a cache seeker is confronted by people working at GZ, they have to deal with it the best they can. Don't see what else he could have done.

I don't understand what pjmpjm has done that is wrong. The cache was placed without permission (you mentioned this in your archive log) and security asked no one to be there. If the area becomes a library or community hall in the future then you should consider replacing it - although I'd ask permission so that the staff don't get spooky by crazy geocachers lurking around.

Overall, I think pjmpjm has done the geocaching community a service in alerting us not to go there in case we get into further trouble. I've never had any problems with pjmpjm and have found him to be a responsible and decent geocacher.

I would have done the same thing in this set of circumstances.

It may help others understand the issue if more details are given. What cache are we talking about.

Looks like it is this one.

It's unfortunate for it to happen this way, but if a cache seeker is confronted by people working at GZ, they have to deal with it the best they can. Don't see what else he could have done.

No, I completely understand why The Ponds needed to be archived.

I don't understand what pjmpjm has done that is wrong. The cache was placed without permission (you mentioned this in your archive log) and security asked no one to be there. If the area becomes a library or community hall in the future then you should consider replacing it - although I'd ask permission so that the staff don't get spooky by crazy geocachers lurking around.

Overall, I think pjmpjm has done the geocaching community a service in alerting us not to go there in case we get into further trouble. I've never had any problems with pjmpjm and have found him to be a responsible and decent geocacher.

I would have done the same thing in this set of circumstances.

I have no problem with The Ponds cache being archived.

What I mean is pictures of cache hides or logs that give away too much info either about the location or the cache itself.

To use some of my cache hides as an example;

Saltus Venari - The photo shows the actual cache siting in situ framed in the middle of the photo.

Where Windsors Meet - Picture of cache with background that can only be framed while standing right on cache hiding spot.

Shelter From the Storm - Picture of the log, with the "tools" used to retrieve it, one "tool" actually bears the name of the concelment method. (now cropped out, Thanks pjmpjm!)

Too many cache hides to mention where the photo is pointing directly at the where the cache is hidden.

Thats the kind of "reveal" I'm taking about.

Edited by extremepc

What I mean is pictures of cache hides or logs that give away too much info either about the location or the cache itself.

Saltus Venari - The photo shows the actual cache siting in situ framed in the middle of the photo.

Where Windsors Meet - Picture of cache with background that can only be framed while standing right on cache hiding spot.

Shelter From the Storm - Picture of the log, with the "tools" used to retrieve it, one "tool" actually bears the name of the concelment method. (now cropped out, Thanks pjmpjm!)

Too many cache hides to mention where the photo is pointing directly at the where the cache is hidden.

'too much info' is very subjective and depends on the cache and the importance to the cache owner of keeping the 'purity' of its hide intact. I've had lots of cachers logs give away bits of info I wouldn't have in the description or hint (not by pjmpjm) but I don't mind if finders resort to the logs in the end... I must admit there are times when I am writing logs where I think "am I saying too much?" just by describing the adventure - and it's a fine line between describing your journey and giving it away sometimes. It's fair that we might disagree on what is 'too much' as a result.

And if someone did say too much then I'd be encrypting or deleting (depending on the severity) immediately and contacting them to ask them nicely to edit it accordingly. It sounds like pjmpjm is happy to edit/crop from your previous post.

Yes, a lot of hides have a photo pointing directly at where the cache is hidden - but I've found that in most cases that really doesn't narrow it down much more than a good GPSr does.

And while you have said that this isn't about blame and retribution, the thread title makes it hard to see otherwise - It sounds pretty vindictive when I don't see anything malicious in his logs or actions - Just perhaps a misunderstanding....

Edited by Happy Chappies

Did you think about e-mailing and nicely ask them to change their log notes to not reveal the location?

That's all you can do and if it doesn't get changed, so be it. Crap happens and you get over it.

You archived the listing ... time to move on.

I know pjmpjm sometimes reveals micro containers. Despite that he is a genuinely nice guy. If you met him you could ask him to take off his photos. As a cache owner I think it is your responsibility to tell him not to photograph it. At WHERE's THE KABOOM!!! We met him. The first stage had great camo so he concealed the container. I think we should really stop dissing him and get back to caching.