Geocaching.com site update May 24th

Can you tell me what MPO and BM-Caches are?

I'm guessing MPO is dyslexic for PMO - Premium Member Only

and BM is for Basic Member.

And for the list of Caches. What happens when there are over 10,000 caches in view?

I would agree that a list at the larger zoom levels may be impractical, but at the tighter zoom levels it would really be helpful.

Right now I find myself getting the big picture using the beta maps, and switching over to the original maps at a tighter zoom to get the list.

Can you tell me what MPO and BM-Caches are?

I'm guessing MPO is dyslexic for PMO - Premium Member Only

and BM is for Basic Member.

And for the list of Caches. What happens when there are over 10,000 caches in view?

I would agree that a list at the larger zoom levels may be impractical, but at the tighter zoom levels it would really be helpful.

Right now I find myself getting the big picture using the beta maps, and switching over to the original maps at a tighter zoom to get the list.

+1

Maybe the list goes away when there are more than 100 or 150 caches in view? Probably more than 75 would make a more manageable list.

Can you tell me what MPO and BM-Caches are? (I'd hate to assume what BM stood for)

-Raine

MPO should be PMO = Premium Member Only

BM = Basic Member

Well, a distinct limit is a must, but below i.E. 500 Caches should it be possible....

Franz

Can you tell me what MPO and BM-Caches are? (I'd hate to assume what BM stood for)

-Raine

BM = Basic Member

Well, a distinct limit is a must, but below i.E. 500 Caches should it be possible....

Franz

The new maps are getting better with each new update, thank you.

The major downfall left is the lack of an (optionally numbered) list as per the old maps.

I don't think anyone would expect or want a 10,000 cache list.

The cache icons change depending on the zoom level (twice, actually), is there any reason the cache list could not be limited to 500 caches as it is on the old maps? Or only activated above a certain zoom level?

It doesn't matter from this end how you do it, but we really do need the same cache list fuctionality in the new maps as there is in the old ones. If a list is put in place on the new maps, I think you will find that the use of the old maps will drop dramatically.

Viewing the page source of a PMO cache doesn't work for Premium Members in Firefox. The source you actually see is for the "sign up" page that's shown to Basic Members.

This makes it hard to solve some PMO puzzle caches.

Edited by JJnTJ

Viewing the page source of a PMO cache doesn't work for Premium Members in Firefox. The source you actually see is for the "sign up" page that's shown to Basic Members.

This makes it hard to solve some PMO puzzle caches.

I'm not seeing this in FF 3.6.17. I'm seeing the correct source.

-Raine

BM = Basic Member

Franz

The new maps are getting better with each new update, thank you.

The major downfall left is the lack of an (optionally numbered) list as per the old maps.

I don't think anyone would expect or want a 10,000 cache list.

The cache icons change depending on the zoom level (twice, actually), is there any reason the cache list could not be limited to 500 caches as it is on the old maps? Or only activated above a certain zoom level?

It doesn't matter from this end how you do it, but we really do need the same cache list fuctionality in the new maps as there is in the old ones. If a list is put in place on the new maps, I think you will find that the use of the old maps will drop dramatically.

Yes, indeed. Implement the numbered list of caches as we still have on the old maps. This week I have been using a screen shot of the beta map and making my own numbered list with a pencil. Not much fun to do that, though.

100 caches on a list would be more than enough for me. If I were to plan a single day or trip of more than 100 caches, I could do two maps. Actually, I've found when doing it manually that about 25 to 30 on a single map is enough. In an area with many caches, the icons overlap and the map becomes unreadable any way. If there aren't a lot of overlapping icons and I zoom to see more caches, the lines for the roads disappear. One piece of paper with icons for several hundred is caches is not very useful when out hunting for them.

I really would like to have a numbered list on the beta maps.

Edited by wigoweb

View Selection Source instead. That works.

Bonus, it lets you just focus on the user content (I assume that's what you're interested in) without all the standard Groundspeak clutter.

