How to securely attach a bison tube?

I'm hiding a cache on this here island.

5748553709_299926e36b_z.jpg

Anyway, I need a way to firmly attach it to the branch on the bush. Anything I can buy at the local Home Depot, or may have laying around the house?

Here's a pic, with a penny for size comparison.

5748539175_17084ca331_b.jpg

I'm doing this tommorrow, so I need help to figure this out quickly!

the flooding issues can be resolved quite easily by putting it up in the tree

the question is does it get visited by muggles? a larger cache would be easier for them to spot

size has nothing to do with the enjoyment cachers will get from it, and here's Proof

Area is prone to flooding, larger caches would float away.

Note that the O-ring of bison tubes deteriorates very quickly and so it will end up being not really waterproof very soon. It will definitely not survive being submerged for very long, if at all.

Zip tie (cable tie) from the hardware store.

Why not place a larger cache there? It looks as though you have plenty of room, and I think it would give finders a better experience.

If you have those metal keyrings, then attatch it to the top of the hole of the cap bison, then slip it to a secure branch (it will be pretty secure but for reinforcement) and if you have hot wax or a glue gun (how will you get one on the island while it is hot? :unsure: ) then you can spread some hot glue/wax and secure it finely to a branch.

Edited by sword fern

Thanks for the tip on cable ties. I found like 100 of them that fit in my dad's toolbox.

I would hide a larger cache, but I don't have the money for another Ammo Box, I'll probably replace it in a couple months if I do ever get the money.

What does an ammo box cost you vs. a Bison Tube? Facts and figures, please? I'm guessing about $6 for the Bison Tube, and about $8 for the ammo box.

Anyway, I need a way to firmly attach it to the branch on the bush. Anything I can buy at the local Home Depot, or may have laying around the house?

Serious question, CG... its that a satellite photo, or a closeup of a branch or stick with lichen/moss around it? At first, I thought the latter, but now I'm thinking that it is an arial view.

Serious question, CG... its that a satellite photo, or a closeup of a branch or stick with lichen/moss around it? At first, I thought the latter, but now I'm thinking that it is an arial view.

Serious question... Did you somehow miss the road with the cars on it? <_<

:lol:

Thanks for the tip on cable ties. I found like 100 of them that fit in my dad's toolbox.

5749453638_9cc0614c87_b.jpg

I would hide a larger cache, but I don't have the money for another Ammo Box, I'll probably replace it in a couple months if I do ever get the money.

Cable ties would be a bad choice since they would rot due to UV exposure then the cache would be lost.

Zip tie (cable tie) from the hardware store.

Why not place a larger cache there? It looks as though you have plenty of room, and I think it would give finders a better experience.

There's a kind of green plastic-coated steel wire that gardeners use to hold up small trees. Twist that loosely around a healthy tree branch, and you could hang the container from that. It's best to have a clip for it (such as a carabiner or something), so finders don't need to un-twist the wire. If you're using a little bison tube, you could just make a large hook out of that wire and bend it into a kind of clip.

I have a regular ammo box fastened in a similar way, in an area prone to flooding.

Edited by kunarion

Cable ties would be a bad choice since they would rot due to UV exposure then the cache would be lost.

The black ones are UV resistant, thus they last longer in the elements.

personally i have never had a cable tie rot and i have some thats been outside for years,not all on caches but other things.

I have a cache placed in a similar environment. Its been out there for 4 years. My experience has been that standard bison tubes will not stay water-resistant due to the failure of the o-ring. I highly recommend the Delrin tubes, they seem to be impervious to UV and the o-ring is internal, so its protected and doesn't deteriorate. Para cord will eventually wear out (although it fades nicely, adding a touch of camo in a woodland setting :ph34r:). I second the fishing wire for tethering, but you have to leave plenty of slack so the wire doesn't garrote the tree.

I cable tied flags on my golf cart at work 2 years ago and they are still holding up with no sign of deterioration

edit to add

the white ones :D

Edited by vagabond

5752301328_96da8b791a_b.jpg

I went to the island, it was a bust... First, I noticed a steep incline in to the creek, then I noticed the amount of mud. I decided to man up and take the mud, I put one foot in and realized it was FREEZING. I remember swimming in here during the middle of the summer and the water was nice and warm. So i'm going to come back in the summer when A. it hasn't rained for the last month, so it won't be as muddy, and B. the water won't be freezing cold as it had a chance to heat up.

The best part is, by then I can probably afford an ammo box.

