looking for local cachers to help a newbie

Hi

I have just discovered Geocaching and I have even gone out looking for my first cache - with no luck at all! I believe I found the location but could not find the cache.

I looked at all the advice and chose a standard size, easy cache, poked around with a stick, risked being stung by nettles or looking a bit dodgy while rummaging around in a hedgerow, checked out the logs which all said what a good cache it was and how it was a nice easy find. It wasn't easy for me!

Then my phone died...

Is there anyone in the Wellingborough/Northants area who would like to help a middle aged newbie or are there any events etc?

I'm not giving up yet!

Hello from a fellow new Cacher! I'd say just try another near by cache, and keep trying! I've got 11 finds now, and about 5 ones I couldn't find. The more I find, the more I learn about how to find them, although at first I was a bit discouraged as I wasn't finding very many.

What GPS are you using? I'm wondering if my difficulty comes from using an Iphone instead of a dedicated device.

Then my phone died...

That's one of the advantages of a handheld GPSr, just pop a couple of AA batteries in and away you go again :)

Not sure about the iphone, but some GPS units in phones are not that great, especially under tree cover etc. I used a bluetooth GPS and a phone for a while and it was much better, woth looking into as it only costs £15 or so :)

... Is there anyone in the Wellingborough/Northants area who would like to help a middle aged newbie or are there any events etc?

I'm not giving up yet!

If you don't find anyone specific to help on this forum you might like to try posting your appeal for help on the emCache forum (East Midlands).

The GAGB have a useful calendar of geocaching events where you see what might be coming up in your area:

GAGB Events Calendar.

MrsB :)

Have sent you mail, Mollymunch. :) If you're free when I'm up that way, and can make it over, we could have a go at a few caches this weekend. If so, let me know of any preferences and I'll have a look see which ones might be good and if we can decide where we're going before I set off, I'll get the caches onto the GPSr.

It's not the same as a local cacher, but it's a start anyway. :)

There used to be a lady vicar (I think) who did arty Events in Northants. I never made it to one, as was never in the area at the right time, but always looked like she put a lot of effort in and would be fun for the family. She must have moved on.

Hi Mollymunch

welcome to the hunt. I cant help you out with searching for caches in Wellingborough, just wanted to say that my grandmother lived in Wellingborough (Jubilee Crescant). We used to go to a park (playground) in Kettering when we were small. Try contacting VictoriaJ she might be able to help you.

Again have fun caching, and never give up, they are out there, go find them :)

David (aka speakers-corner)

Hi Mollymunch

I am in Market Harborough if you are ever caching out this way and need some help. I happen to be caching out your way tonight as well!- Irchester

An event near you coming up is my Flashmob in Market Harborough on Sat 4th - link If you come along I can introduce you to some other cachers afterwards :D

Or if you are on Facebook there is a Northants Geocachers group.

Please feel free to email me if you want any help/advice (although I don't know a thing about caching with a phone!)

Didz

Hi

I have just discovered Geocaching and I have even gone out looking for my first cache - with no luck at all! I believe I found the location but could not find the cache.

I looked at all the advice and chose a standard size, easy cache, poked around with a stick, risked being stung by nettles or looking a bit dodgy while rummaging around in a hedgerow, checked out the logs which all said what a good cache it was and how it was a nice easy find. It wasn't easy for me!

Then my phone died...

Is there anyone in the Wellingborough/Northants area who would like to help a middle aged newbie or are there any events etc?

I'm not giving up yet!

When I started hunting hidden boxes with technology, I rushed into where the GPS said it was and started searching. Soon I worked out that I was better off NOT going right to the location. Standing at lease 10-15 feet away I think they key is to look for something natural but not... stones that blend in but are out of place, sticks that just wouldn't get like that naturally etc etc. This game is only 11 years old, but people have developed more cunning hides, so maybe you'd be best starting with an old cache... some around here date to 2002/3, and in the case of at least one of mine, they're a bit easier than some of the new ones of similar difficulty... not always the case, but an older cache set by an inexperienced (at the time) cacher may prove a bit easier than one they'd place 8/9 years later.

Happy caching though!

Hi Mollymunch

I am in Market Harborough if you are ever caching out this way and need some help. I happen to be caching out your way tonight as well!- Irchester

An event near you coming up is my Flashmob in Market Harborough on Sat 4th - link If you come along I can introduce you to some other cachers afterwards :D

Please feel free to email me if you want any help/advice (although I don't know a thing about caching with a phone!)

Didz

Looks interesting! I'm sure I must have a hat somewhere.....! I have my daughter staying with me that weekend, so we might both come along to meet you all :)

Hi Mollymunch

Didz

Looks interesting! I'm sure I must have a hat somewhere.....! I have my daughter staying with me that weekend, so we might both come along to meet you all :)

Cool B) I'll look forward to meeting you if you can make it :D

I have arranged a meeting place after the Flash Mob, so people can have a drink/chat afterwards, so hopefully you'll get to meet some other cachers from your area! Please come and introduce yourself if you come - I expect I'll be wearing a T-shirt with 'Splendidz' on the back :P

Hi Mollymunch

Didz

Got a link for that group?

I was going to say dont look for a cache that has great hide. That usually means it will be a bitch. Look for a regular that has loads of TFTC's. That will make it an easy find in an easy location and or a series as they will usually be quite easy.

Then I saw the date ....

She's probably found around 20 now and has put out 30. 15 of which will still be there clinging on for dear life the others archived. She stopped caching 2 years ago but still has 5 or so TB's in her inventory and her iPhone is several models on and still shi ... not bad. And I've not even clicked on her profile yet. So I'll do that now ...

Dohhhh that's boring. 331 found (guess she still has that crap iPhone hehe), and no caches owned. Ahhh well it could have been very different and we all know it lol.