Waaaahhhhh! Don't know if I want to Scream or Cry!

Houlagans

I'm about ready to throw a tantrum like a two year old. I spent all winter working on local puzzles and putting my solved coordinates in the personal cache note area on the cache page. Thought it was a great idea and passed it along to friends as well.

Spring has finally sprung and I decided to put a bunch of solved puzzles into the GPS......

Gone!!!! All Gone!!!!! All my notes and coordinates!!!!!!!

Back to square one I guess....sigh.

Thanks for letting me vent. :(

Sarah - a sad Houlagan.

I'm about ready to throw a tantrum like a two year old. I spent all winter working on local puzzles and putting my solved coordinates in the personal cache note area on the cache page. Thought it was a great idea and passed it along to friends as well.

Spring has finally sprung and I decided to put a bunch of solved puzzles into the GPS......

Gone!!!! All Gone!!!!! All my notes and coordinates!!!!!!!

Back to square one I guess....sigh.

Thanks for letting me vent. :(

Sarah - a sad Houlagan.

Don't be so sad...After all, its just a geocache!

I do put solved puzzle info in the personal notes and I've never lost them yet, but for backup I also keep a bookmark list for solved puzzles and in the comments area I place the resolved coordinates and any other info I need.

The rest of my puzzle process is that I exclude puzzles from my regular PQs so I don't pick up as yet unsolved puzzles, but I do a PQ from my solved puzzles bookmark list to get them into GSAK. I then use the GSAK corrected coordinates feature to record the final coords, usually from the personal notes on the cache page.

I wouldn't be to hasty to write them off... Seem to recall reading a post somewhere on the Forums complaining of something similar.

The response to that one, as I recall, was something about the Field Note access being hidden by some other text, or something like that... and only on some browsers. It was part of the graphic mix up recently created and might be fixed, or was and came back inadvertently. I think they mentioned an alternate method of accessing those notes from a menu or direct addressing a page.

I will look for that as I browse... it may be the ticket for you, or help.

Edit: I found one spot... it pointed out that the Field Notes are on the Your Profile Tab.

I don't have any listed so I don't know what it was like before the change... but that was where I went to and get a note about 'non found'. Working on how to get some in there by other means than download... don't see any direct entry, but now have a method to create a file by other means.

Anyway, I hope the info helps. I'll keep watching.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I wouldn't be to hasty to write them off... Seem to recall reading a post somewhere on the Forums complaining of something similar.

The response to that one, as I recall, was something about the Field Note access being hidden by some other text, or something like that... and only on some browsers. It was part of the graphic mix up recently created and might be fixed, or was and came back inadvertently. I think they mentioned an alternate method of accessing those notes from a menu or direct addressing a page.

I will look for that as I browse... it may be the ticket for you, or help.

Edit: I found one spot... it pointed out that the Field Notes are on the Your Profile Tab.

I don't have any listed so I don't know what it was like before the change... but that was where I went to and get a note about 'non found'. Working on how to get some in there by other means than download... don't see any direct entry, but now have a method to create a file by other means.

Anyway, I hope the info helps. I'll keep watching.

Doug 7rxc

you mixing apples and oranges "field notes" and "Personal Cache Note" are different things

my bet is that the may 4 upgrade messed up the "Personal Cache Note"

i would contact GC

Edited by t4e

you mixing apples and oranges "field notes" and "Personal Cache Note" are different things

i would contact GC

Thanks for the clarification... although I've never seen any indication of "Personal Cache Notes" at all, and very little about field notes, but I was aware of them, limited to certain GPSrs. I guess this is in the realm of PM perks, which I'm not. IF I'm wrong about that, can you tell me where one would find PCN's please... I've never seen them... I just use Excel and Word to keep records... I've played with GSAK, but I'm not a high volume cacher so far.

Doug 7rxc

are your personal notes still there on the cache page itself?

I also keep all my puzzle solutions in that space, so I just rushed to check mine in a bit of a panic :) but mine are all fine.

Were you expecting the “solved” coordinates to transfer to your actual GPS, though? Because they won’t. The contents of that personal note box do not transfer to your GPS .

What you need to do is either manually change them on the GPS or change them in a 3rd party database like GSAK .

I’m hoping for your sake that the notes are still stored against the individual cache pages on the website at least, so that you won’t have to re-do all the puzzles!

i would contact GC

Thanks for the clarification... although I've never seen any indication of "Personal Cache Notes" at all, and very little about field notes, but I was aware of them, limited to certain GPSrs. I guess this is in the realm of PM perks, which I'm not. IF I'm wrong about that, can you tell me where one would find PCN's please... I've never seen them... I just use Excel and Word to keep records... I've played with GSAK, but I'm not a high volume cacher so far.

