Cache Machines

Yes, I suppose this could be considered an "on topic" thread but I wanted to pose the question to the OT regulars.

I may have an opportunity to participate in a cache machine next month. I've never done one before. I'm having a little bit of a hard time imagining a hoard of people moving from cache to cache in a dense urban area. To my mind, it sort of goes against the point of caching, e.g., be stealthly. And last year I went to an anniversary event and there had been a dozen or so caches put out for that and to look at the GZs of those caches it was kinda sad. Everything around GZ was trampled - there was no need to search because you could see exactly where everyone had been to sign the cache. It wasn't all that fun - although the social aspect of it was.

Sure, the numbers are great but is it worth it? (I've never been much of a numbers hound.) Have you ever done one? Was it fun? Would you do one again?

Edited by ThePetersTrio
Have you ever done one? Was it fun? Would you do one again?

I've encountered family groups, before and after cache events. One guy finds the container, it's passed around, each person signs the log, most of the group moves along. And the last guy places the container on the ground somewhere. "Hey! Where did you find it! Guys??"

The "cache machine" organizer should pick "park & grab" caches. Or at least trample-proof ones.

Yes, I suppose this could be considered an "on topic" thread but I wanted to pose the question to the OT regulars.

I may have an opportunity to participate in a cache machine next month. I've never done one before. I'm having a little bit of a hard time imagining a hoard of people moving from cache to cache in a dense urban area. To my mind, it sort of goes against the point of caching, e.g., be stealthly. And last year I went to an anniversary event and there had been a dozen or so caches put out for that and to look at the GZs of those caches it was kinda sad. Everything around GZ was trampled - there was no need to search because you could see exactly where everyone had been to sign the cache. It wasn't all that fun - although the social aspect of it was.

Sure, the numbers are great but is it worth it? (I've never been much of a numbers hound.) Have you ever done one? Was it fun? Would you do one again?

Sounds like you are predisposed not to enjoy it and therefore won't.

To my mind, it sort of goes against the point of caching, e.g., be stealthly.
That may be the point for you, but it is certainly not the point of the game. In certain conditions it should be an element of the game.

Everything around GZ was trampled - there was no need to search because you could see exactly where everyone had been to sign the cache.
Trampled? As in landscaped flower beds? Or a spot in the woods where a bunch of people hunted the cache and which will recover in a week? If the former I wouldn't cache with them, if the latter no big deal.

It wasn't all that fun - although the social aspect of it was.

Therein lies the point of doing it, for me. It's all about having fun with a group of cachers. Try doing it like I do one time - go just to have fun. Check out the hides and contents, trade if you see something special, sign the log if you want, but don't even write down what caches you visited. Don't log them online. Just have fun with a group of friends on a memorable day out. You might find that doing things differently now and then (though that's pretty much the way I always cache now) is even more fun than the way you usually cache!

Sounds like you are predisposed not to enjoy it and therefore won't.

No, I am not predisposed else I wouldn't have started the thread and asked for others to share their experiences. The "pros and cons" if you prefer. :)

Trampled? As in landscaped flower beds? Or a spot in the woods where a bunch of people hunted the cache and which will recover in a week? If the former I wouldn't cache with them, if the latter no big deal.

Well, this was not a "cache machine" I attended. I've never done an official cache machine, hence my query here. This was just a very large group of cachers grabbing caches near an event. The areas that were trampled were actually all of the above, landscaped flower beds (at the entrance of a housing development), spots in the woods (some damage to the stump at one spot made the cache no longer hidden), trampled grassy areas as people fanned out to hunt and then stood around passing the log book (which probably would come back in a fairly short time, yes).

So again, being as I don't know if this is what commonly happens when large groups go out caching (I assume doing some damage is possible though), I was wondering what others here have experienced. I don't wish to contribute to any circumstances where poor caching form seems to be the norm.

Therein lies the point of doing it, for me. It's all about having fun with a group of cachers. Try doing it like I do one time - go just to have fun. Check out the hides and contents, trade if you see something special, sign the log if you want, but don't even write down what caches you visited. Don't log them online. Just have fun with a group of friends on a memorable day out. You might find that doing things differently now and then (though that's pretty much the way I always cache now) is even more fun than the way you usually cache!

Great! This is what I'm looking for. What experiences have others in OT had in their cache machines and would they do it again? Thanks TAR.