I did come home with something though...

MUD!

5751757539_60eb7a2e6d.jpg

personally i have never had a cable tie rot and i have some thats been outside for years,not all on caches but other things.

I'm a cable guy, we use the black ones to tie up the cable wires up on the poles. Full exposure to the elements all the time, they last for decades. I've been climbing poles for 27 tears and I've never seen a bad one.

I agree the black ones will last a while. Its the white ones that get brittle and break more quickly do to exposure. I have a hand molded piece of plexi zip tied to on of my tail lights that got busted. At first i used white ties but they didn't make it a year before breaking. Then i went with the black ones and its going on 3 years now without a problem. Though the piece of plexi is getting a bit spider webbed with micro cracks do to exposure.

Edited by mpilchfamily

size has nothing to do with the enjoyment cachers will get from it, and here's Proof

I doubt that one cache would qualify as proof of your claim. I mention this because my personal observations seem to indicate the exact opposite. From talking with hordes of cachers at events, and reading comments on these forums, size does play a role in the level of enjoyment cachers will have. How many threads to we get in these forums worded to the effect of, "I hate micros"? I can only remember one thread that was worded to the effect of "I hate ammo cans", and it was nonsensical. With only a handful of exceptions, it's almost a universal axiom that, if everything else were equal, a bigger cache would get more love than a smaller cache. You hid a cache in a way kewl spot. That is, in my opinion, a big part of the reason that 36% of premium members who found it gave it favorite points. I would be willing to wager that an ammo can, hidden on that island, with the same degree of challenge to locate, would get more than 36%.

Or, I could take your approach:

Etch-o-Sketch, an ammo can, is at 52%

Wherigo Spring Hopping, an ammo can, is at 48%

BoonieMan Springs, an ammo can, is at 57%

Wherigo Night Caching, an ammo can, is at 56%

Why Black Suburbans?, an ammo can, is at 60%

Wherigo Stalking Blue Man, an ammo can, is at 40%

Does that prove that people enjoy regulars more than micros? Of course not.

That's 6 caches out of 1,394,002 active hides.

Statistically irrelevant.

I'm a cable guy, we use the black ones to tie up the cable wires up on the poles. Full exposure to the elements all the time, they last for decades. I've been climbing poles for 27 tears and I've never seen a bad one.

Hey, I'm a cable guy also. 27 yrs in the biz. Where do you get your zip ties from? Out this way the UV light and severe weather breaks them down in a couple of years. I must go through a couple thousand of them a year.

What does an ammo box cost you vs. a Bison Tube? Facts and figures, please? I'm guessing about $6 for the Bison Tube, and about $8 for the ammo box.

Bison tubes,about 20 for around $8,ammo cans in my area 12 bucks.

I would be happy to find any cache out in such a cool location! I would agree that a bison tube might not be the best one as the O-rings do seem to be a problem. Going threw swagg out there would probibly make it funner. Ammo cans around my area are hard to find and expensive so I wouldn't expect that. If I was to make the hide and on the expensive side would probibly be water proof box from walmart. about $8 or a lock n lock with with a small hole drilled into one of the tabs. Then some fishing line. If it is a place you can get to often go with whatever you like. Even a water bottle preform with a hose clamp and some fishing line to it would probibly do the trick and stay dry for only a couple of bucks.

Your "proof" is inconclusive, at best. Looking at the cache page, it appears to be an awesome location. In my opinion, that is the first step in creating an awesome cache. Kudos! But, (again, just my opinion), location is not the final step. That cache only has a 37% favorites ratio. For your "proof" to be validated, you would need to demonstrate that an ammo can, at that location, (hidden appropiately for the size container, naturaly), with the same write up, would receive a lower percentage of favorite points. Since that runs directly against my own, (highly biased), experience, I doubt you would be able to generate such results. My guess would be that an ammo can, at such a wonderful site, would gather an even higher percentage of favorite points. But it's just a guess.

Many players don't care about size. The micro you submitted as your "proof" would certainly appeal to those folks. But, since they don't care about size, they would be equally happy with a larger container. So, we're about even at that point. Some players prefer the smaller end of the scale. That cache would hold greater appeal to them than a regular would. But many prefer a larger cache, if everything else is equal, as a larger cache offers greater variety in what can be done at ground zero. Swag can be traded, bugs can be dropped, etc. These folks would be the ones most likely to give a favorite point to a regular cache at that location, but not a micro.

Edited by Clan Riffster