Geocaching.com site update May 24th

The website will be down for a few minutes in the next hour for a full site release to address the following cases:

• "Your Profile" dropdown menu in nav with new options for accessing your stuff
  • Increased zoom level on Maps Beta
  • Pocket Query integration for Premium Members on Maps Beta
  • Home location now autofilled in search on home page if logged in and home location is set in profile
  • Added ability to edit Trackable origin and date released
  • GPX files sent to Garmin devices via Send to GPs now properly display basic HTML in cache descriptions
  • Fixed error sometimes causing login widget to disappear from home page
  • The "last log" column when viewing Trackables now correctly displays the date in the user's preferred format
  • Visited links text color has been corrected to display in a different color than unvisited links
  • Fixed formatting of very long cache hints so they don't overlap the decryption key
  • Dropping a Trackable when editing a log is available as an option once again
  • Clicking on a Trackable stop on the Trackable map now correctly displays the cache name in which it was placed
  • Fixed import of geocache event to Mac iCal
  • More detailed European statistics maps have been added

Following the May 4th release the site received the following hotfixes:

Hotfix 05/13/11

• Find logs and hidden caches show up on Maps Beta after 5 minutes, down from 15
  • Smiley icons have been slightly modified to add contrast
  • yyyy-MM-dd and dd/mm/yyyy date format options added to profile settings
  • PMO cache icons on Maps Beta no longer appear in a different color than their typical cache type counterparts, the shape remains a circle to distinguish from regular caches
  • Added PMO caches to the Maps Beta legend
  • PMO caches are now hidden on Maps Beta for basic members when zoom is below level 13 (the point at which icons grow larger)
  • Favorites counts were added to Maps Beta cache info bubbles

Hotfix 05/06/11

• Removed cache page transparency
  • Added "Find My Location" to the home page below the search box
  • Disabled caches now display on Beta Maps with a grayed-out icon
  • Added Send to GPS, Log it, and Bookmark links to cache bubble on Beta Maps (must be logged in)
  • Ignored caches no longer display on the Beta Maps
  • Fixed IE8 issue displaying personalization options on original maps
  • Fixed home page search to allow address searches
  • Fixed public profile formatting bug which affected stats bar charts
  • Fixed sorting issue (by last found date) when viewing list of finds
  • Increased the size of text entry fields on E-Mail a User, Log, and Edit Cache pages
  • Returned larger cache type icons to search results
  • Searching by coordinates from the home page now correctly finds that exact location

We have scheduled one more quick release next week before returning to our regular monthly release cycle. In that update we expect to address many of the lingering issues with HTML displayed in the public profile and cache descriptions.

Many thanks to all geocachers who have provided feedback on User Voice.

...But one Bug still appears:

When You 'personalize' the map by blinding out Your own hides and finds, the names of the Caches still appear while hovering over the places of the hidden icons... *sigh*

Don't know, whether You already realized that behaviour at all...

Regards

Franz

When You 'personalize' the map by blinding out Your own hides and finds, the names of the Caches still appear while hovering over the places of the hidden icons... *sigh*

Regards

Franz

Yes, I have noticed that also. I think I made a comment about that on the previous update thread. Is there a feedback topic open for that? I would throw a vote or two one it, or Nate can just acknowledge they are aware of the problem and it will be addressed in the future.

another strange thing appeared. Or better 'disappeared': The distance to the cache-coordinates calculated from Your Home-coords....

Or did You plan to remove it?

Huh, yeah, it's messed up here. A cache that's ~200 meters from my home coords show up as being "S 142.6km from" some unspecified location (it's blank after the "from").

or Nate can just acknowledge they are aware of the problem and it will be addressed in the future

I've already acknowledged it in UserVoice. It's a bug with the way the web browser caches the data. It doesn't break functionality so it's on the todo list still.

-Raine

Regards

Franz

Yes, I have noticed that also. I think I made a comment about that on the previous update thread. Is there a feedback topic open for that? I would throw a vote or two one it, or Nate can just acknowledge they are aware of the problem and it will be addressed in the future.

The thread in UV is here: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1822783-name-of-hidden-found-caches-are-shown

or Nate can just acknowledge they are aware of the problem and it will be addressed in the future

I've already acknowledged it in UserVoice. It's a bug with the way the web browser caches the data. It doesn't break functionality so it's on the todo list still.

