Can't log in to GEOCACHING.COM (but forums ok)

Since I logged out on my computer a week or so ago, I cannot log in to the main site (Geocaching.com) but I can log in to the Groundspeak Forums. This problem logging in is only from my home computer which I use most of the time. It only recognizes me as a visitor even though the forums recognize me.

I was able to log in to the site and the forums from my Android and from someone else's lap top while away last week with no problems. Please help!

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question. I tried getting help from the site. :sad:

I have the same problem as you...though it is from every computer I own. I have TBs from vacation that I was unable to log. I see one of them was grabbed from me already (notice in my e-mail). I tried clicking on the links in the e-mail too, to go to the cache, or contact the person who grabbed the TB from me...no bueno. Soooo frustrating. I have cleaned out all cookies and cache. Flushed my DNS. Restarted my computer...nothing works. Ever since the website update I have had this problem. It took me a week to be able to log in the first time. Randomly there will be a day or two where the site won't load for me. Now it's been almost a week again. :`(

It took me a while to figure out that the cookie named QAP13XAS was the one from geocaching.

I deleted it and still can not log in. :angry:

I recognize that paw! :D

Looks like this thread in the "Getting Started" forum could be merged with this new thread.

Sorry to hear folks are having problems. I just tried now, and it works fine for me, logging in on the "Hide and Seek a cache" page.

Edited by Pup Patrol

It took me a while to figure out that the cookie named QAP13XAS was the one from geocaching.

I deleted it and still can not log in. :angry:

I recognize that paw! :D

Looks like this thread in the "Getting Started" forum could be merged with this new thread.

Sorry to hear folks are having problems. I just tried now, and it works fine for me, logging in on the "Hide and Seek a cache" page.

That was my question, then noticed somebody else having problems.

I have cleared out my cookies. I am allowing/not allowing pop-ups. I am saying remember/do not remember me.

I got rid of Internet Explorer 9 and went back to IE 8.

What is a DNS?

Update: If i turn on Internet with ad-ons disabled, i'm fine! Finally. At least for now.

I never realized how much i "need" this web site.

Edited by ncfinn

I was having this problem and I went into tools drop down menu in internet explorer and choose internet options. From there it's internet security tab and then add geocaching.com as a trusted site. Be sure the box below the add on window concerning http: is unchecked. I hope this helps.

If i turn all my add-ons off, i can log into geocaching.com and look at the co-ords.

But if add-ons are off, i can not download the co-ords directly to my GPSr.

The site tells me i do not have the needed communicator, even though i have been using it for years.

Add-ons must be on to re-download the communicator, but then i agaib can not get back into geocaching.com.

It is a catch-22 and i hate it.

Any more suggestions, other than professional help?

:angry::mad::angry::mad::angry::mad::tired:

If i turn all my add-ons off, i can log into geocaching.com and look at the co-ords.

The site tells me i do not have the needed communicator, even though i have been using it for years.

Add-ons must be on to re-download the communicator, but then i agaib can not get back into geocaching.com.

Have you tried to figure out which of the add-ons is causing the problem? Most likely, it is only one that you actually need to disable.

Have you checked the cookies? Delete the cookie from gc.com and log in.

I deleted it and still can not log in.

:angry:

Is it coincidence that this thread about "website issues" was brought back on a sunday?

Disable them one by one until you can log into gc. Then you know which add-on is causing the problem.

I actually solved the original problem by removing this site from "trusted sites" in the browser! So, when you list it as a "trusted site", you cannot log in. Makes sense--not!

Now I have a new problem as I just installed Internet Explorer 9 and cannot download a cache at all. I tried over and over again to download the plug-in but IE9 doesn't recognize it or the site doesn't recognize I have it. Never had a problem downloading a cache before. Now I have to open a different browser to download caches. Anyone have an idea on this new problem. Gets really tiresome . . . .

I actually solved the original problem by removing this site from "trusted sites" in the browser! So, when you list it as a "trusted site", you cannot log in. Makes sense--not!

Now I have a new problem as I just installed Internet Explorer 9 and cannot download a cache at all. I tried over and over again to download the plug-in but IE9 doesn't recognize it or the site doesn't recognize I have it. Never had a problem downloading a cache before. Now I have to open a different browser to download caches. Anyone have an idea on this new problem. Gets really tiresome . . . .