Doug 7rxc

I do believe the OP is talking about the cache notes section that is found on each cache page.

I've played around a wee bit with them, but I wouldn't trust notes input to a cache's page to be saveable. Upgrades, glitches, etc...you never know what could happen.

I also don't think the OP was talking about uploading the cache notes to her gps. I understand the situation to be that puzzles were solved, final coordinates were stored in the cache note box, and assumed to have been saved for future reference / retrieval. When the OP went back to retrieve the coords, the cache note box was empty.

That would tick me off, too.

Never trust another website to save / store your data is the lesson here. Always keep important notes and such on your own computer, or indeed...write it down in a notebook.

I've played around a wee bit with them, but I wouldn't trust notes input to a cache's page to be saveable. Upgrades, glitches, etc...you never know what could happen.

Generally I agree, but GS has been able to retain all other data so far, cache pages, logs, profiles, etc. Everything survived over the many years, so why not the personal cache notes? It shouldn't be any different and can well be expected to stick around.

I do believe the OP is talking about the cache notes section that is found on each cache page.

I got that part, thanks... what I wanted to know is where on the page, since I've never seen it... Thus I've concluded it was a PMO privilege. I'm still a basic member. All the people that seem to have it to use are PMs.

Soon I hope to manage to control the bills enough to upgrade... of course then transportation will be the problem... guess I better find more discarded beer cans/bottles. At least todays snowfall is melting away in the rainshowers..

Doug 7rxc

I got that part, thanks... what I wanted to know is where on the page, since I've never seen it... Thus I've concluded it was a PMO privilege. I'm still a basic member. All the people that seem to have it to use are PMs.

Soon I hope to manage to control the bills enough to upgrade... of course then transportation will be the problem... guess I better find more discarded beer cans/bottles. At least todays snowfall is melting away in the rainshowers..

Doug 7rxc

i guess it is a PM feature

Untitlednote.jpg

Doug 7rxc

I second Doug's question. I was a Premium Member for a number of years but have let it lapse. I've never seen any menu item or link for Personal Notes on a cache page. Nor is there any mention of them in the Knowledge Books or Premium Member Benefits. Where's they hidden? blink.gif

Edit: Never mind. t4e just answered while I was fiddling with my post. rolleyes.gif

Edited by moop

i guess it is a PM feature

(img removed)

Thanks for the screen shot... I guess that says it all for now. Still hope the OP manages to get their data back eventually.

I'll settle for not having missed it, since it wasn't there for me to find... and anyone who has played WIC quiz should know I can find things based on photos/ pics most of the time. I've been taking some rest time from that to let others do some finding... the latest one I got the first night, don't know where the other players are, probably caching for real.

Doug 7rxc

Doug 7rxc

I second Doug's question. I was a Premium Member for a number of years but have let it lapse. I've never seen any menu item or link for Personal Notes on a cache page. Nor is there any mention of them in the Knowledge Books or Premium Member Benefits. Where's they hidden? blink.gif

Edit: Never mind. t4e just answered while I was fiddling with my post. rolleyes.gif

Interesting. I didn't realize that Personal Cache Notes are a PM feature. The Favorite vote is my "favourite" new PM feature but Personal Cache Notes are the runner up. I like to put spoilers in there - exactly how the cache is hidden, what it looked like, stuff I wouldn't put in the online log. Plus I use it for the solutions (actual coords) to puzzles. I would be hugely disappointed if they disappeared. I checked my list and the notes are there. :) I use Firefox.

Never trust another website to save / store your data is the lesson here. Always keep important notes and such on your own computer, or indeed...write it down in a notebook.

I live by the rule of "Data doesn't actually exist unless it lives in at least three places."

My solved puzzles are tracked in GSAK on my laptop. The laptop gets backed up to the NAS in my house and offsite to the internet.

I have used the Personal Notes section a couple of times, but I honestly can't remember on which caches now or for what purpose. :blink: Must be getting old...

Thanks everyone for your input. I used to have an excel spreadsheet with every puzzle cache with coords, notes and all the goodies, but lost my hard drive. Haven't had the time to rebuild so was using the notes...have no back up for them. As I didn't notice when they went missing, I can't give Groundspeak any idea of when they went missing. I'm still really sore about it, and that is why I hadn't been back yet. 27 days until I leave on my first trip of the summer...some of the puzzles I had solved are eluding me now...all the pressure has my mind blocking the bits I need to remember. Oh well, it really is just a geocache....Q@#$%^$ @#$%$%^&$ &%$%^@@$%#

Sarah - not as sad of a Houlagan.