-Raine

Thanks, missed the acknowledgment. Yes, I agree it does not break functionality, just a minor annoyance, but it can be lived with until fixed. The changes the past couple weeks have been really great! Thanks!

Edited by jholly

Domo again!!!

Well, just posted my FTF log, and...

All the 'returns' are stripped from the website, though the email still retains my original input.

Needs a hot fix!

see here, where behind most all Smilies inserted should have a 'return' behind them, and also a 'space' to make them into paragraphs.

http://coord.info/GC2WMAC

I see what you mean, Doc. We're taking a look now.

another strange thing appeared. Or better 'disappeared': The distance to the cache-coordinates calculated from Your Home-coords....

Or did You plan to remove it?

Huh, yeah, it's messed up here. A cache that's ~200 meters from my home coords show up as being "S 142.6km from" some unspecified location (it's blank after the "from").

Very strange but I can't reproduce this, and neither can Moun10Bike. Does this break in all browsers?

Very strange but I can't reproduce this, and neither can Moun10Bike. Does this break in all browsers?

Well, the site logged me out and I had to log back in. Distance is shown correctly now. Odd, but w/e.

Edited by dfx

The display of the pocket queries on the beta maps is way cool. Neat Feature!

Amen to that! I just discovered it by accident. Once I saw it, and figured out how it worked, I had to come here to compliment you guys on the implementation of it. Very nice integration!

Domo again!!!

Well, just posted my FTF log, and...

All the 'returns' are stripped from the website, though the email still retains my original input.

Needs a hot fix!

see here, where behind most all Smilies inserted should have a 'return' behind them, and also a 'space' to make them into paragraphs.

http://coord.info/GC2WMAC

I see what you mean, Doc. We're taking a look now.

Thanks Nate!

Well, I actually already added some "br" HTML tags to my log, so that the log looks like what I wanted it to. SO, I guess you need to experiment things to make reoccur.

BTW, one note: I DID use the "i" in Italic format HTML tag within my original log.

Would this throw off something, so that the entire log would be considered written in HTML format, hence deleting normal 'returns', and only respecting the "br" and "p" HTML tags?

Just a thought.

Look forward to the fix.

BTW, one note: I DID use the "i" in Italic format HTML tag within my original log.

Would this throw off something, so that the entire log would be considered written in HTML format, hence deleting normal 'returns', and only respecting the "br" and "p" HTML tags?

Just a thought.

Look forward to the fix.

After some playing around with the log this does seem to be the case. The instant the site saw your italics tags it assumed the entire log was in HTML. If you remove them, or add the line and paragraph break tags as you did to correct it, the log will display correctly.

done...

But for the future: How can i start a new thread/suggestion?

Franz

Edit:

PS: The implementation of the PQs is great, but how can You get back without closing and newly opening the site? I.E. if you just want to compare whether the area you want to travel is covered?...

Edited by massafranz

PS: The implementation of the PQs is great, but how can You get back without closing and newly opening the site? I.E. if you just want to compare whether the area you want to travel is covered?...

Please rephrase this question. I'm having trouble visualizing the workflow here.

OK.

I opened the map, then one PQ to look whether a distinct area is covered by the PQ, marked by the 'flagged' icons.

But there is no way to turn of the flags, marking the waypoints covered by the PQ after the 'check'. Or might it be, that i just didn't find it?

Franz

Edited by massafranz

Just a thought.

Look forward to the fix.

After some playing around with the log this does seem to be the case. The instant the site saw your italics tags it assumed the entire log was in HTML. If you remove them, or add the line and paragraph break tags as you did to correct it, the log will display correctly.

Thank again Nate!

Found something, and learned something! Love Geocaching!

BTW, is this a 'known' & 'documented' feature, like somewhere in Knowledge base?

If so, where?

If not so, then it might be good to have some kind 'warning' message, or the option to choose either your log is in HTML or not (default).

Just like all the TB pages, and cache description editors?

Just my thought.

Thanks again!

OK.

I opened the map, then one PQ to look whether a distinct area is covered by the PQ, marked by the 'flagged' icons.