And obviously the point is to have fun. I get that, no problem. I'm just trying to gauge how much fun it would actually be for me before I decide to go or not. So I thought I'd ask some folks who have tried them out.

Ive done a couple of them and they are fun, we'd meet at a fast food restaurant wait for all the group to show up and usually start out about 8ish in the morning. Sometimes I imagine we looked like the Keystone cops, stop for lunch at another fast food restaurant, then continue on from there. Some would go on into the night, I'd usually bail out around 3 or 4 pm.

It's not something I'd want to do every weekend, but they are a kick every once in awhile :D

I don't know, I've never done one. I wanted to comment on this:

it sort of goes against the point of caching, e.g., be stealthly.

This is not the point of caching. At least, not in my world.

Ok, ok...I didn't phrase that the best way. But I do try to be stealthly when I'm out there caching.

The LAST thing I'd ever want to do is get some CO's cache muggled because someone saw me with it.

So keeping that in mind, and also from what vagabond said about looking like the Keystone cops, it is a genuine concern of mine. Hopefully that's ok? :unsure:

Cache machines are soooo 2003-2004. :rolleyes::laughing::anitongue:

My 14 year old often tells me I'm stuck in the 90s, so maybe that would be right up my alley! :laughing:

Yes, but a better perspective is MySpace is sooo 2006 so that puts you squarely in unfashionable territory. No wonder 14 year olds are so embarassed of their parents. :anibad::laughing::anitongue:

Uh... back on topic here...

I've done one cache machine.

I thought it was a blast, and I really enjoyed it.

Would I do it again? Not likely.

It's just not my thing.

Pros: a lot of fun, and it's social.

Cons: I didn't get to actually find that many, and that's what caching is about to me; I ended up with a big number I didn't earn; I got to see the bad side of cachers afterwards as they argued in emails about who followed the rules and who didn't (there AREN'T rules to cache machines, not even guidelines it seems, although everyone followed what they believed to be the correct guidelines, not everyone followed the same ones. I guess it would be like asking the general forums what the rules are for cache machines: general chaos ensued as it was only discussed afterwards)

It was a lot of fun when there was a hard cache because you'd just keep looking and more people would show up and help. Most eventually got found.

It was fun because even though it wasn't supposed to be a race, most people were racing and that was fun.

I learned a lot about the value of a good route and how to plan a good route.

There were good things and bad things about it. I'm not likely to repeat the experience, but I wont' say definitely never. I'm glad I did it once. Chances are that's all I need.

My only recommendations are:

If it's not someone who normally runs a cache machine, then make sure they inform the local police and sheriffs etc. The people who normally run them will do this.

Go over the route on Google maps first (if not in person). This will make life much easier. There were a few we just couldn't figure out how to get to. I would have liked to have been more familiar with the route, even just on the computer.

Plan in gas stops near caches. Part of the team gets the cache, the other gets gas.

Bring lots of food and water. (we didn't have a planned lunch stop)

Four people is ideal, three is minimum per team (per car). One drives, one navigates, one reads description and hint, the other runs like h***. Jobs can be rotated.

Find out if there are rules for your hunt. Does everyone have to be present at signing or can you work as a team? Make sure everyone knows that the person to find it needs to put it back (so they know where it goes). etc. etc.

I'm not interested in debating anything here, just mentioning that you might want to be clear on what the group is considering good practices so you don't run into conflict afterwards like our group did.

Bring stickers with your teams name on it. We wrote the initials of each of our four team members on a sticker with a date on it. Made life much easier. (one sticker for our team). Then when we logged it I cut and pasted a note that said what we signed under. They got over a hundred signatures that day, so they didn't argue.

If you disagree with any of these practices, just don't do it. I don't want to discuss any of this. That's not what this thread is about. That's not what geocaching is about. It's about fun. Play the game how it feels right to you. You've got to feel good about your finds at the end of the day, not the other guys.

This game is about having fun.

If it's fun for you then do it.

If not, then don't.

I have never enjoyed caching in a group larger than two or three people, five tops. The most I cached with was probably about twenty or so. We were all at an event and went with to watch a local cacher find her 1000th back when that was rare. There is no way that large a number of people can be quiet tramping through the woods.

I seldom cache at all during events. It just isn't fun to approach the cache site and have to wait for the herd to get done. All the while more cachers keep lining up behind. For me events are for socializing, not the cache hunt.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been in contact with the organizers and the route is VERY well mapped out.

