Blank Logs Log

3 blank logs in April

Joined on Saturday, logged 2 caches on Sunday

"Last visited" on Sunday

Logs on my caches are dated on Monday.

All 5 logs (my caches & the other 2) are blank.

My panties are fine, neither twisted or in a bunch.

That's the only 3 on 59 owned caches. I've seen multi-paragraph logs that said as much and not more in the grand scheme of things.

Wouldn't it be better data if you took a random sample from some previous year, say 2004 in a few areas both rural and metropolitan in different states/countries, in a week's period of time and then did the same with another sample in those area in a week in a recent year? It's a skewed result just asking forum members if they got any blank logs.

That way you could see if they're increasing or decreasing. In theory you could also collect data about what kind of caches are getting more blank logs than others as well.

Blank logs are only possible via the smartphone apps. Therefore, there were none to be found until last yearish when those came online. This, of course, guarantees that the OP is going to declare that they are increasing since they didn't formerly exist and will increase as smartphone logging increases (both by new cachers and experienced ones). Of course, this very fact won't affect the feeling of each of us. Those that think that this is the end of the game as we know it will still believe that while those that don't care about the issue still won't.

Wouldn't it be better data if you took a random sample from some previous year, say 2004 in a few areas both rural and metropolitan in different states/countries, in a week's period of time and then did the same with another sample in those area in a week in a recent year? It's a skewed result just asking forum members if they got any blank logs.

That way you could see if they're increasing or decreasing. In theory you could also collect data about what kind of caches are getting more blank logs than others as well.

Blank logs are only possible via the smartphone apps. Therefore, there were none to be found until last yearish when those came online. This, of course, guarantees that the OP is going to declare that they are increasing since they didn't formerly exist and will increase as smartphone logging increases (both by new cachers and experienced ones). Of course, this very fact won't affect the feeling of each of us. Those that think that this is the end of the game as we know it will still believe that while those that don't care about the issue still won't.

This brings up an excellent point. Well, a point I just thought about, at least, Sbell111 certainly didn't say it. I myself basically hide smalls and regulars in the woods. I don't consider very many of them to be spectacular (except for one Earthcache), but they're still caches in the woods, and I have placed 10 multi's. I think most of us would agree that new cachers go for "easier" hides when they're starting out, right? So yeah, I might only have 2 blank logs ever on my caches, but I sure noticed this one on a 100 foot from parking 2 day old park-n-grab yesterday. And no, this doesn't mean I'm going to start reporting other people's blank logs. :anibad:

Yep I have had several no big WOOP

I'm not looking for your "Whoop" or your opinion in this thread. I'm looking for counts. If you want to post your opinion on blank logs then please start a new thread.

That seems almost as controlling as when one attempts to tell others how they should log their caches.

It is controlling. As the person that started this thread, I have that right.

Actually other than making the original post and request you have no right to control anything that anybody cares to post. This forum is well known for subjects that stray to the limits of the universe and back (sometimes even to alternate universes). To actually expect people to comply is lubricious.

Personally i don't care about what is in logs. If people want to submit a blank log than they should and a conversation about it is more interesting than a count.

Plus a survey like this has no scientific validity. To do it correctly you would have to select a random group of people and get then to submit results over time. To try and extrapolate definitive results from such a general response defies the laws of statistics (have you tried doing political polling, they seem to get wild results from no info).

Yes, as OP, I do have some control over my thread. Would a moderator please either close this thread, or make a statement that future posts are to remain on-topic. I thought it was a good idea at the time. But there is way too much off-topic noise and opinions for it to be of any practical use.

To Walt Hunting... I never claimed that it would be scientific. Good grief... I'm not stupid. I called it a "log", not a survey or study. Many here have reported no blank logs. To which, I must add, "so far". Its coming to your neighborhood soon, and in increasing numbers. Maybe you don't care, or maybe you don't care because it isn't a part of your reality yet.

Yes, as OP, I do have some control over my thread. Would a moderator please either close this thread, or make a statement that future posts are to remain on-topic. I thought it was a good idea at the time. But there is way too much off-topic noise and opinions for it to be of any practical use.

To Walt Hunting... I never claimed that it would be scientific. Good grief... I'm not stupid. I called it a "log", not a survey or study. Many here have reported no blank logs. To which, I must add, "so far". Its coming to your neighborhood soon, and in increasing numbers. Maybe you don't care, or maybe you don't care because it isn't a part of your reality yet.

Good idea...just thought I would keep this on topic by posting a blank post.

Look carefully.........

