51% Off "Geocaching Adventure"

GrievousAngel

My first pass guess is that they don't use real live geocaching/navicache/terracache/opencaching.whatever caches. To hard to control that experience. More than likely they are private caches placed and well stocked to provide the treasure finding experience. The folks that pony up money to go find caches might be a bit put off if they find a cache that has water in it, a soaked moldy log and a nice selection of broken McToys.

Edited by jholly

My first pass guess is that they don't use real live geocaching/navicache/terracache/opencaching.whatever caches. To hard to control that experience. More than likely they are private caches placed and well stocked to provide the treasure finding experience. The folks that pony up money to go find caches might be a bit put off if they find a cache that has water in it, a soaked moldy log and a nice selection of broken McToys.

Except they directly reference existing geocaches as what you'll be looking for:

There are over 1.2 million geocaches hidden all around the world. Yep... that’s 1,200,000 different geocaches. They’re hidden in containers as large as a shoebox and as small as a tube of chapstick. Using a GPS, a few good clues, and plenty of intuition, you scour the area for these treasures. Riding a mountain bike gives us the chance to tag multiple caches in a few hours.

Edited by hydnsek

Wait, doesn't TotemLake already do that once a month or so... for free? :rolleyes:

Yes. And TL even provides hot water as well as official HOTM™ mementos. Plus, he has more antennas than an unmarked WSP vehicle. No matter what happens, someone will know.

Wait, doesn't TotemLake already do that once a month or so... for free? :rolleyes:

Yes. And TL even provides hot water as well as official HOTM mementos. Plus, he has more antennas than an unmarked WSP vehicle. No matter what happens, someone will know.

:laughing::laughing:

Yah but IF I charged, it would be likely nobody would come. :) I mean, why pay for someone to guide me when I can do it for free? (aside from all the permits to park...)

Edited by TotemLake

Except they directly reference existing geocaches as what you'll be looking for:

There are over 1.2 million geocaches hidden all around the world. Yep... that’s 1,200,000 different geocaches. They’re hidden in containers as large as a shoebox and as small as a tube of chapstick. Using a GPS, a few good clues, and plenty of intuition, you scour the area for these treasures. Riding a mountain bike gives us the chance to tag multiple caches in a few hours.

Yep, marketing script direct from the frog. However, I still bet they have private caches or if they have real live GC #'s they own them. To much risk on caches going missing, caches having all the swag plundered and other problems we are all to familiar with. If I was running this show and charging a family $300 bucks for the thrill of finding caches I would make sure I have good control over the experience so can deliver what my customers want. Private well stocked caches all the way. Ever hear of a fella by the name of Walt? He had a pet mouse and a pet duck. He liked to entertain his friends and made sure they had a good time. And quite frankly, if I had a cache up in that area that I found out these folks were using for there little trips, it would be archived in a heart beat.

Well, I asked Compass Outdoor Adventures. Here's their reply:

Compass Outdoor Adventures are making their own caches for this summer long deal. I've been told that the plan is to fill it with fun little prizes for the kids, not the typical leave something/take something.

Great, so when they actually become a GC member, they will have been taught the wrong thing. Take take take.

Edited by TotemLake

Well, I asked Compass Outdoor Adventures. Here's their reply:

Compass Outdoor Adventures are making their own caches for this summer long deal. I've been told that the plan is to fill it with fun little prizes for the kids, not the typical leave something/take something.

Great, so when they actually become a GC member, they will have been taught the wrong thing. Take take take.

Yeah, pretty much what I expected. After finding those really nicely stocked with fun prizes, dry caches with fairly empty and dry logbooks won't they be in for a shock when they go find the real world caches. You won't have to worry about them being a GC member for long TL, after about the third cache they will figure out the real world is not the same and the tour world and go on to something else.

Somehow I don’t think they’re going to have the sort of adventure we’ve come to expect, like broken ankles, broken arms, almost freezing to death, almost falling to one’s death… :ph34r:

How can you call it an adventure if the story doesn't start "No s**t! There I was ... "?