I have decided to try it out, but will only be able to join in the fun for a few hours vs. trying to do the whole day. So I'll get a taste of what it's like and whether or not they are my cup of tea.

Huh! I thought "cache machine" meant something else entirely, namely a cache which contains a bunch of fresh micros/nanos and finders are supposed to take one and make a new cache. (Which I think is against the guidelines.)

Although it's use may have once been more widespread, "Cache Machine" has become pretty much a Pacific NW regional term. How do I know this? The guy who asks to "Geocaching Question of the day" on Twitter (and usually a couple hundred people answer) is from Washington State, and once asked "have you ever been on a cache machine"? And like hundreds of cachers from all over the world are like, huh?

I cached with a group of 4 people at an event. (Including me).... I guess that could be considered a machine? Anyway it was fun... go for it!!!

I don't think that four people is what they mean when they say "cache machine". As I understand it they are talking about a large number of people all traveling together in a caravan of vehicles. I could be wrong though.

A group of four could be fun. A group of forty converging on every cache I would not find fun.

I cached with a group of 4 people at an event. (Including me).... I guess that could be considered a machine? Anyway it was fun... go for it!!!

I don't think that four people is what they mean when they say "cache machine". As I understand it they are talking about a large number of people all traveling together in a caravan of vehicles. I could be wrong though.

A group of four could be fun. A group of forty converging on every cache I would not find fun.

The first couple of caches on the route may have 40 people, but then the vehicles spread out. You might have two vehicles together for several caches then go solo for a few. Think of it as the first vehicle occupants find the cache and sign the log then leave while the second vehicle occupants sign and replace the cache. The first group doesn't hang around for the next group to sign, but have to make sure someone in that group knows exactly where the cache goes.

OH NO!!!

Another topic from "off topic" gets moved onto the main forums!!! EEEEEKKKKKKKKK!!!

Oh, so now I have to actually stay on topic.

Sorry, I digress.

Umm... uh.. yes, cache machines often have over a hundred people on them. Although they do not stay together in a clump (how could they?) you end up caching with a lot of people, especially if you can't find it, then more show up soon. This could be seen as an advantage or disadvantage. Or both.

Those people DO follow the same route, so you WILL run into a whole lot of cachers.

I didn't know if it were just a northwest thing or not.

I'm not convinced it's a great practice myself, but it's like the power trails, one more different way to play, and everyone can play any way that they like.

Different strokes for different folks.

We're all just here to have fun anyway.

The mere thought makes me exhausted. I think participating in this so-called cache machine (first I've heard this term, by the way) would be the #1 fastest way to caching burnout, for me at least. I LOVE the solitude of caching, or the companionship of caching with one other person. Large group caching doesn't sound fun to this cacher at all.

...Umm... uh.. yes, cache machines often have over a hundred people on them...

Really? I've never heard of one that large. Or even close. Citation?

Here is the link for the most recent cache machine that was held in March, right in Ambrosia's neighborhood. The page shows 135 attended logs. They are very popular in Washington and are planned in great detail. Check the current active topic in the Northwest forum.

I have never attended a cache machine and can't see myself ever doing one in the future. Group caching is not my thing. Those who do them really enjoy them.

Citation? :rolleyes:

Will attendance numbers at the CM event dinners suffice?

Wenatchee 3/26/11 #135

Belfair 1/2/11 #112

Moses Lake 9/25/10 #121

Walla Walla 3/20/10 #117

Centralia/Chehalis 1/2/10 #108

Here, see for yourself. Travisl is the organizer. Just about all the attended were on the trail at some time or another. As was mentioned by others, we don't line up at a starting line waiting for the starting pistol. Granted the majority start on #1 at about the start time and there is a group that moves along the route. The group tends to get quite spread out by 10am, and you might well find your caching with a number of different people during the day. I have gone and started the route on Friday and on the official CM day picked up were I left off. I usually don't start to see CM caches until later in the afternoon. There is no requirement to cache with the group. You can cache by yourself if you wish, you can run the route backwards, you can start in the middle, your can start at some arbitrary place, cache for a while and then quit. But really, it is a social thing, pure and simple.

Edited by jholly

I guess I don't really understand the point of a cache machine. I see that Team GPSaxophone's is an event with a cache route all planned out. But why plan the route? Many of the attendees will have many of the caches, right?

Around here we have had breakfast events on the same day as pub events. Folks tend to break off into whatever size group they are comfortable with and spend the time between caching.

