New Oregon 450T

So far, I love the new unit, as I knew I would. I used it today to find about 5 caches and am starting to learn how everything works. With my old unit (OLD Garmin Etrex), I would type the coordinates in my car's gps which would take me to the closest street or parking area where I could then begin my search with the GPSr.

Basically, I'm curious what you guys have done to make the navigation simpler on this GPS. Sure, I can still use my car GPS, but when the GPS shows the closest geocache is .4 miles way and all it shows is a magenta line, that is a lot of guesswork as to where exactly the cache is located. Is it this parking lot or across that road, etc? What's the best way to navigate to the cache?

I'm curious how you guys use your Oregon? Did you install any extra maps? (I already have the topographic maps) What about the new Birdseye option for satellite images? Will installing any extra maps over-ride the topo maps installed?

Thanks!!!

So far, I love the new unit, as I knew I would. I used it today to find about 5 caches and am starting to learn how everything works. With my old unit (OLD Garmin Etrex), I would type the coordinates in my car's gps which would take me to the closest street or parking area where I could then begin my search with the GPSr.

Basically, I'm curious what you guys have done to make the navigation simpler on this GPS. Sure, I can still use my car GPS, but when the GPS shows the closest geocache is .4 miles way and all it shows is a magenta line, that is a lot of guesswork as to where exactly the cache is located. Is it this parking lot or across that road, etc? What's the best way to navigate to the cache?

I'm curious how you guys use your Oregon? Did you install any extra maps? (I already have the topographic maps) What about the new Birdseye option for satellite images? Will installing any extra maps over-ride the topo maps installed?

Thanks!!!

$$$ - Garmin City Navigator

FREE - http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Sometimes, you get what you pay for. The FREE maps don't have POIs and you can't route to a Street Address. However, being FREE you can give them a try and see if you like them before spending $$$ for the Garmin City Navigator maps.

I have both...typically I use City Navigator.

Doesn't always get you to the best location to approach a cache...there's just no way of knowing where the building, fences and private property are. When navigating to a cache, auto route driving directions will typically get you nearest point to the cache along a road. Sometimes that works great...often it doesn't. I mostly use auto route to travel a long distance to an area I will cache in...once I'm there I do things by visually looking at my GPS maps and observing my surroundings.

Thanks!!!

Which topos? I use free topos from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ - these are MUCH more detailed than the Garmin 100k topos (although the roads in that mapset are low-quality, and they have no DEM data for relief shading)

I sometimes also load aerial imagery, people figured out how to create their own JNX (BirdsEye) files and get the unit to load them - however it's a fairly technical process.