Trackable dipped

mrbond1972+family

It means they recorded a drop of the trackable and then immediately retrieved. The trackables keep track of their mileage the map of the trackable's map is updated with the new information. So as it travels for cache to cache the mileage adds up.

Typically a trackable is dipped when the cache is initially found. But many like me activated our first trackable well into our caching adventures. In my case i went back through all the caches i found logging a note to perform the dip. I tried to stay as close to the order i found them in as possible. Which was hard for the days i found more then 2 or 3.

If you wanted to do this yourself now is a good time to start because I see you're a relatively new geocacher :)

You would need to buy yourself a suitable trackable(that's either a geocoin, or a travel bug tag to be attached to some personal item) and activate it to your account. Then you could go back over your previous 40 finds by visiting each cache page in turn and adding a Note log dated for when you found the cache. With each log you allow the trackable item a "visit" to show that you were there.

MrsB

If you wanted to do this yourself now is a good time to start because I see you're a relatively new geocacher :)

You would need to buy yourself a suitable trackable(that's either a geocoin, or a travel bug tag to be attached to some personal item) and activate it to your account. Then you could go back over your previous 40 finds by visiting each cache page in turn and adding a Note log dated for when you found the cache. With each log you allow the trackable item a "visit" to show that you were there.

MrsB

Why would one want to do this?

I have a trackable and I'm new, but I can't figure why I would want to 'dip my trackable'?

It's called "visiting" now, and it's a way for a cacher to track mileage while searching caches. You can see your travels on the trackables map.

It's fun, it's harmless and it's completely up to the trackable owner. And it's just another way to keep a "journal" of sorts of your caching history.

MrsB

I have a trackable and I'm new, but I can't figure why I would want to 'dip my trackable'?

Welllll, y'know, geocachers think up all sorts of different ways to play the game and that includes using trackable items in a variety of interesting ways. We've never kept a personal trackable for mileage visiting BUT this year I'm playing the mileage game in the UK GAGB Mileage 2011 competition,... and regularly forget to do the 'visit' bit.

Anyway, it's not a very accurate way to track mileage travelled as it's all 'as the crow flies' and you'd need to remember to 'visit' the trackable back to a cache near your home location at the end of each day's caching as well. It's just for fun.

MrsB

We don't have a trackable like that, but have still occasionally dipped trackables into caches we have visited, just to add the cache onto the TB's history as part of its interesting travels. People have done that with some of our TBs and it does help to give a fuller picture of a caching area for the TB owner.

It is used to show the trackable went to a cache and then traveled on with the cacher. For example you picked up a trackable with the intention of dropping with in an appropriately sized cache but came upon a micro cache first. You can't fit the trackable in the cache but since it traveled to the cache it deserved to have the miles counted towards its total.

MrsB

Would not this procedure be akin to, not unlike, "armchair visits"?

We all know how armchair logging is accepted.

MrsB

No, because you actually visited the cache, presumably with the trackable in your pocket. Therefore the this not an armchair log. I would even go so far to say that if this is a personal traveler you using for mileage tracking and it happens to be at home, no fowl, you still visited the cache.

Armchair logging a cache is a totally different animal. You logged the cache from the comforts of home and never visited the cache. Big difference.

So...Here's a ferinstance, for instance. I've just got a new decal on my car. for every cache I've been to, I've taken my car there (though might have walked a mile or two as well). Would it be acceptable to retro-dip the travel bug which came with the decal (same tracking number) to all the caches I drove to?

(Sorry if this is stretching the OP's original question, but I've been wondering if that is OK for a while now.)

So...Here's a ferinstance, for instance. I've just got a new decal on my car. for every cache I've been to, I've taken my car there (though might have walked a mile or two as well). Would it be acceptable to retro-dip the travel bug which came with the decal (same tracking number) to all the caches I drove to?

(Sorry if this is stretching the OP's original question, but I've been wondering if that is OK for a while now.)

Why wouldn't be okay? Just log with the actual dates you did the visit.

Sure, it's done all the time. Gofer it.