Have you tried Firefox? I am using version 4 and (touch wood) not having any issues.

I have 26 add-ons. I turned each one individually off/on (opposite of what it had been).

Still can not download co-ords. I can see that i do have the communicator in my computer, but with add-ons off the computer will not see it.

Please keep sending suggestions.

Firefox works fine. It is just that I use IE and am used to it. I know. . . Mr, Caty is always telling me to change to FF permanently. This may be the push I need.

Ncfinn, maybe you should try another browser. Not IE9, though.

It was IE8 in which I had to remove this site as a "trusted site" to resume being able to log in. Don't even know how it got pegged as a trusted site.

HALLELUJAH!!! It finally works today. Just randomly. Didn't change or update anything on my computer. Didn't turn any ad-ons off. It finally just started working. I don't know why it does this. I can't get any answers. It just randomly works (or doesn't) for me. I still get e-mail notifications, so I know other people are having no problem. So weird.

I too have begun to have this problem. Can log in fine from my phone, but not from my laptop tethered through my phone. Cleared the browsing history completely with no luck. Seems odd that you can log in on one computer, but not another. So I would assume it has something to do with IE, but if others have tried other browsers with no luck, then...

Well, I have contacted Groundspeak. So far they have no idea what is causing it, but are looking into it. I hope they find a solution soon because it has really put a damper on our caching. :( I can get my phone to work sometimes. I hate getting notices in my e-mail!!! lol. All these new caches that I can't go find. :P I'm crossing my fingers that it will get resolved soon!

Just a note: On my laptop I tried downloading and using both Firefox and Opera to see if it was IE, but neither of those worked from that particular computer.

I use Windows7 on all my computers {except the phone} and it seems to be only happening on the laptop for some reason? For the other thread about this it wouldn't be the OS causing this odd problem.

I use Windows 7 as well. My other computers use Vista & XP. Doesn't work from any of them (right now, it did a few days ago). So far Groundspeak is stumped. They said if they cannot replicate the problem they may not be able to tell me what the trouble is.

Obviously I am not the only one though. Has anyone else contacted Groundspeak? Maybe if enough people do we can get this figured out.

Edited by crazycachingcouple

A work-around that I found:

I still can't log in to the GC site from the main page using that drop-down log in window. But, I found if while in the forums here and I click on my name at the top to view my profile it will try to take me to my profile but says I need to log in. So at that screen just click on the log in link and it takes you to a full page login page and it works from there.

Not sure if this will help any others that have been having this problem, but worth a try.

I have tried clicking on my profile from here and it will not load.

Here's the weird thing. I went to Starbucks to try the wifi there...and it works! When I came back home, however it would not work. At home I have tried both my wifi and plugging directly into the cable modem. It would be understandable if it the site did not work at all at my house (well not really, but it would be consistent). But it HAS worked. Most recently on the 9th (later I noticed they performed a small update on this date: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=275795). Then it quit working again the next day. I really have no clue. I have not tried Chrome yet, I am going to download and see if that browser makes a difference. :[

I hate IE too.

So, they are telling me now that since it works at Sbux, it has to be a firewall issue and to contact my Internet provider. I don't have any firewalls turned on my home computer (and tried turning off the one on my router) so I don't think that is the case. The fact that the site still working SOME of the time (and that others have problems too) leads me to believe that it is still something from the update causing this, not my Internet provider. I have never had a problem with any other website loading.

I've asked if a refund is possible since obviously I will not be able to use the site. This is so frustrating because I can't see us being able to do a whole lot of caching without being able to access the site from home. :`(

Okay! Working now. I have absolutely no idea why, since, well, I guess it shouldn't be. This is what I wrote Groundspeak:

"I called Comcast and the site is working for me now. He is putting in a case for Comcast to look into the issue, but did not think the issue was on their end. The only thing he did was change our modem from allowing the website to resolve the DNS to using a cached list to resolve. He switched it back and forth several times and it worked both ways after that. When he tried to ping the website, or do a DNS lookup through a 3rd party website, the geocaching site does not show up. But all reasons on his end it should not work for me (but it did). He was puzzled why it was working and he hoped it wasn't a fluke (like before, since it works for me sometimes), but said that if it happened again, it most likely was a website issue. He was also familiar with Geocaching since his wife was very into it."

Haha, I don't know that any of that info will help anyone else, but there you have it. ;)