I guess I don't really understand the point of a cache machine. I see that Team GPSaxophone's is an event with a cache route all planned out. But why plan the route? Many of the attendees will have many of the caches, right?

Around here we have had breakfast events on the same day as pub events. Folks tend to break off into whatever size group they are comfortable with and spend the time between caching.

Each cache machine is in a different area, so chances are most participants won't have found all the caches in each area already. In fact, I don't have a single find on the route for this one.

By planning the route the group stays together to an extent, although the vehicles do get spread out over the course of a couple of hours. You build a certain camaraderie with the other cachers in your vehicle as you go. There's even a little bit of competition as one group tries to re-hide the cache before the next group gets there. Many of the caches are otherwise unremarkable park and grabs but by putting them on the route we have fun finding them as opposed to "just another LPC" in a parking lot.

I just do my own thing when I go to one. Often the official routes do not have puzzles and the like. I like the possibility you could crash into someone. I almost never follow the official route.

"In other news today, A multi-car pile up in the Walmart parking lot was cited by officials to be the result of something called a 'cache machine'. More at eleven."

75383231-drivers-stand.jpg

Edited by GOF and Bacall

I just do my own thing when I go to one. Often the official routes do not have puzzles and the like. I like the possibility you could crash into someone. I almost never follow the official route.

I do not include puzzles on the route since adding them would allow some people to find the cache without solving the puzzle.

As an example of a NW cache machine, take a look here. The route is here. For past machines check out Travis's profile page.

The local attendees may have many of the caches on the route. The one held this New Years day in Belfair I and my caching buddies had most of the caches. We made our own route and had fun. The other point is that cache machines move around Washington, Oregon and Idaho. So for most of the cache machines the attendees are caching in essentially virgin territory. Yes, attendees do come from miles around. It is not unusual to find attendees from couple hundreds of miles away, a state or two away, or even from Canada. And yes, the cache machines do go to Canada. Maybe that is part of the appeal, you get to go cache in areas you normally would not, and have some social time with cachers from a wide area. I have gotten to meet cachers from all over the NW that I normally would not have met if it was not for the cache machines. The event for cache machines is the dinner aftwards.

I do not include puzzles on the route since adding them would allow some people to find the cache without solving the puzzle.

I understand, but I still look to do them if in the area, especially if its outside of my home turf. I like finding puzzles.

As an example of a NW cache machine, take a look here. The route is here. For past and future machines check out Travis's profile page.

The local attendees may have many of the caches on the route. The one held this New Years day in Belfair I and my caching buddies had most of the caches. We made our own route and had fun. The other point is that cache machines move around Washington, Oregon and Idaho. So for most of the cache machines the attendees are caching in essentially virgin territory. Yes, attendees do come from miles around. It is not unusual to find attendees from couple hundreds of miles away, a state or two away, or even from Canada. And yes, the cache machines do go to Canada. Maybe that is part of the appeal, you get to go cache in areas you normally would not, and have some social time with cachers from a wide area. I have gotten to meet cachers from all over the NW that I normally would not have met if it was not for the cache machines. The event for cache machines is the dinner aftwards.

What he said (added bolded text mine). :lol: I frequently cache alone and favor hiking caches, but CMs are a great excuse to see folks, take a road trip, and run numbers (which otherwise i don't do).

Bookmark list of all PNW Cache Machines (they started in 2002 and are a Northwest tradition)

I've been to several Cache Machines here in Washington. The Walla Walla CM I traveled solo and ended up caching with very few people. Only a half dozen or so times did a group "form" around the cache (generally the harder to find ones, I think the largest was about 20 people, but that was rare), the rest of the time I was by myself, though I might see some cachers as I arrived or as I left the area. I knew I wasn't going to get (or even really try to get) all the caches on the route, so I skipped all the micro's, which tended to break me away from any group (they'd stop when I passed by). The real social time is the dinner (the actual "event").

I've also been to CM's where several cars (2-5) stayed together most of the day. And as the planning occurs, the route changes - some people don't see the latest route, so you may see groups scattering as they leave a cache for "the next one" and find that each has a different "next one".

Window marking pens are very popular so you can see vehicles all day with WWCM (or such) on them. Sometimes we even sign each other's cars (I use TNLGSW - Took Nothing, Left Graffiti, Signed Window).