Edited by sword fern

Question for those of you who are bothered by blank logs (like me). Those of you who are not so bothered, please ignore.

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) who is a serial "blank logger". I do not know her well enough to call her to the mattresses on it. Suggestions for tactful approaches to addressing this? Ready....GO!

--Matt

I care more about how my steak is done than logs. And you cant control it you can only request that free communication be silenced.

Walt (and others) this thread was never about opinions on blank logs. As I asked in the beginning, if you want a thread to post your opinions in, please start one.

Many here have reported no blank logs. To which, I must add, "so far". Its coming to your neighborhood soon, and in increasing numbers. Maybe you don't care, or maybe you don't care because it isn't a part of your reality yet.

Walt (and others) this thread was never about opinions on blank logs. As I asked in the beginning, if you want a thread to post your opinions in, please start one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the quote above from your message an opinion on blank logs? You can't really expect to offer yours, while telling others they can't offer theirs.

Many here have reported no blank logs. To which, I must add, "so far". Its coming to your neighborhood soon, and in increasing numbers. Maybe you don't care, or maybe you don't care because it isn't a part of your reality yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the quote above from your message an opinion on blank logs? You can't really expect to offer yours, while telling others they can't offer theirs.

Yes it is. I tried to avoid commenting on the comments. That is why I am asking for a moderator's help in moderating this thread.

My opinion is that this is a free speech area.

From the Forum Guidelines:

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

This thread already seems to satisfy this condition.

But if the OP veers off topic, are comments to those comments then on-topic?

• Please, no bashing or supporting of them. This is just to accumulate data regarding the frequency of empty Found It logs.
  • Please don't post the number of blank logs that you do not get. That would make this thread kind of useless
  • I'm not looking for your "Whoop" or your opinion in this thread. I'm looking for counts.
  • I am not looking to start another blank log controversy. I am trying to create a thread where we can document blank logs
  • My intentions here are to accumulate some useful information, not to fight

I think that I have made the topic of this thread perfectly clear by now.

• Please, no bashing or supporting of them. This is just to accumulate data regarding the frequency of empty Found It logs.
  • Please don't post the number of blank logs that you do not get. That would make this thread kind of useless
  • I'm not looking for your "Whoop" or your opinion in this thread. I'm looking for counts.
  • I am not looking to start another blank log controversy. I am trying to create a thread where we can document blank logs

From the forum guidelines:

9. We generally do not allow surveys to be conducted using this forum.

'survey's are a violation of the forum guidelines. Which would make your request a violation - since you are prohibiting discussion, numbers alone is clearly just a survey.

It is my opinion that OPs cannot police their threads or attempt to shut down discussion in their own threads. That is the moderator's job to make a call if something is off topic.

Just got seven logs by the same newbie cacher, that consisted of simply "Log Date: 5/25/2011".

I consider them to be pretty much blank logs.

The iPhone screws up and they keep sending it because they think it has not been sent.

What a nuisance ......

Seven different caches, and when I look at the cache pages, they are indeed blank. What I read in the email was added by Groundspeak. This cacher signed up today, logged 18, 16 of them blank.

Yep..I have some... Also, no thank yous also [tftc]...

Must be the iPhone folks...

Newbie iPhones folks...I have met one in the field recently...he is a CO too...

This is a gross generalization.

--A Newbie iPhone User

Better send better logs then... or just go home and use a computer.

My logs are fine and are just as, if not more, informative and thorough than those of many, if not most, "traditional"/non-iPhone cachers -- including yours. Maybe you should look before making an assumption based on a generalization.

'survey's are a violation of the forum guidelines. Which would make your request a violation - since you are prohibiting discussion, numbers alone is clearly just a survey.

It is my opinion that OPs cannot police their threads or attempt to shut down discussion in their own threads. That is the moderator's job to make a call if something is off topic.

Thank you for your opinions, but what makes you think that it is a survey? It was intended to be a log. A place to record numbers.

And yes, as OP, I have the right to request my thread to be closed, and I can protest off topic posts.

Thank you for your opinions, but what makes you think that it is a survey? It was intended to be a log. A place to record numbers.

And yes, as OP, I have the right to request my thread to be closed, and I can protest off topic posts.

I actually "reported" your thread when you asked for it to be closed like 4 days ago, but nothing happened. You could always report yourself. :)

Sorry to be late to the party, knowschad. I would love to know how to keep a thread on topic, and until I find that magic wand I'm afraid I will have to honor your alternate request and close the thread.

PS. I have never received a blank log nor have I placed one - except when making a chubby finger mistake.