Is it just me or am I missing the plot here, as a non Premium Member I'm now getting less, I can't look at the map to see where the caches are like I use to. Is this a ploy to get you to sign up as a Premium Member??? :mad:

It seems like with the latest update (this was not a problem a few days ago) that when I'm in my profile and if I've visited Lists for example and then go some where else, the link color changes. This is visually distracting and un-appealing. I think the a link visited css line should be set to same as the a link css line, however, that's just my opinion.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not but if you look at someone's profile and click on the Geocaches tab to get a list of caches that user has found, eg here, the 'Last Found' column shows the date that the cache was last found whereas it used to be the date the cache was found by that cacher

Was this intentional?

If so, why the change?

Mark

Edited by Delta68

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not but if you look at someone's profile and click on the Geocaches tab to get a list of caches that user has found, eg here, the 'Last Found' column shows the date that the cache was last found whereas it used to be the date the cache was found by that cacher

Was this intentional?

If so, why the change?

[/quote

I often look at this if a cacher only logs one cache in the middle of a trail of caches, and doesn't log the others. I look and see that they are caching in another part of the globe.

[Edit, quotes are correct. Forum mangled them]

Edited by Don_J

Was this intentional?

If so, why the change?

Mark

I mentioned it in some other thread that I can't find now, and I wish it would get fixed. It's about the only piece of information I want to know when I look at another cachers' finds...don't care when the cache was last found; want to know when that cacher found it.

Some basic questions/problems still not being answered:

Are we stuck with this fixed width? It seems poor to me. Ruins many mystery caches, and has that aweful feedback button interfering with the cache page.

Why does it take a minimum of a minute to log into your (or anyone else's) profile page?

Was this intentional?

If so, why the change?

Mark

I mentioned it in some other thread that I can't find now, and I wish it would get fixed. It's about the only piece of information I want to know when I look at another cachers' finds...don't care when the cache was last found; want to know when that cacher found it.

+1

Was this intentional?

If so, why the change?

Mark

+1

Feedback site report, give it a vote or two.

Not sure if this is due to something with the release or just another problem, but we have stopped receiving notice of finds on our caches. We have a new premium cache which was published yesterday and found this afternoon. We have yet to receive notice that it was found. We are getting notices of newly published caches, though.

One word to the new map at last:

After all the changes and built in (really nice) features into the new maps: I still prefer the old one.

Why? It's simple:

No differentiation between MPO and BM-Caches (Don't see any necessity for it at all, it's confusing and (IMHO) simply - ugly?)

A list of displayed caches (makes it easier to find a distinct cache on the map)

Franz

-Raine

I'm pretty excited about being able to dip TB's when you edit logs. Mostly because I can't dip a TB at all when I log a find from my iPhone. Now if we could get that changed...

I do appreciate all the work on the website!

Edited by Tekcor1

Not sure if this is due to something with the release or just another problem, but we have stopped receiving notice of finds on our caches. We have a new premium cache which was published yesterday and found this afternoon. We have yet to receive notice that it was found. We are getting notices of newly published caches, though.

This morning we have an email notification for the second cacher to find this hide. Hopefully, the missing notification was a one-time glitch.

Is any tech support around this weekend?

Is this update tied in with the new International Reseller Login for Shop Groundspeak email that came out on Thursday? I am trying to edit my address info on my 'new' account page and the only country choice is USA :lol:. I can't change it to Canada, so I don't get to choose BC for my province. Also, there's no links to the 'Shop' - so I am not able to get to any products once I am logged in, only if I log out can I see products. When I click 'Shop our Spring Collection' I get this: https://shop.geocaching.com/default/customer-service

I wish my old account information had been saved :( .

The joys of site updates, eh?

Great work! The beta map is coming along nicely.

I have to second the requests to bring back the ability to create a pocket query from the extents of the map on screen. This is a hugely useful feature and the only reason I find myself still going back to the old version.

