Serial to USB driver for Windows 7

I've installed MapSend Topo 3D in Windows 7, using WINXP SP2 mode and with administrative privileges. I have also installed GSAK Ver. 7.7.4.21. I am trying to load caches into my Magellan Meridian, using a serial to USB converter. However, I keep getting the error message "No Drivers Found for this device". I then went into Windows 7 in an attempt to load drivers, but no matter where I have Win 7 look (Drive E: where the CD resides; installation folder for the program on C: drive), it says it cannot locate drivers for the device. Has anyone here heard of this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

If you look through the forums you will see horror stories about those serial to USB converters. Some people have gotten them to work while others give up after days of trying to get them to work. If possible see if you can find a non serial USB cable to use...I think you will have a lot less headaches.

If you look through the forums you will see horror stories about those serial to USB converters. Some people have gotten them to work while others give up after days of trying to get them to work. If possible see if you can find a non serial USB cable to use...I think you will have a lot less headaches.

Considering that the old Meridian employs a serial interface, I rather imagine this is why the OP was using a serial/USB conversion cable to begin with. It's not like he can plug a USB into his unit.

To the OP: there are a few manufacturers whose web sites do show Vista/7 drivers for their cables (e.g., Sabrent). Can you identify which manufacturer's cable you have now?

Considering that the old Meridian employs a serial interface, I rather imagine this is why the OP was using a serial/USB conversion cable to begin with. It's not like he can plug a USB into his unit.

To the OP: there are a few manufacturers whose web sites do show Vista/7 drivers for their cables (e.g., Sabrent). Can you identify which manufacturer's cable you have now?

Yes, I did need to use the serial to USB cable because the Meridian has a serial interface. I LOVE my new DeLorme because it has the USB interface and is much easier to use.

Regarding the manufacturer, I'm afraid I have no idea at this point. I bought the cable several years ago now and can't locate the literature (maybe threw it out) and also can't find any CD that may have come with it. The cable itself is simply labeled USB PnP with no manufacturer listed, and it worked great under XP. I don't recall installing any drivers for it, but I may have. Probably the best thing I can do at this point is purchase a new cable that comes with drivers for Vista/7. I did contact Magellan customer support, but since my good old Meridian is now a "legacy device", they had no Win 7 drivers and didn't expect to make any.

I do appreciate the replies.

I use a serial to USB converter quite a bit in my job (a controls & systems engineer) and have found that a lot don't work on some RS232 products.

The most compatible one I've found is a Targus PA088, they are discontinued now but if you can pick one up I would :)

Edited by eusty

Check the manufacturer of the adapter's website for drivers. The driver for my old Prolific serial to USB converter (which I don't use anymore since we got the new Rino 530 HCXes) wasn't digitally signed and I had to disable driver signing verification to make it work. You might have to do the same.

I've run into similar, when i got a Toshiba A505 a little more than a year ago.. It took quite awhile, before I could get it to accept a Prolific USB to Serial adaptor.. It took more than 3 drivers, before it would accept it.. The newer chips seem to get priority (FTDI, etc.) over the older ones. (Prolific.) there should be a Online version, but unless Microsoft decides to stop it's Upgrade Or Die mentality, you're going to keep running into incompatable equipment. (this being said, now that i had to replace that A505 with a Hp DV6-3210.)

A fellow unhappy Camper, Stephen (gelfling6)

The most compatible one I've found is a Targus PA088, they are discontinued now but if you can pick one up I would :)

That was a quality gadget in its day, but did Targus ever release any new drivers after XP? I have a feeling that Vista/7 users might run into problems.

There are vista/7 drivers, but only 32bit ones though.

So what it's beginning to sound like is that unless I can manage to locate a Serial to USB cable that has 64 bit Windows 7 drivers, I'm basically SOL. Too bad, because I still like the old Magellan and was going to give it to my wife to use, but loading the caches in manually and one by one is certainly a deterrent to that idea.

So what it's beginning to sound like is that unless I can manage to locate a Serial to USB cable that has 64 bit Windows 7 drivers, I'm basically SOL. Too bad, because I still like the old Magellan and was going to give it to my wife to use, but loading the caches in manually and one by one is certainly a deterrent to that idea.

I have the nexxtech USB 1.1 serial adapter cable and drivers that I use with xp I went to there site looking for drivers for 7 but no luck, however there was a advertisement for USB serial adaptor cable that works with 7 here is the link http://www.beaglesoft.com/232usb.htm?gclid=CLbd0cObhqkCFYfe4AodwWP3pw

Perhaps you can PM me on how to get geocash wp downloaded to my Mariden I have been unable to do so and have had to do it manualy.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions to everyone who posted. I lucked into a fix. I did a Google search and found a Microsoft user group thread dealing with this specific problem. Several members suggested a driver that worked with a particular chip set. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I installed the chip set and incredibly enough it worked! Guess I'm good to go now (until the next problem). I do appreciate all of the help I've received. Great group of people here in the gc forums!