OREGON 550T Yet AGAIN

Some say there is. I guess I do too in really bright conditions. But I've never really noticed it being any harder with the Oregon than I have with any other GPS that I've used, including the 62s.

Both are great GPS units, you can't go wrong with either.

To the original poster......

Anyone that says that the Oregon 550 is not difficult to read in bright sunlight is factually incorrect! I have a Map76CSx, an Oregon 550 and a Map 78S.....so I can compare all three. Here's where the main difference is....the camera, and there is no need to get a 550 unless you want the camera.(if you don't need the camera get a 450) No, the 550 doesn't yield "portrait quality" pics but the ones that it does take are very good and they are automatically geo-tagged with location. Much better than having to tote and drag out a second camera for every pic.

All 3 unit's screens are visible in bright sunlight but the user must sometimes tilt, turn, or rotate to eliminate glare on the screen on any/all of the units, but mostly the 550. However, if you are trying to take a picture of a specific object, whether close or far away, the camera must be pointed AT that object....DUH. That means that you sometimes CAN'T tilt, turn, rotate the unit to see the screen to frame the pic. Quite often that means the user must just "point and hope" because the image on screen is absolutely and totally impossible to see. NOT just hard or difficult to see, totally invisible due to the glare....the screen might as well be a brick. That being said, pixels are cheap, so the user can take/retake several and discard the unwanted ones.

Go to a store that has both and see for yourself.

I’ve had an Oregon 550 for a couple years now, an Oregon 400t before that and an Oregon 200 before that. I always have the backlight on high. I cannot recall ever having a situation where I could not see the display. Even if you can’t move the GPSr you can move your head to change the angle that you are viewing the display.

Anyone that says that the Oregon 550 is not difficult to read in bright sunlight is factually incorrect!

All 3 unit's screens are visible in bright sunlight but the user must sometimes tilt, turn, or rotate to eliminate glare on the screen on any/all of the units, but mostly the 550.

you always like to contradict yourself? :laughing:

the 550 is not a problem to read any time of day, even with sunglasses

The screen on Oregon GPSR's is somewhat readable, but it is a pain because you have to look hard at it to make out the detail. I suppose if you select the brightest illumination, then it is somewhat better, but hard on battery life. You make the decision, but note that GPSR's since the Oregon have more readable screens. The 62, 78 and Dakota series are all improvements in screen readability. Now with the Montana coming, you can bet it won't be nearly as difficult to read as the Oregon series. I jumped on the bandwagon early and purchased an Oregon for $600 and returned it to REI after honestly trying to use it. If you are open to other brands, then DeLorme makes a great GPS PN60 as well as the Magellan 510-710 series. It is hard to understand how cachers can state that the Oregon is not difficult to view. Try out a few brands/models and pick the one that suits your eyes. Peoria Bill [:D]

Anyone that says that the Oregon 550 is not difficult to read in bright sunlight is factually incorrect!

All 3 unit's screens are visible in bright sunlight but the user must sometimes tilt, turn, or rotate to eliminate glare on the screen on any/all of the units, but mostly the 550.

you always like to contradict yourself? :laughing:

the 550 is not a problem to read any time of day, even with sunglasses

Quote the entire post not just selected portions taken out of context.

There is no contradiction......the problem is when using the camera, at which time the user CAN'T tilt.turn,rotate, etc. and also, in answer to another post above, there are many times when taking a pic that the user cannot move their head or ? enough to eliminate the glare or improve visibility.