"Large" 5/5 Hide

You could take a bucket, thouroughly cammo it and hide it at the top of a tree. Then make it a puzzle that gets you to the general area and say "It's in a tree within 200 feet. A 400 foot circle to search for well cammod bucket in a random tree seems pretty hard to me. Although your local cachers will bash you for it at events.

You could take a bucket, thouroughly cammo it and hide it at the top of a tree. Then make it a puzzle that gets you to the general area and say "It's in a tree within 200 feet. A 400 foot circle to search for well cammod bucket in a random tree seems pretty hard to me. Although your local cachers will bash you for it at events.

Or when the weather changes, it'll stand out like a sore thumb.

What would a nano on the Titanic rate as? :ph34r:

Titanic is massive. Pretty sure the coords would zoom on in the right place. My idea of a nano on the titanic, would be a nano magnetically attached to The part of the boat right where the iceberg hit it. Imagine you were reaching down over the deck to get the nano, when all of a sudden you feel this huge piece of ice hit you and capsize the boat. :ph34r:

Titanic is massive. Pretty sure the coords would zoom on in the right place. My idea of a nano on the titanic, would be a nano magnetically attached to The part of the boat right where the iceberg hit it. Imagine you were reaching down over the deck to get the nano, when all of a sudden you feel this huge piece of ice hit you and capsize the boat. :ph34r:

Your GPS won't work that far down (if underwater at all), so you're probably going to have to search the entire ship for that nano. :huh:

This is an issue that the t/d scales don't cover, and we have to accept! Here is another example of its shortcomings (that i feel is ok, since we are mainly geocaching not climbing, diving or rafting)

In climbing we have grades, like whitewater kayaking/rafting has grades, and ski-slopes have grades. A cache plased on top of a grade 8 climbing route or if its placed on top of a grade 4 climbing route (or on the international space-station) it needs SPECIAL EQUIPMENT so, its a D5 (ref. guidelines) if i need to seek for a logshaped nano stashed in a hole in the wallaaa at the top or if have a sign saying "cache is here" in my face is what makes one a T1 and the other a T5

Here is you T5 nano btw. find somewhere to climb for it an put an magnetic nano on an anchor at the top.. -> would still probably be a D1 thou since it would be easy to spot)

Your GPS won't work that far down (if underwater at all), so you're probably going to have to search the entire ship for that nano. :huh:

Which side are you talking about> Before or after the titanic sunk? I Was talking before the titanic sunk. (hint hint- "iceberg") :huh:

Which side are you talking about> Before or after the titanic sunk? I Was talking before the titanic sunk. (hint hint- "iceberg") :huh:

Would have been pretty tough to geocache before it was sunk. Their GPSrs were pretty crude back then.

Would have been pretty tough to geocache before it was sunk. Their GPSrs were pretty crude back then.

You mean something like this?

gps2000.jpg

Edited by sword fern

And to get this back on topic: See if you can hollow out a huge stump, and then make a lid. YOu will have to lift up the lid to get to the cache. that would make it at least a 4 in difficulty. For a 5 terrain, not sure how it can be acheived. Perhaps you can do the impossible. :D

You mean something like this?

gps2000.jpg

No. Something more like this:

sextplath1.jpg

It handles latitude fairly well, longitude not so much...

Edit to get picture right.

Edited by The Jester

If the "5 acres of woods" has a tree with branches large (and high) enough to support an ammo can and a persons weight, hang it from the branch (heavy zip ties)for a verticle rope climb.

Tough to hide something that large from ground view (to make it a "5") though.

Not to say this is a bad idea, but I wanted to point out something that I didn't see mentioned. If it has, I apologize and my post can be disregarded.

Anyway, something to remember if you own the 5 acres is your liability if someone gets hurt on your land. I don't know where you live or what the laws are by you, but it's definitely something to think about. You wouldn't want to be sued because some idiot fell from a tree on your property, even though they took the risk by climbing the tree.

That's just my two cents.

Alrighty, settled on a 50-cal ammo can as the container. Difficulty is easily a 5 as it is a Mystery Cache requiring completion of 4 other caches (ranging from a 1/1 EarthCache to a 4/4 8-stage multi in the woods with some ridiculous containers at the various stages; frankly that one may be a 5 in its own right, but for symmetry, leaving it as a 4). Getting the Terrain to a 5 is still the challenge. In this part of the country, there are two shortcuts to a T5 -- require a boat or require a specialized tool (generally, a long extension ladder).

So, new question. What's the best way to conceal (and secure) a 50-cal ammo can high up in a tree in a part of the country where there is high wind, snow, and ice to contend with?

I have two ideas: (i) take some camo netting and turn it into a cinch-sack, put the cache in the sack, and tie the sack to the tree (cachers will then leave the sack where it is whilst removing the cache); or (ii) camo the ammo can itself as either an eagle's nest or clump of leaves/branches and permanently affix it to the tree (such that cachers will not be able to take it down). Either of these would probably work and they'll probably pass the "muggle test", but anyone getting to GZ knowing they're looking for a T5 geocache will look up and spot it almost immediately. This may not be an issue since the cache is already a D5, but is sort of antithetical to the way I want to do this.

So, any other suggestions on how to actually hide a 5-cal ammo can high up in a tree?

If the "5 acres of woods" has a tree with branches large (and high) enough to support an ammo can and a persons weight, hang it from the branch (heavy zip ties)for a verticle rope climb.

Tough to hide something that large from ground view (to make it a "5") though.

That doesn't work since he wants to hide a "large" container and an ammo can is regular.

That doesn't work since he wants to hide a "large" container and an ammo can is regular.
That depends on the ammo can. A typical .30 caliber or .50 caliber ammo can is well under 5 gallons, so it's a regular. But a 120mm mortar ammo can is well over 5 gallons, so it's a large.

Cute. Although I think it would be more accurate to call the 1/1 EarthCache a "size: virtual" rather than a "size: nano"...

When one sends an email with the answer, there is an auto-generated reply with the coordinates of a nano container which contains the QR Code (no log). Since the physical nano container is not part of the EarthCache (the cache can be logged w/o it), it doesn't run afoul of the rule, but it was the only way I could think of to incorporate a nano container (other than going w/ a Wherigo instead of an EarthCache) in the "system" of the series, even though it isn't technically a cache.

--Matt