For three years now , in December, we've done a " walking cache machine ". It called the View Carre' French Quarter Walk About. We start at the View Carre' cache in New Orleans and walk a couple of miles through the French Quarter grabbing about 22 caches. This past year we had over 60 cachers do the walk about.....most of us had already found all the caches but we have a great time visiting and learning more history of the area. There were so many of us no one could see what we were doing ( human shield ).

I've been on a few driving group cache runs and they are far more challanging because of driving and parking. In no case are these type events good for " high numbers caching ".....you can find far more quicker using one vehicle with 2-4 people.

I may have an opportunity to participate in a cache machine next month.

Do you enjoy hanging out with friends, schmoozing about this hobby? If so, you might actually enjoy participating in a cache machine run. Just don't try to equate cache machine runs with what you feel geocaching should be. Be honest with yourself as to why you are there, (spending time with friends), and you might have a blast. If you are typically a solo cacher, who prefers to focus on individual, memorable hunts, don't expect a cache machine to satisfy those needs. They are two entirely different critters.

I did a mini-CM in February in Pendleton Or and I met some really great cachers from the Spokane/Inland Empire area. I had fun and had a record day but I found I don't like driving them. My second CM was a travisl production in Wenatchee in which I stayed at a hotel and then rode in a van with a bunch of the cachers I met in Pendleton. There were 5 of us in the van all with gadgets and such and we had so much fun even though it was raining almost the entire day. I met Lackey's from GS who brought goodies to raffle off (I won a book) and all in all it was a blast. I am bummed I can't make PDX this month but hope to make the next one in Sept. They are not for everyone and I wouldn't do them all the time but it was a great way to get to know cachers from all over the NW.

I've always wondered if Cache Machines were primarily a Northwest thing or if they happen all over. Sounds like they don't happen anywhewre to the degree that they do here.

I've been to two cache machines and enjoyed both. The first time was New Years day a over year ago (the TravisL cache machines happen here on a quarterly basis) and I did it with my family in tow. They were warned but even so were done before I was. The second time I teamed up with two other cachers and had an enjoyeable time. We purposely started on a different cache then was indicated as the "first" to avoid the large crowds. I think we only ran into other groups at three or four caches out of 70 that we found on the day.

I'm seriously thinking of going to the one in Portland in a couple of weeks. They are fun when done in moderation. Some locals here in Washington don't miss any. Others never go. some are like me and do one or two a year. My opinion is to try it and judge it for yourself. If you like the social aspect of caching then you will most likely enjoy Cache Machines.

As a few people have mentioned already in this thread, the last NW Cache Machine was in my hometown. My MIL and I went to it, but because we had done most of the caches on the route, we were really laid back about it. We started out late in the morning, and went to a new cache on the route and met a couple carloads there. Then we went north of town and got a few caches not on the route, and had nature all to ourselves. After that, we went to the loop trail (a 9 mile trail that goes around both sides of the Columbia River, encompassing two towns), and did some caches that we hadn't found yet. We walked for a fair bit, and met up with a group of cachers while finding several caches. All in the rain. :D

Sure, we could have done all of those caches at any other time, but the point wasn't just the caching, but the socialization. There's just something about a CM, you don't know who you'll meet and who you'll end up caching with. There's a fun, friendly energy to the whole thing.

I've been to three CMs (plus one dinner and an informal CM). My family are the type of people who aren't really into the numbers, and we want to enjoy the day in a relaxed manner, and see where it takes us. We don't work super hard to get all the caches on the route. We like to keep Saturdays (which is what day CMs are on) laid back and close to nature, friends, family, God. Other people like to get as many caches on the list that they can. Whatever makes people happy. It's nice to have options. My biggest caching day (two different times) is only 36 finds. I wouldn't do a lot of CMs, because that could end up exhausting and too much like work. But they're fun to do every once in a while, when the mood strikes.

The groups that take part in cache machines here sign in as Team XYZ or whatever, then log online stating they were members of Team XYZ. Whoever finds, signs the team name and that way the cache goes back in the correct place. There's a later start here...7.30 - 8.00am.

...I see that Team GPSaxophone's is an event with a cache route all planned out. But why plan the route? Many of the attendees will have many of the caches, right?

The entire group needs to stay together the whole time for it to be a cache machine, and it would probably be too hard to direct the route on the go with ~30 attendees.

By the way, whoever drew that route map is no cartographer. Your Photoshop skills need work, Team GPSaxaphone.

Edited by Ambient_Skater