Bashing

Hello Everyone!

CACHE OWNER HERE!!!

First of all let me say how truly flattered I am that there has been so much commotion about my Ex Series geocaches.

Second, thank you to Shaved Ewok for giving me a heads up about it.

Let me clear the air about all this talk...

My cache series is about real people and real relationships and those are real pictures. None of the exboyfriends know about them but I know them well enough to know that they would not be offended or upset about it. Some of their friends and family members know about it and say the same thing.

My intent isn't to bash or slander anyone. This series wasn't done maliciously. I"m not "airing my dirty laundry" and I don't have "an agenda." I'm not a "cyber bully" either. I'm not "bitter" or "angry." The caches aren't a joke and I don't feel I need to note wether it is a joke or not on each cache page. The series was approved with the reviewer saying nothing about its inappropriateness.

I have heard nothing but good things about my cache series until now. Everyone in my area loves it. I didn't make the series trying to get a boyfriend and it hasn't scared off any male geocachers who have seen the series. Quite the opposite really. All the boys, and even some girls, joke about dating me just so they can get their own cache in the series.

If anyone has a concern with any of my geocaches then I would appreciate them coming directly to me about it from now on to discuss it.

Thank you!

Love, Scarlett Pepper

P.S. For anyone who hasn't seen The Ex Series cache pages here they are. Enjoy!

GC2GQ12 The Ex Series: Mike

GC2GXGG The Ex Series: Jason

GC2GXGW The Ex Series: Kyle

GC2GXHF The Ex Series: Johnathan

Funny series of caches though I I'm surprised that anybody would be OK with a photo of themselves posted in a public place with the word "loser" scrawled over the top. That seems a little much. If the ex's also got into geocaching, things could get verrry interesting.

I didn't make the series trying to get a boyfriend...
No kidding! :laughing:
...and it hasn't scared off any male geocachers who have seen the series. Quite the opposite really. All the boys, and even some girls, joke about dating me just so they can get their own cache in the series.
You do see the difference between joking about dating you and actually dating you, right? How many people who've seen these cache pages have actually asked you on a real date?

TTJ makes an excellent point Ms. Scarlett - I hope you heed it.

I remember a guy who asked me out when I was 20. He had been bragging about blowing up the mailbox of his former girlfriend (who dumped him) as a way to get back at her. So after he tells me his sob story he finally gets around to asking me out and I can't believe he's actually serious. "You tell me you vandal an ex girlfriend's property as a means of revenge and expect ME to date YOU?"

Haha..not likely. Idiot. :rolleyes:

I remember a guy who asked me out when I was 20. He had been bragging about blowing up the mailbox of his former girlfriend (who dumped him) as a way to get back at her. So after he tells me his sob story he finally gets around to asking me out and I can't believe he's actually serious. "You tell me you vandal an ex girlfriend's property as a means of revenge and expect ME to date YOU?"

So how much did your replacement mailbox cost? :laughing:

My intent isn't to bash or slander anyone. This series wasn't done maliciously. I"m not "airing my dirty laundry" and I don't have "an agenda." I'm not a "cyber bully" either. I'm not "bitter" or "angry." The caches aren't a joke and I don't feel I need to note wether it is a joke or not on each cache page. ...

I have heard nothing but good things about my cache series until now. Everyone in my area loves it. ... All the boys, and even some girls, joke about dating me just so they can get their own cache in the series.

3 favorite points from 152 visits to the four caches.

Jason was annoying but I was bored so I dated him. I hated his ridiculous impersonations, his ugly pet bird, the way he tried to be sexy when he danced and how he told me he loved me in a text message on Christmas Day.

Ok. The CO was bored so she dated him. Weird. :anitongue:

Edited by sword fern

The peters trios mailbox wasn't blown up. The person who asked her out blew his ex girlfriends mailbox.

My intent isn't to bash or slander anyone. This series wasn't done maliciously. I"m not "airing my dirty laundry" and I don't have "an agenda." I'm not a "cyber bully" either. I'm not "bitter" or "angry." The caches aren't a joke and I don't feel I need to note wether it is a joke or not on each cache page. ...

I have heard nothing but good things about my cache series until now. Everyone in my area loves it. ... All the boys, and even some girls, joke about dating me just so they can get their own cache in the series.

3 favorite points from 152 visits to the four caches.

THAT is FUNNY! A certain someone quickly added four votes to the series after I posted the above.

That person has now more than doubled the favorite points to SIX out of 152 or 3.9%.

Edited to update numbers.

Edited by Ecylram

The peters trios mailbox wasn't blown up. The person who asked her out blew his ex girlfriends mailbox.

I know that. It was a joke because you know he wasn't real happy with getting turned down by her. Maybe I should have bolded YOUR in addition to the emoticon.

I know that. It was a joke because you know he wasn't real happy with getting turned down by her. Maybe I should have bolded YOUR in addition to the emoticon.

He didn't retaliate on me because I told him I was already involved with a guy who happened to be a linebacker for OSU.

These caches sound awesome. I would really much more enjoy finding something memorable with genuine human expression that would give me something to think about, than a damp anonymous tupperware box filled with broken happy meal toys and rusty pennies. Sounds like art to me.

There have been suggestions in the forums that the Groundspeak site should become more like "Facebook". Cyber bullying/bashing is one of things that goes on in Facebook that might start showing up more often if the site starts to become more of a social media platform."

Funny, cyber bullying/bashing started way back in the bulletin board and forum days before Facebook was even dreamed of. This smells just like a good ole fashioned Usenet flame war to me. The only thing that FB has introduced is Trolls. Ha!

Oh, and bash is the superior shell! Macs rule! Delorme beats Garmin! And Androids are better than iPhones!

Friends don't let friends plank! It's all fun and games until someone get hurt!

he-hunter

(Disclaimer: The above opinion is not endorsed in part or whole by the Groundspeak account in which it was posted.)

Regardless of what I think about the particulars of the caches in terms of taste and decorum, I don't think they violate the "agenda" guideline as I understand it and I also don't see (with the exception of the picture with "loser") written on it how it would fall under cyber bullying or defamation/libel.

I also don't see that it's any of our business to try and explain to the CO why it might be a bad idea or how it reflects on her own public image. What are we, Mrs. Manners?

Edited by Castle Mischief

The only thing that FB has introduced is Trolls. Ha!

Sorry, those were alive and well on the usenet, even before there was a thing called Mosaic.

Yep. In response to the first USENET post I ever made in 1985, I was called an a**.

LOL. The first USENET post I ever made received one reply. It said (paraphrasing): "Good grief, did it ever occur to you to at least READ the group before you posted? This has been rehashed so many times it's in the FAQ!"

The only thing that FB has introduced is Trolls. Ha!

Sorry, those were alive and well on the usenet, even before there was a thing called Mosaic.

Yep. In response to the first USENET post I ever made in 1985, I was called an a**.

Newbie. I was getting flamed on talk.origins in 1982. :anibad::rolleyes:

Edited by fizzymagic