Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Nyltiak

Geocaching at 4-H Camp

Hi all,

I'm interning with my local cooperative extension service & 4-H for the summer. I'm required to do an intern project, but I wanted to incorporate it with the class I have to teach at week long summer camp. I immediately thought of geocaching, because most kids have not experienced it, they get to be outdoors, and they get to learn about coords and GPS.

We have 3 class days, for 50 minutes a day. I was thinking the first day could be spent with them learning about what Geocaching is, about longitude and latitude, and how a GPS works. I believe I'm able to borrow a handful of GPS' from the state office, so each kid would be able to have their own or be in pairs. The second day we'd review how to use the GPS and go out and find a couple of caches that I would have hidden around the camp. The third day would be solid caching.

I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas of how I could do this. Also, I'd really appreciate any resources (handouts, etc) that I could use to give to the kids.

Any help?

-Kaitlyn

Hi all,

I'm interning with my local cooperative extension service & 4-H for the summer. I'm required to do an intern project, but I wanted to incorporate it with the class I have to teach at week long summer camp. I immediately thought of geocaching, because most kids have not experienced it, they get to be outdoors, and they get to learn about coords and GPS.

We have 3 class days, for 50 minutes a day. I was thinking the first day could be spent with them learning about what Geocaching is, about longitude and latitude, and how a GPS works. I believe I'm able to borrow a handful of GPS' from the state office, so each kid would be able to have their own or be in pairs. The second day we'd review how to use the GPS and go out and find a couple of caches that I would have hidden around the camp. The third day would be solid caching.

I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas of how I could do this. Also, I'd really appreciate any resources (handouts, etc) that I could use to give to the kids.

Any help?

-Kaitlyn

You may want to include a short outdoor portion on the first day. It can be included as a reward and incentive for them to pay attention during the lecture portion. Even just going outside and having them try to walk due north or due east would be a simple, fun first task. Hopefully it'll get them excited for the next day too.

You may want to include a short outdoor portion on the first day. It can be included as a reward and incentive for them to pay attention during the lecture portion. Even just going outside and having them try to walk due north or due east would be a simple, fun first task. Hopefully it'll get them excited for the next day too.

Thanks! I was wanting to get them outside to do something to show they understand how to use a GPS and just work with it. I was unsure of what activities could be done though. Just learning the directions might work well! Thank you!

I found a 4-H Geocoin in a cache.

I think I designed that 4-H Coin! I designed the one for NYS 4-H, and as far as I know, it's the only 4-H Coin available.

Hi all,

Any help?

-Kaitlyn

I Kaitlin,

We also just a support page on Geocaching.com. There is a document downloadable from the Geocaching and Education page that may be helpful - how to host a one-off event. if you need further help, please email contact@Groundspeak.com.