Being a new cacher, I can think of another reason one might want to do something like this. We have decided, at the moment, to have just one geocaching account with the premium membership. Once our kids are of an appropriate age, we will let them decide if they want to have their own accounts for use on into adulthood, but for now we thought it would be easier to log things just once. However, I travel quite a bit in my work and there are certainly going to be times when I will visit caches that the rest of the family won't have a chance to see. We are considering purchasing four travel bugs or geocoins as personal items that we would each have visit a cache that we actually see. That way, each of us can kind of see which caches our personal bugs have visited separate and apart from what we log with our family account. Also, the kids will be able to go back and log their personal visits to their personal accounts (or revisit them) if they ever decide to have them using the TBs as a reference.

MrsB

Whoa, those are completely different things.

Just for fun, some cachers use trackables as personal mileage trackers. They OWN those trackables. They "dip" their trackables in caches that they have actually, really, physically found.

Or as said, some "dip" a trackable that they have picked up from another cache into other caches to track mileage before dropping it off into another cache. Makes for a visible route on the trackables map, and lets the trackable's owner know that the trackable hasn't been lost or forgotten and is still on the move.

And some probably "dip" a trackable to correct its history. When a trackable is found in a cache, and the previous cacher logged it incorrectly, a "dip" in the cache where actually was can set its history and mileage straight again, before it's dropped off into the next cache.

Armchair logging of caches and trackables are completely different things than "dipping" or "visiting". People who have never touched or even seen the trackable manage to get the tracking number, and use it to record false logs. Same with caches...they've never left their home, or their country, and sit at the computer, racking up fake numbers by posting "found it" logs for caches.

A trackable owner who allows armchair logging of their trackable does run the risk of having the trackable being "locked".

• Surprised 1

We are considering purchasing four travel bugs or geocoins as personal items that we would each have visit a cache that we actually see. That way, each of us can kind of see which caches our personal bugs have visited separate and apart from what we log with our family account. Also, the kids will be able to go back and log their personal visits to their personal accounts (or revisit them) if they ever decide to have them using the TBs as a reference.

Great idea!

Just for fun, some cachers use trackables as personal mileage trackers. They OWN those trackables.

They "dip" their trackables in caches that they have actually, really, physically found.

Some cachers have DNF coins, to dip in caches they haven't found... :blink:

:laughing:

Brilliant idea!!!

Since we can't see our DNF's on the caching map, this would be an excellent alternative.

I don't see DNF's as negative things, so to me this would be a fun way to track where we would need to re-visit some caches and turn those frowns upside down.

We are considering purchasing four travel bugs or geocoins as personal items that we would each have visit a cache that we actually see. That way, each of us can kind of see which caches our personal bugs have visited separate and apart from what we log with our family account. Also, the kids will be able to go back and log their personal visits to their personal accounts (or revisit them) if they ever decide to have them using the TBs as a reference.

I love this idea

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2011 at 2:29 PM, stiab3 said:

Let's say I pick up a trackable and a couple of days later I go caching again.   I may not find a cache suitable to leave the trackable in but I'll mark it as "visited" that cache so the trackable gets credit for the mileage between where I picked it up and the cache I just found.   It's ok to do this until you find a cache that your comfortable leaving the trackable in or a cache that's may be specific to the trackable's goal.   I don't "visit" the trackable at every cache I find before I drop it off.   For example If I go caching in an area where there's 8 or 9 caches I'll only mark the trackable as visiting one of them so it gets credit for some mileage.   Another reason I do this is so the trackable's page isn't filled up with "visited" logs.  

A visited log also lets the trackable owner know it's still active.   The key is not to hold on to it for too long.   Try to drop it in a cache within a week or two.

Another feature is the discovered log.   If you find a cache that has a trackable in it but for whatever reason you don't want to pick it up.   Write down the tracking code and log it as "discovered" on the trackable page.   This lets the owner, and other cachers,  know that the trackable is still in the cache and waiting to be picked up.    It also adds it to your list of found trackables. 

I have a travel bug I carry with me that belongs to a little girl.  She doesn't want me to drop it off in another cache.   She asked me to keep it with me and "visit" the various caches I find and take pictures of her TB so she can watch it travel and see it in different places.   Many of the pictures I've taken with the TB are from places and things that have nothing to do with Geocaching.