DON'T PUT FOOD/CANDY INTO A CACHE, PEOPLE!

1- It invites animals and insects to destroy the cache.

2- If the geocache gets wet inside it destroys all the other items in the cache.

3- Would you eat anything left outside in the heat and cold and wet for who knows how long? Why leave it for someone else?

4- You are supposed to trade with something of equal or greater value, but old moldy cookies are a worthless trade item for the next cacher. You are depleting the value of the cache.

DON'T DO IT!

2- If the geocache gets wet inside it destroys all the other items in the cache.

3- Would you eat anything left outside in the heat and cold and wet for who knows how long? Why leave it for someone else?

4- You are supposed to trade with something of equal or greater value, but old moldy cookies are a worthless trade item for the next cacher. You are depleting the value of the cache.

DON'T DO IT!

I found popcorn and left a slice of pizza. I'm hoping to go back and find pierogies but no one ever trades up!

DON'T DO IT!

I found popcorn and left a slice of pizza. I'm hoping to go back and find pierogies but no one ever trades up!

I like to leave pints of ice cream in the summer. I know how hot it gets and want to provide a nice refreshing treat for the next cacher.

Your heart is in the right place. :)

A well thought-out list of reasons not to.

The problem is the people who REALLY need to know this don't peruse the forums much... :cry:

True, but I was really just venting after a flooded cache I found today with tangy taffy in it. Last month I found a cache srtewn for yards as the local critters had gotten the find before me.

DON'T DO IT!

I suspect that there is an interesting story here that I'd like to hear more about. B)

Please, no more Taco Bell hot sauce packets either....

Also, Play-doh is not smart in caches either....cached in Wisconsin and saw how the squirrels had destroyed a cache container to get to the little Play-doh tub inside....teeth marks were everywhere....oh the gnashing that must have happened.

DON'T DO IT!

OK, time for a serious response. The reason so many silly responses is that food in a cache is a very basic taboo. It is even mentioned in the official geocaching documents on this site. But yes, you are right, and it never hurts to repeat it. Food, tobacco, alcohol and other drugs, knives are all things that should never be left it a cache, for various reasons. Thanks for emphasizing it here.

Food, tobacco, alcohol and other drugs, knives are all things that should never be left it a cache, for various reasons. Thanks for emphasizing it here.

and if you do for the love of God don't be a tease and leave the hookah behind too :lol:

Edited by t4e

Found a mostly-empty pack of gum in a cache once. This one got CITOd. Found a (whole) chocolate bar and it got eaten. :D

I was thinking about the 'no food' rule though. There certain things that we consume that are not really food that have an infinite shelf like. Like pop or candy, you know. Wouldn't it be nice to be caching and find a can of pop. Or some candy. It might just hit the spot. ;)

The problem is the people who REALLY need to know this don't peruse the forums much... :cry:

True, but I was really just venting after a flooded cache I found today with tangy taffy in it. Last month I found a cache srtewn for yards as the local critters had gotten the find before me.

I am curious about something here. What upset you more, the flooded cache or the candy in the flooded cache? Personally, it would have been the flooded cache for me. It's not always the CO's fault. Sometimes the lid doesn't get latched back correctly, but still, it is frustrating.

Found a mostly-empty pack of gum in a cache once. This one got CITOd. Found a (whole) chocolate bar and it got eaten. :D

I was thinking about the 'no food' rule though. There certain things that we consume that are not really food that have an infinite shelf like. Like pop or candy, you know. Wouldn't it be nice to be caching and find a can of pop. Or some candy. It might just hit the spot. ;)

Are you saying you actually ate candy you found in a geocache?

Found a soda and some candy in a cache... I would not say either had an infinite shelf life when I threw them out. weather and moisture will do interesting things to both.

Food, tobacco, alcohol and other drugs, knives are all things that should never be left it a cache, for various reasons. Thanks for emphasizing it here.

and if you do for the love of God don't be a tease and leave the hookah behind too :lol:

Hookahs are for tobacco use, bongs are for drugs. Just thought I'd clear that one up, lol.

Hookahs are for tobacco use, bongs are for drugs. Just thought I'd clear that one up, lol.

it is considered a drug, more so other certain varieties :anibad:

Edited by t4e

I am curious about something here. What upset you more, the flooded cache or the candy in the flooded cache? Personally, it would have been the flooded cache for me. It's not always the CO's fault. Sometimes the lid doesn't get latched back correctly, but still, it is frustrating.

We have had an extremely wet spring here in northern Utah and almost every cache I find has suffered. COs need to make better effort to see their cache is protected from the elements, but when finders put stuff like food in I think its makes it so much worse.

the "food" requirement should be expanded to include ALL animal products as an express prohibition.

How about no. There are lots of animal products that have nothing to do with food: Leather, wool, catgut, down/feathers, etc. Unless you're a vegan, you probably don't realize just how many animal products are used in just about everything.

Ever seen what can happen if a can of pop freezes? If not, stick one in your freezer and see! :lol: At the other extreme, who wants to find and consume a can of pop that's been sitting in a cache all summer in 90+ degree weather? And candy--no matter how tough the packaging, it can get torn or punctured, and then you have bugs or animals or an icky sticky mess. Sorry, but "no food" shouldn't be ignored. I think one problem is that people who leave food items don't realize how long some stuff sits in the cache. They envision somebody finding it and enjoying it within a day or two. But that item might sit there for months, and then ick!

What, I can't leave Whoppers and fries in caches anymore? I mean I'm not stupid about it. I make sure it's cool out. I'd never do it if the temps were over 100.

I usually write something like "Some moron left Whoppers and fries in the cache. What part of 'no food in caches' doesn't this Bozo understand?"

Animals have a keen sense of smell. This cache of mine got thoroughly chewed by a coyote, and I'm thinking that fish-candle was the culprit. Even though it's an unscented candle and I couldn't smell anything, I'm sure the animals could.

Even the neighbor's cat came over for a sniff when I brought it home and opened it up.

d2489ef7-11ee-4ec9-982e-f87cc84a6344.jpg

Animals have a keen sense of smell. This cache of mine got thoroughly chewed by a coyote, and I'm thinking that fish-candle was the culprit. Even though it's an unscented candle and I couldn't smell anything, I'm sure the animals could.

Even the neighbor's cat came over for a sniff when I brought it home and opened it up.

d2489ef7-11ee-4ec9-982e-f87cc84a6344.jpg

The lock & lock won a battle with a coyote!!! :P

DON'T DO IT!

Don't use a container that has had foodstuff stored in it,

The odors are extremely hard to eliminate and critters have keen noses.

Why, yes, that's what I said. I worked in retail and there was food on the shelves for years...the store I worked at sold pop 2 years old and chocolate from the previous Easter. You'd be surprised. I'm sure the stuff in the cache was fresher.

Why, yes, that's what I said. I worked in retail and there was food on the shelves for years...the store I worked at sold pop 2 years old and chocolate from the previous Easter. You'd be surprised. I'm sure the stuff in the cache was fresher.

:blink: