Marker on ebay

Bill93

http://cgi.ebay.com/360367275903

Jerry Penry noticed this one and posted on another forum. You couldn't imagine the story the seller concocted to advertise it.

You're correct. I couldn't have imagined that one.........but this person sure does have an imagination. WOW!

I went ahead and sent an eamil to the seller, with an explanation about triangulation stations, reference marks, etc......just in case he didn't know.

Now for the fun, I wish we knew where this reference mark actually belonged. It's hard to know, since there is only a date and reference mark disk number imprinted on it (no station name).

Edited by LSUFan

Wow, so that marker could have pointed spies to DC. The top secret location of our government. A location so secret that only a benchmark could point the way. Never mind an every day street sign. :blink::huh:

Love all the info they added about espionage and spies. As if it had any relevance to the item.

Last time one of these showed up on Ebay, a lot of emails were sent saying it was a stolen item and the listing was pulled.

It appears that the seller isn't going to voluntarily pull it, and Ebay isn't going to force the issue on him. He has over 7000 sales with them, which is a good chunk of change for Ebay. Don't want to bite the hand that feeds you.....even if it does have some dirt under the fingernails. :lol:

EDIT: Wow, it sold for a good amount. I guess someone believed the story. It's like P.T. Barnum always said.........

Hmmmm, maybe I should buy some blank disks from Berntsen, to sell on Ebay. My creative writing story will be that these were the disks that Flight 19 was following the arrows on in 1945, when they disappeared near the Bermuda triangle. After an investigation, it was discovered that a dyslexic subcontractor had mounted a disk with the arrow pointing in the wrong direction, which resulted in the flight being lost. All the disks were removed after this and they were redacted (which is why they are blank), as part of a government coverup. :rolleyes:

Edited by LSUFan

The following has been submitted on EBay's feedback page:

http://myworld.ebay.com/sirmarkw/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

This item was misrepresented in its advertising. It is nothing more than a Reference Mark disk intended to point to a main survey disk no more than 0.6 mile distant. It did NOT point the way to Washington DC. Moreover, the Seller copied all of his information, word-for-word, from Wikipedia's "Espionage" article.

Please do not allow the sale of Government survey markers. It encourages people to steal these objects--which were placed at great expense to Taxpayers.

The following has been submitted on EBay's feedback page:

http://myworld.ebay.com/sirmarkw/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

This item was misrepresented in its advertising. It is nothing more than a Reference Mark disk intended to point to a main survey disk no more than 0.6 mile distant. It did NOT point the way to Washington DC. Moreover, the Seller copied all of his information, word-for-word, from Wikipedia's "Espionage" article.

Please do not allow the sale of Government survey markers. It encourages people to steal these objects--which were placed at great expense to Taxpayers.

PFF, I didn't see that comment listed in his feedback. It may have been removed.

I know that NGS Surveyor has stated several times that he contacts the seller/Ebay whenever he becomes aware of one of their disks being offered for sale.

Maybe the powers at the NGS, USGS, Corps of Engineers, etc need to send Ebay an official letter stating the importance of these markers and that they are govt property......and see if Ebay will ban these kind of items of being offered for sale.

I sure would hate to have to start a future email off with:

Hey Deb Brown, when you have time, can you check out Ebay listing so and so, and mark it as destroyed. :rolleyes:

Edited by LSUFan

This week and this week only, buy the Washington Monument from me. No reasonable offer refused.

Next week, the Golden Gate Bridge will be up for sale.

:unsure:

Bad enough finding these defaced or removed from their placement, but hey, isn't there a $250 fine and/or imprisonment for this sale?

Also, does eBay actually pay attention? They're the most exasperating people to contact about any issue at all.

Looks like about 70# of concrete attached to it.

How much would a 10 X 8 X 3 ft sandstone weigh?

98fb2130-b3eb-42b3-a9b8-01572025e848.jpg

QU0182

I'm pretty sure that this one has shoved dirt from several yards away.

kayakbird

Even if you bought the disk fairly cheap, I bet shipping and handling costs would be a killer :lol:

Edited by LSUFan

QU0182

kayakbird

Assuming a rectangular solid block of sandstone of exactly 10 x 8 x 3 ft and an approximate density of 2300 kg/cubic meter, you're looking at 16,000kg or 35,000lb or about 17.4 tons. Those are all round numbers of course......

QU0182

kayakbird

Assuming a rectangular solid block of sandstone of exactly 10 x 8 x 3 ft and an approximate density of 2300 kg/cubic meter, you're looking at 16,000kg or 35,000lb or about 17.4 tons. Those are all round numbers of course......

That WOULD look great in the front yard, though...

I've seen a couple dozen of those light weight ones. This somewhat smaller rock mount could have been drug

down the borrow for a half mile and then barged the rest of the way to my house last week;

and I mean right to my front door.

d642b0bd-867a-46a7-8391-1bc3dc1a119b.jpg

kayakbird

Hmmmm, at least your grass got watered so it's all green. :lol:

If you want to talk about irony, down here in Louisiana where we are having all the flooding from the overflowing MS River and such...........we just went under a statewide outdoor burn ban yesterday (due to dry conditions) :rolleyes:

Edited by LSUFan