Geocaching in Bangkok

Da By's

i am planning a trip to thailand in october 2011, i will be in bangkok and chiang mai. i will be in bangkok for two days touring the city. can someone tell me a few things about geocaching in bangkok? what datum do i set my gps too? do i keep it at wgs84 or do i have to change it to something else. also can you reccommend any caches that would be easy to find/get. i do not have much time to spend searching for a cache. also are their any places i should try and avoid or things to look out for. i am comming from a small town in eastern canada with only 3000 people live (actually it is considered a big town here) and going to a city of 9 million.

i am planning a trip to thailand in october 2011, i will be in bangkok and chiang mai. i will be in bangkok for two days touring the city. can someone tell me a few things about geocaching in bangkok? what datum do i set my gps too? do i keep it at wgs84 or do i have to change it to something else.

Not sure what you mean by this. When I travel to Bangkok, I just turn on my GPS and let it find the satellites, so I am guessing that you will not have to do anything.

also can you reccommend any caches that would be easy to find/get. i do not have much time to spend searching for a cache. also are their any places i should try and avoid or things to look out for. i am comming from a small town in eastern canada with only 3000 people live (actually it is considered a big town here) and going to a city of 9 million.

I have found that due to the amount of interference (tall buildings, powerlines, etc, etc.), I seem to have quite a bit of GPS bouncing. Of course, it could just be due to my GPS (Garmin etrex Vista) or me. :) So, I recommend that you print out or write down the pertinent information about each cache you are looking for. I have found that if I just go out searching with no paper backup, I generally come up empty handed.

Being an urban environment, a lot of the caches are going to be small - think nano size. Bangkok is a busy place at all hours, so it is rare that you will be unobserved at most of the caches. Talking into your GPS unit while searching works pretty good.

Here is another thread that gives what I thought was a relatively easy but fun cache.

Fun cache in Bangkok