Another useful feature (though probably harder to implement) would be the ability to select caches within a user defined bounding box or polygon. Sometimes the map extents and rectangular area simply don't go far enough in filtering out what I want from what I don't. For instance, pulling all the caches around an urban area while excluding the urban area itself. Just an idea.

Keep up the good work!

Not sure if any of this is related but i can no longer log finds, generate pocket queries, or access anything but the first tab of my public profile. i've reported this to Groundspeak but haven't heard back in two days. I'll try a pocket query from the map...

Not sure if any of this is related but i can no longer log finds, generate pocket queries, or access anything but the first tab of my public profile. i've reported this to Groundspeak but haven't heard back in two days. I'll try a pocket query from the map...

Here in the U.S. this is Memorial day weekend, three days off. Like everyone else the Lackeys are out BBQ'ing and finding caches.

Was this intentional?

If so, why the change?

Mark

+1

Also the friends finds are not in milestone order, some random order. It would be nice if the friends finds show when your *friend* found the cache, not some random cacher that had the last find and that your friends finds are in milestone order.

Is any tech support around this weekend?

Is this update tied in with the new International Reseller Login for Shop Groundspeak email that came out on Thursday? I am trying to edit my address info on my 'new' account page and the only country choice is USA :lol:. I can't change it to Canada, so I don't get to choose BC for my province. Also, there's no links to the 'Shop' - so I am not able to get to any products once I am logged in, only if I log out can I see products. When I click 'Shop our Spring Collection' I get this: https://shop.geocaching.com/default/customer-service

I wish my old account information had been saved :( .

The joys of site updates, eh?

Maybe the glitch is similar to the problems we had with PMO expiry dates being incorrect. I contacted GS directly and the situation was sorted pretty quickly. But....I bet you've already contacted them!

The website will be down for a few minutes in the next hour for a full site release to address the following cases:

....(long list deleted for brevity)

We have scheduled one more quick release next week before returning to our regular monthly release cycle. In that update we expect to address many of the lingering issues with HTML displayed in the public profile and cache descriptions.

Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice.

I hope the printing issue will be addressed in the next update. I am unable to print a cache page with a map on it. Yes I do have the background image checked and have also tried it on my son's Mac with exactly the same results. The "Dynamic Map" does not print. I've tried printing it from the web page and saving it as a pdf. Either way the map disappears. Using MAC OSX10.6.7 with Safari 5.0.5 or Firefox 4.0.1. and HP Deskjet D4360. It happened during the initial May release and has not changed since... yes I've read and checked the printing note below the map, and am following those instructions.

<snip>

We have scheduled one more quick release next week before returning to our regular monthly release cycle. In that update we expect to address many of the lingering issues with HTML displayed in the public profile and cache descriptions.

Did this update happen?

<snip>

Did this update happen?

No, because of the long weekend here in the US we focused instead on performance monitoring. Result: we "spiked" at 25% cpu! We're moving the release to next week, most likely Tuesday.

<snip>

Did this update happen?

No, because of the long weekend here in the US we focused instead on performance monitoring. Result: we "spiked" at 25% cpu! We're moving the release to next week, most likely Tuesday.

Thank you. Glad you only got to 25% cpu. :)

Edited by jholly

Does anyone else find the scrolling list of found and DNF caches annoying? Using up valuable bandwidth too for those who pay by the amount of data downloaded and/or have data caps. Solution for me- just get off that page as fast as I can but even then it has already loaded some!

Does anyone else find the scrolling list of found and DNF caches annoying? Using up valuable bandwidth too for those who pay by the amount of data downloaded and/or have data caps. Solution for me- just get off that page as fast as I can but even then it has already loaded some!

It isn't much interest to many... most of the experienced people seem to start by going directly to their PROFILE page instead of the home page.

Doesn't matter to me much... but I see the point in doing that...

Doug 7rxc

<snip>

Did this update happen?

Are we still on track for this week?

Never mind, I see the banner.

Edited by jholly

what are you doing on that page anyway?...go straight to your profile