What's the most dangerous animal you've come across?

While caching in Florida, we came across a water moccasin on land that apparently had just eaten a large meal and wasn't going anywhere fast. Just this weekend, while signing the log, a ruffed grouse came out of the woods and on to the rail trail and started pecking at my shoe. I guess the cache was somewhere near her nest. Other than that, it's been the ticks we pick up in the woods. They are potentially the most dangerous things we've run across/

The most dangerous? Ticks and mosquitoes. I've also encountered a few copperheads and and rattlesnakes and lots of black bear (we have black bear up the wazoo in NJ).

Also on an overnight backpack/cache hunt in the Adirondacks we heard blood curdling feline sounding yowls close to our tent. They kept us up for a while wondering what kind of animal was responsible until they faded into the distance. When we got home we listened to recordings of some North American cats, bobcat, lynx and mountain lion and the closest to what we heard was the lynx.

Humans.
That.

I've had close encounters with black bears, alligators, venomous snakes, feral cattle and all manner of stinging, blood sucking insects, but mankind is certainly the most dangerous.

Second this. There are a number of feral/russian hogs locally, but they usually just run off.
Yep, when I saw this pic, I thought "The one on the left looks more dangerous to me..."
Did it look like this (the one on the right)?

IMAG0766.jpg

I have to admit, though, I was more frightened by the charging bear I ran into one day.

Humans.

That.

I've had close encounters with black bears, alligators, venomous snakes, feral cattle and all manner of stinging, blood sucking insects, but mankind is certainly the most dangerous.

Second this. There are a number of feral/russian hogs locally, but they usually just run off.

Agreed.

Humans are certainly the most dangerous and repugnant creatures you will likely ever encounter.

Humans.

That.

Humans was my response as well. Come across drug dealers and gang bangers on occasion.

Humans.

That.

Humans was my response as well. Come across drug dealers and gang bangers on occasion.

From experience, (thankfully not much experience) an equalizer generally renders all but the most suicidal or idiotic humans as gentle as a kitten. Some dogs will even shy from a gun.

Also from experience, I've never had a bear or any other wild animal shy from my gun pointed at them in case they got too close.

113951492_332d8bcd31.jpg

Sidebar: For those that got the reference (by the photo) to the 80's cop show. It was unintended. :rolleyes:

Also, I own one of those and it has to be the most impractical sidearm EVER invented. It's the most expensive paperweight I ever bought. What the heck were the Israelies thinkin'? :rolleyes:

Edited by Snoogans

Roaming skunks and teenagers!

I'm going with skunk too as the most dangerous animal I've run across. Potentially a long miserable walk and/or ride home after meeting one of them.

Second to that I'll go with moose but I haven't seen one caching yet just doing other activities.

He had some buddies just up the trail. The bggest miilipedes I have ever seen.

e3b48d73-681d-43ca-bb94-e25097e4e694.jpg

It's hard to tell how big those are from the photo without something for scale. There were a lot of these very close to this cache. These were about 9" long.

DSC03268.jpg

After finding the cache, we entered the park in a Toyota Landcruiser with a guide. At one point we stopped near about 50 elephant in a herd which included several babies. At one point, a large male was pretty vocal about how close we were and the guide strongly suggested we move on quickly. However, more concerning were the dozen or so Tsetse flies that shared the vehicle with us for awhile.

We haven't really had any bad problems with humans while geocaching, so I'm going to go with deer.

A deer darted across the road, and Ms. CR nicked it while we were driving to a cache. If the deer had been a half-second slower, then it could have been a very different story.

Deer kill 130 Americans each year in automobile accidents. If you see one cross the road, be alert for others that might be following.

What the heck were the Israelies thinkin'?

Israeli # 1 ) "Hey guys, what can we do to get into the American firearms market?"

Israeli # 2 ) "Let's make a gun that is so big it is impractical, that shoots a bullet so large most folks can't control the recoil!"

Israeli # 1 ) "Can we make it with a gold finish?"

a5085163-3f7f-4ab4-b3f8-5bc888881276.jpg

What the heck were the Israelies thinkin'?

Israeli # 1 ) "Hey guys, what can we do to get into the American firearms market?"

Israeli # 2 ) "Let's make a gun that is so big it is impractical, that shoots a bullet so large most folks can't control the recoil!"

Israeli # 1 ) "Can we make it with a gold finish?"

a5085163-3f7f-4ab4-b3f8-5bc888881276.jpg

In my defense I was 21 and in a mad rush to exercise my right to own and arm bears. Black finish though. There was a Colt Delta Elite Ar-15 in a haliburton case right next to it for the exact same price. Oh I could kick myself.

Male Me + 21 = Dumb from personal experience.

For me - nothing yet. Roughly 200 of my finds are "in the desert" which means rattlesnakes and scorpions are possible. I believe I heard a rattlesnake once so I went in the other direction. So I guess my most dangerous animal thus far would be "fear of rattlesnakes". :)

Lots of ticks. A really long snake in a tree that scared the bejesus out of me!!

So... I know how to handle rattlesnakes. Tread loudly (vibration wise) so the snake will let you know he's there (usually). Then avoid. :)

How do you protect against ticks? Hats & sprays?