But there is no way to turn of the flags, marking the waypoints covered by the PQ after the 'check'. Or might it be, that i just didn't find it?

Franz

Turn off the flags by clicking on the PQ name again. They act as an on/off toggle.

OK.

Franz

Turn off the flags by clicking on the PQ name again. They act as an on/off toggle.

Ahhh... I was going to report the same issue. I failed to notice that it was a toggle. Thanks.

I have just typed a found log, here if you need to see it, Link before submitting the log I needed to change a bit but instead of the new text being inserted it overwrote the existing text. I did check my scroll lock etc was not pressed and checked out outlook and word where inserted characters pushed the existing text along as it should so it is not me.

Win XP IE8

[*]Visited links text color has been corrected to display in a different color than unvisited links

I'm very happy for this, but... please.. can this be in a different color? Maybe the one before May 4th update

+1, not a good choice of color, way too bright for the white background.

Finally! Most of my cache description pages look ok, still a few weird things.

We have scheduled one more quick release next week before returning to our regular monthly release cycle. In that update we expect to address many of the lingering issues with HTML displayed in the public profile and cache descriptions.

I think I will wait for that before trying to fix anything. I just played with one to see what happens.

I was using <p></p> in some places (with nothing inside) but they are removed now.

Also each <td> seems to comes with padding: 5 now. I was able to override it (glad we can) but why not let us define if we want padding?

That's about it. Any idea what you have on paper that should be fixed for that release?

Thanks!

Edited by Rhialto

I have just typed a found log, here if you need to see it, Link before submitting the log I needed to change a bit but instead of the new text being inserted it overwrote the existing text. I did check my scroll lock etc was not pressed and checked out outlook and word where inserted characters pushed the existing text along as it should so it is not me.

Press the "insert" key on your keyboard.

The website will be down for a few minutes in the next hour for a full site release to address the following cases:

[*]Pocket Query integration for Premium Members on Maps Beta

that is an awesome feature, thank you :D

[*]Pocket Query integration for Premium Members on Maps Beta

that is an awesome feature, thank you :D

NICE Took me a couple minuets but it works great. Oh and I like the new colors :anibad:

• Pocket Query integration for Premium Members on Maps Beta

For a second I thought it was now possible to instantly generate a PQ with a single click from what was visible on the map. Many times I wish there is such a button. I often spot a central place in a city I'm about to visit and would like to generate a PQ with what I see on the map.

How I do it for now, is pick up the GC code of the cache in the center, then create a PQ by specify a radius of X miles around that cache.

If you ever think this is a good idea, feel free to work on adding it! :-)

Regards

Franz

The thread in UV is here: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1822783-name-of-hidden-found-caches-are-shown

A bit stupid that one needs to submit a feedback on something which is clearly a bug and thus gets on the pile of things that never will be accomplished as many of the items in the feedback system.

Secondly, the personalisation is still broken on the standard maps. Each time one zooms (out) or moves the maps, the founds show again despite that the checkbox is checked not to do so.

One word to the new map at last:

After all the changes and built in (really nice) features into the new maps: I still prefer the old one.

Why? It's simple:

No differentiation between MPO and BM-Caches (Don't see any necessity for it at all, it's confusing and (IMHO) simply - ugly?)

A list of displayed caches (makes it easier to find a distinct cache on the map)

Franz

Edited by massafranz

A bit stupid that one needs to submit a feedback on something which is clearly a bug and thus gets on the pile of things that never will be accomplished as many of the items in the feedback system.

Secondly, the personalisation is still broken on the standard maps. Each time one zooms (out) or moves the maps, the founds show again despite that the checkbox is checked not to do so.

I listed the UV thread to indicate that we are aware of the issue and have responded to it. Yes, the issue is a bug on the old map and the developers have indicated that it will be fixed in the next release.

One word to the new map at last:

After all the changes and built in (really nice) features into the new maps: I still prefer the old one.

Why? It's simple:

No differentiation between MPO and BM-Caches (Don't see any necessity for it at all, it's confusing and (IMHO) simply - ugly?)

A list of displayed caches (makes it easier to find a distinct cache on the map)

Franz

Can you tell me what MPO and BM-Caches are? (I'd hate to assume what BM stood for)

And for the list of Caches. What happens when there are over 10,000 caches in view?

-Raine