Placing a cache abroad

Has anyone placed a cache abroad?

We go to the same part of France several times a year and my mum lives out there for months at a time. How would we go about placing a cache in the surrounding area? Would we need to contact a local cacher to maintain it, or can I get my mother to check it when needed...she isn't a cacher, yet!

Many thanks.

Isn't it better to place one in an area that YOU can maintain? Depending on others to take care of something that isn't theirs really isn't the best way to go....just my thoughts....

Why not just take some TB's with you and place them there instead of planting a cache.

Edited by KBfamily

Isn't it better to place one in an area that YOU can maintain? Depending on others to take care of something that isn't theirs really isn't the best way to go....just my thoughts....

Why not just take some TB's with you and place them there instead of planting a cache.

If they go out there several times a year, it sounds like they can maintain it themselves.

I'm looking at doing one in Italy... under similar conditions... and there is a lack of caches there too.

Before you invest too much time and imagination in the idea I suggest you email the local French reviewer about your plans, explaining fully how often you go there and (roughly) how long your mother is there in residence. It sounds to me like you could make a pretty good case for being able to maintain it but the reviewer is the one you'll need to convince.

MrsB :)

I am the proud owner of a cache just over 5,100 miles from home

GC1PHX5 Stateline Pass is in the Nevada Desert some way outside Las Vegas.

HOWEVER, I should point out that it is only there cos I had a great day out caching with the local reviewer and a couple of other local cachers( 2-Old and Mojave Rattler ) and it was his idea that I should do it.

Moosemob kindly looks after several caches for visitors to the area, although they need little in the way of maintence visits fortunately

Take a look at the s

Edited by geohatter
request from poster